No Smoking

A few years back a number of suburban communities around Chicago went smokeless, including in bars and restaurants. Chicago and Cook County are now following suit. Cities like New York and San Francisco also have bans. Do you think it will or should ever happen in GR? Personally I enjoy going out and not having to deal with the smoke.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worry is always that bars will do less business (thinking that a sizeable part of their customer base smokes). Fortunately for most bar owners, that's not the case and business stays the same or even gets better.

I think of Bell's and O'Duffy's in Kalamazoo. Both bars are packed on a regular basis and neither offer a smoking section.

The worry is always that bars will do less business (thinking that a sizeable part of their customer base smokes). Fortunately for most bar owners, that's not the case and business stays the same or even gets better.

I think of Bell's and O'Duffy's in Kalamazoo. Both bars are packed on a regular basis and neither offer a smoking section.

I think New Holland is non smoking as well.

One of the main reasons that I went to Bells was no smoking. They also have some pretty good beer.

I think New Holland is non smoking as well.

Sure is...at least in the main dining room.

I think one of those side rooms (or maybe even both?) allow it. I could be wrong though.

At any rate, New Holland is a great place for a beer....largely because you can belly up to the bar without smoke.

I think one of those side rooms (or maybe even both?) allow it. I could be wrong though.

At any rate, New Holland is a great place for a beer....largely because you can belly up to the bar without smoke.

If I could come home from bartending and not have to wash my hair eleventy-billion times to get the smell out.. that would be AWESOME...

now if only I could get rid of all the sticky bar mess and stains as well... :P

The entire place is non-smoking, except for the back patio.

As a business owner I would prefer that the government not be the one to make business decisions for me. If left alone businesses will always do what the market tells them to or they won't survive. We made the choice based on our size and clientele (also personal preference) that our restaurant and bar be smoke free.

We did however obtain an outdoor bar permit to allow customers that smoke the option of sitting there. This has helped our bar sales go up. I think too often we look to our government to regulate things that really will resolve on their own.

One question: Does your outdoor bar have zero set back to the sidewalk?

Big Bob's itself is set back from the "public sidewalk" and its parking lot is in front of it. It is also far back on the private property. The patio is off to the side, where people going inside probably wouldn't walk by.

If you're wondering if the outdoor smoke impacts Joe Blow walking by to go get Ice Cream

As a business owner I would prefer that the government not be the one to make business decisions for me. If left alone businesses will always do what the market tells them to or they won't survive. We made the choice based on our size and clientele (also personal preference) that our restaurant and bar be smoke free.

We did however obtain an outdoor bar permit to allow customers that smoke the option of sitting there. This has helped our bar sales go up. I think too often we look to our government to regulate things that really will resolve on their own.

It seems particularly unfair that the city/state benefits so highly from the sale of those

cigarettes - as well as hypocritical.

Big Bob's itself is set back from the "public sidewalk" and its parking lot is in front of it. It is also far back on the private property. The patio is off to the side, where people going inside probably wouldn't walk by.

If you're wondering if the outdoor smoke impacts Joe Blow walking by to go get Ice Cream

I haven't been on that side of town in a while. Thanks for the answer sammich.

Understand your point about the gov't. However, a ban might give voice to people who don't have one, or at least don't use it. For instance, if I came to your establishment (and I do, often) and someone was sitting outside smoking, I wouldn't sit outside with them. To me, the outdoors isn't much of a filter when you're sitting right next to someone smoking. And if a place is too smoky, or if the smoky smell never dissipates (e.g., bars at lunch time), I just don't go there. I think if there were a ban, I wouldn't be making my decisions based on the smoke factor, as I often do now. And I have to believe I'm not the only one. San Chez did it, and they used to have a bunch of people who loved to hang out at the bar and smoke. I was just in Mangiamo's the other night and I asked myself if it could really be worth it to give 2 or 3 smokers the whole bar area. The fireplace room is non-smoking, but you still have to walk through the bar to get to it. And you can still smell the smoke from the bar when you're in the fireplace room. I'm sorry, but this whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. Where's the petition, I have a pen. :thumbsup:

Everyone has the ability to choose where to eat. If a restaurant is too smoky tell the management and I guarantee if enough people do this they will be more willing to accomodate you.

Bigbob,

That would be too civil and make too much sense. People need to march on the streets in protest and bring down the gavel of government control.

Last time I checked, smoking was legal - though if the smoking nazis have their way, it won't be for much longer. My friends and I actively seek out the few remaining smoke-friendly restaurants in town and base dinner / entertainment choices based on that, the late "smoking" show at Dr Grins for example. I take great care at outdoor venues, such as Blues on the Mall, to light up on the fringe of the crowd, nowhere near any children, downwind if possible. I think people should use common sense. If it bothers you that much to dine in an establishment with a smoking section, go somewhere else. If I'm out with non-smoking friends, we go smoke-free - it doesn't kill me to wait a few hours until our get together is done but it's my CHOICE. I don't think it should be legislated.

Last time I checked, smoking was legal - though if the smoking nazis have their way, it won't be for much longer. My friends and I actively seek out the few remaining smoke-friendly restaurants in town and base dinner / entertainment choices based on that, the late "smoking" show at Dr Grins for example. I take great care at outdoor venues, such as Blues on the Mall, to light up on the fringe of the crowd, nowhere near any children, downwind if possible. I think people should use common sense. If it bothers you that much to dine in an establishment with a smoking section, go somewhere else. If I'm out with non-smoking friends, we go smoke-free - it doesn't kill me to wait a few hours until our get together is done but it's my CHOICE. I don't think it should be legislated.

I'm sure a business owner has accommodated a smoker long enough. You know, the annoying price of an extra HVAC to create differences in air pressure... If you insist on lighting up your cig when your eating maybe you have an addiction?

I grew up around parents who smoked and mom would get ash in my mash potatoes (the greatest food) and demand it wasn't going to kill me and eat around it -- that was horrible.

Second-hand smoke is a proven health hazard, and the government should not only feel the want, but the obligation to protect the public. We're not just talking of people not wanting to be around a gross habit, we're talking about a very serious public health issue. IMO, the cigarette industry should have been totally squashed by the government long ago. This is a product that has NO pluses, and all negatives no matter how often or how little it is used. The end consequence of using this product (however much or little you use) is limited breathing capacity at best, and death at worst. This isn't like moderate drinking, or occasional fastfood consumption which can either help you (in terms of moderate alchohol consumption), or at least not hurt you and could in fact save your life if you're dying of hunger (occasional fastfood consumption). We're talking about a product with NO benefits, and nothing but consequences.

Bigbob,

That would be too civil and make too much sense. People need to march on the streets in protest and bring down the gavel of government control.

Speaking of smelly bars...what is that smell on the first level of Graydon's crossing? Has anyone else noticed (or is it me :D )?

it would be amazing if bars were non smoking..... i have sooo many friends who only smoke when they are drinking but if they cant do so, they may just give it up all together, up with the smoking ban (plus im sick of smelling like poo the next day)

Archived