Summer Olympics in Nashville

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The olympics may not have been to Atlanta what they were to Barcelonia, but Atlanta was already a major world player in 1996. Since the Olympics ended, Atlanta has gained about 1 million people, so how can you say it was bad?

The only thing I don't understand is why people continue to fight that traffic? It's terrible!

• 1 month later...

Here is the venue plan for an Olympics or Pan American Games in Nashville, the "Athens of the South".

Existing Venues

Allen Arena, Lipscomb University-5000 for Judo, Taekwondo

Curb Events Centre, Belmont University-5000 for Fencing

Devault Memorial Stadium, Bristol, VA-4000 for Softball

Downtown Nashville-Triathlon

Dunn Centre, Austin Peay State University, Clarksville-9000 for Badminton

Finley Stadium, Chattanooga-21000 for Soccer

First Tennessee Field-15000 for Baseball

Gentry Centre, Tennessee State University-10000 for Boxing

Governors Stadium, Clarksville-20000

Hawkins Field, Vanderbilt University-5000 for Baseball

Herschel Greer Stadium-10000 for Baseball

Johnny Floyd Stadium, Middle Tennessee State University-32000 for Soccer

Liberty Bowl Stadium, Memphis-62380 for Soccer

LP Field-75000 for Soccer

Memorial Gymnasium, Vanderbilt University-15000 for Basketball, Handball

Murphy Centre- 11500 for Rythmic Gymnastics, Trampoline, Table Tennis, Wrestling

Nashville Arena-20000 for Basketball, Artistic Gymnastics

Nashville Convention Centre-3700 for Weightlifting

Nashville Municipal Auditorium-12000 for Volleyball

Natchez Trace Parkway- Road Cycling

Neyland Stadium, Knoxville-104079 for Soccer

Ocoee River, Polk County-10000 for Slalom Canoeing

Old Hickory Lake-15000 for Rowing, Sprint Canoeing

Percy Priest Lake-Sailing

Tennessee State Fairgrounds (this includes Music City Motorplex)-Modern Pentathlon

Vanderbilt University-41000 for Soccer

Warner Park-Mountain Biking, Equestrian

New Venues

Clarksville Olympic Velodrome-5800 for Track Cycling

Franklin Olympic Tennis Centre-9000 w/ 15 courts

Middle Tennessee State University Baseball Stadium-5000 for Baseball

Murfreesboro Olympic Aquatic Centre-15000 for Diving, Swimming, Synchronised Swimming, Water Polo

Olympic Stadium, Tennessee State University-50000 for athletics

Shelby Bottoms Park

Archery Venue-5000

Beach Volleyball Venue-8000 & 3000

BMX Field-5000

Tennessee Olympic Shooting Range-5000,3000,3000

That

Well there's one key fact you guys may be forgetting: Nashville is home to the World's Largest Adult Book Store. I see it all the time while driving on I-40 downtown.

Now I know some might say "it's probably not the world's largest", but that's beside the point. The point is that the sign says it's the largest - which I find to be a very impressive claim. Possibly even more impressive if it is really not the largest!!!

Anyway, if that one attraction is not enough by itself to land us the olympics, I would have to quesiton the sanity of the IOC. :D

Well there's one key fact you guys may be forgetting: Nashville is home to the World's Largest Adult Book Store. I see it all the time while driving on I-40 downtown.

Now I know some might say "it's probably not the world's largest", but that's beside the point. The point is that the sign says it's the largest - which I find to be a very impressive claim. Possibly even more impressive if it is really not the largest!!!

Anyway, if that one attraction is not enough by itself to land us the olympics, I would have to quesiton the sanity of the IOC. :D

I think there's something ironically appropriate if it weren't "the largest," but claimed that it was, given the nature of the industry.

But on topic, the Olympics has lost a lot of prestige in recent years. Hopefully it won't go the way of the World's Fair.

• 2 months later...
Transportation was the major problem in Atlanta in '96. My father and I staying in the Olympic Village during the Games (we moved to Nashville some days after the Closing Ceremonies). Now, the Olympics provided us with our own driver, but, once, we decided to take the Train (a.k.a. MARTA) just to see how it was with all the people.

Crowded! It was terrible! People on top of people, even! New York subway system eat your heart out--the number of passengers was uncanny! And, we heard later that the bus system didn't fare any better.

Little known fact... Nashville organized a committee to be selected for the 1996 O'games back in the late 80s. In fact, it was the publicity the city received that gave Billy Payne the idea for getting the committee started for Atlanta. I remember as clear as day his quote in the AJC that "if a podunk place like Nashville can bid for the Olympics, then it's only natural that Atlanta should too."

Little known fact... Nashville organized a committee to be selected for the 1996 O'games back in the late 80s. In fact, it was the publicity the city received that gave Billy Payne the idea for getting the committee started for Atlanta. I remember as clear as day his quote in the AJC that "if a podunk place like Nashville can bid for the Olympics, then it's only natural that Atlanta should too."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived