Major Asheville Annexation!

Matthew

Great news! The city is finally annexing some of it's huge urbanized area into the city and looking to annex even more in the next two years! We could reach 150,000 or more, if all 69 square miles are annexed! To give you an idea of how big this is, the city of Asheville is currently only 41 square miles in size, with a population of around 73,000. We would more than double our size! We could move from 10th largest NC city to 6th largest in the next two years, if all the land is annexed! We have the 6th or 7th largest urbanized area in NC, if I'm not mistaken and our city should have a larger population than places with much smaller urbanized areas, like Wilmington, Cary and High Point. All I can say is, it's about time! We will get some respect now as a major city in this state!

Asheville lays groundwork for new annexation

By Jennifer Brevorka, STAFF WRITERMarch 9, 2004 10:33 p.m.

ASHEVILLE - Consider it a warning.

In a 5-2 vote Tuesday, Asheville City Council approved a resolution that allows the city to consider annexing about 69 square miles of unincorporated land in Buncombe County during the next two years. Council members Joe Dunn and Carl Mumpower voted against the resolution.

The ordinance, called a resolution of consideration, will allow the city to speed up the annexation process. With the resolution, if residents are advised a year in advance, city staff can make formal annexation requests to council and annex areas within 70 days, according to city officials.

But passing the ordinance doesn't mean the city will annex all of the land in the areas under consideration.

"There is nothing that says anything that is in (the area of consideration) will or can be annexed," said Planning Director Scott Shuford.

Shuford said areas would have to meet development guidelines for annexation, and the city would have to be able to provide city services before a district is actually annexed.

Using the area of consideration map passed in 2002, the city began the annexation process in January for six neighborhoods in Buncombe County. If finalized later this spring, 892 people and about 141 acres will be brought into the city limits by July.

Annexation is a sensitive issue for Buncombe County residents, who balk at paying the city's current tax rate of 53 cents per $100 of property valuation in addition to the county's 59-cent rate for what they perceive as little in return.

Asheville resident Betty B. Williams told council that by passing the resolution, and by council continuing to annex areas in the county, it would affect her ability to offer affordable rental housing in southern Buncombe County.

"You are cutting out every bit of affordable housing in the county," she told council. "So where does this burden on taxpayers end up? On the people who can least afford it, the renters."

Contact Brevorka at 232-2938 or [email protected].

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this could put Asheville on the map at the capitol. Right now, there are no major cities over 75,000 people out here and most of what's out here is farms and national parks. If the capitol sees a large city out here, they may finally begin to respect this city and this region as a residential area and not just the state's tourist playground. It could equal more money for the city from the state and US government and a greater awareness of the city when they work on such statewide issues as transportation and higher education. It also takes in those who use city services and don't pay their fair share. :P

I want to see Asheville ranked higher than Greenville. I do feel that we are in Greenville's shadow. Our TV and radio stations scream Greenville. You wouldn't know 102.5 was here in Henderson County. You would think they were in Greenville from listening to them. If we can move up on lists, I think our community can grow into a major city. And with proper planning, we can do it right! This city is just starting to make the lists developers look at. We haven't had to deal with a lot of the growth issues the big five have. We are just now getting our first Super Wal-mart and we got our first Target last year! This is a city that's just starting to become a big city. It should be intresting to see how the region works together to deal with this growth. I've alway been surprised that we don't have a Fortune 500 company here! Ingles is around #682, if I'm not mistaken? They move up every year. I do think we are the state's next boom city. For the first time in years there are proposals for real skyscrapers, retailers are looking at us and now our core city could reach 150,000 and become 6th largest in North Carolina. This is a very beautiful area, and I don't want to see it destroyed. I do want to see it grow into an independant city that has everything. A true hub for the region. A city the state would have to reconize and one that wouldn't get mistaken for Nashville. I tell people here at college (UGA) that I'm from Asheville and they say yeah, Nashville...I've been there. It's nice. Do you like Country Music? :angry::(

• 2 weeks later...

That is great news for Asheville! Any chance you have a map of the proposed annexation area?

Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson are the major cities in our local TV/Radio Market. This is not likely to change in that respect. This is because of Asheville's proximity to Greenville-Spartanburg.

The Media Market actually covers most of Western NC and the Upstate of SC and alittle bit of NE Georgia.

TVMarkets%20contiguous%20US%201.gif

This is a map of TV Markets which indicates a target audience.

This is not a map of signal reception.

The 4 major stations in the Upstate and Western NC are:

WYFF - 4- NBC - Greenville

WSPA- 7- CBS - Spartanburg

WLOS -13 - ABC - Asheville

WHNS- 21- FOX - Greenville

-there are several other stations too.

The problem is that the Upstate has more people than Werstern NC, the Upstate tends to dominate everything. It really bothered me when the Upstate channels decided to do this "South Carolina first" thing. They used to have the news that covered the whole area... Now i think only 13 covers W. NC.

I agree that Asheville is certainly in Greenville's shadow when they are certainly equal cities in many respects. Perhaps the annexation will give Asheville the boost it needs.

Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, SC-Asheville, NC

DMA Market Rank #36

4 - WYFF -- NBC

Greenville (Greenville) SC

B'casting power: 100 kW

Complete FCC data Address: 505 Rutherford Street, Greenville, SC 29609

Telephone: (864) 224-3842 Fax: (864) 240-5329

7 - WSPA -- CBS

Spartanburg (Spartanburg) SC

B'casting power: 316 kW

Complete FCC data Address: Spartanburg, SC 29306

Telephone: (864) 576-7777 Fax: (864) 576-5430

9 - WNTV-DT -- new, to be PBS-SCETV // ->WRLK-DT-32

B'casting power: 90 kW

Complete FCC data

13 - WLOS -- ABC

Asheville (Buncombe) NC

B'casting power: 178 kW

Complete FCC data Address: 288 Macon Avenue, Asheville, NC 28804

Telephone: (828) 255-0013

14 - WBSC-DT -- new, to be WB

Anderson (Anderson) SC

B'casting power: 310 kW

Complete FCC data

16 - WGGS -- TBN

B'casting power: 1120 kW

Complete FCC data Address: 3409 Rutherford Road, Taylors, SC 29687

Telephone: (864) 583-7943

18 - WNEH-DT -- new, to be PBS-SCETV // ->WRLK-DT-32

Greenwood (Greenwood) SC

B'casting power: 50 kW

Complete FCC data

21 - WHNS -- FOX/PAX

Asheville (Buncombe) NC

B'casting power: 3390 kW

Complete FCC data Address: 2 Elliott Street, Asheville, NC 28803

Telephone: (828) 253-2100

Email: [email protected]

23 - W23BQ -- TBN

Asheville (Buncombe) NC

B'casting power: 38 kW

Complete FCC data

24 - WNEG-DT -- new, to be CBS

Toccoa (Stephens) GA

B'casting power: 600 kW

Complete FCC data Address: See Ch.32 (below)

25 - WUNF-DT -- 1)PBS; 2)UNC-childrens; 3) UNC-ED // WUNC-DT-59

Asheville (Buncombe) NC

B'casting power: 98.6 kW

Complete FCC data

29 - WNTV -- PBS-SCETV // WRLK-35

B'casting power: 5000 kW

Complete FCC data

31 - W31AZ -- rlg. // WGGS-16

Hendersonville (Hendersonville) NC

B'casting power: 22.6 kW

Complete FCC data

32 - WNEG -- CBS

Toccoa (Stephens) GA

B'casting power: 646 kW

Complete FCC data Address: 100 Industrial Boulevard, Toccoa, GA 30577

Telephone: (706) 886-0032

33 - WUNF -- PBS

Asheville (Buncombe) NC

B'casting power: 1510 kW

Complete FCC data

35 - WGGS-DT -- new, to be TBN

B'casting power: 150 kW

Complete FCC data

38 - WNEH -- PBS-SCETV // WRLK-35

Greenwood (Greenwood) SC

B'casting power: 1780 kW

Complete FCC data

40 - WBSC -- WB

Anderson (Anderson) SC

B'casting power: 2570 kW

Complete FCC data Address: 100 Verdae Boulevard, Anderson, SC 29621

Telephone: (864) 226-9292

41 - W41BQ -- 3ABN

Asheville (Buncombe) NC

B'casting power: 37.9 kW

Complete FCC data

43 - WRET-DT -- new, to be PBS-SCETV // ->WRLK-DT-32

Complete FCC data

45 - WASV-DT -- UPN

Asheville (Buncombe) NC

B'casting power: 1000 kW

Complete FCC data Address:

49 - WRET -- PBS-SCETV // WRLK-35

B'casting power: 1740 kW

Complete FCC data Address: South Media Building South # C, Spartanburg, SC 29306

Telephone: (864) 503-9371

50 - W50CL -- TBN

Anderson (Anderson) SC

B'casting power: 16.8 kW

Complete FCC data

51 - WSQY-LP -- TBN

B'casting power: 10 kW

Complete FCC data

53 - WSPA-DT -- CBS

Complete FCC data Address: See Ch. 7 (above)

56 - WLOD-DT -- new, to be ABC

Asheville (Buncombe) NC

Complete FCC data Address: See Ch.13 (above)

57 - WHNS-DT -- new, to be FOX/PAX

Asheville (Buncombe) NC

Complete FCC data Address: See Ch.21 (above)

59 - WYFF-DT -- NBC

Complete FCC data Address: See Ch. 4 (above)

62 - WASV -- UPN

Asheville (Buncombe) NC

B'casting power: 5000 kW

Complete FCC data Address: 1293 Hendersonville Road, Asheville, NC 28803

Telephone: (828) 277-0902

64 - WAEN-LP -- PAX

Asheville (Buncombe) NC

Complete FCC data Address: 108B Old Naples Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792

Telephone: (828) 651-9236

69 - W69DC -- TBN

Asheville (Buncombe) NC