No Smoking

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take that to mean they don't allow local ordinances, it must be a state-wide ban...

There is no state-wide ban on smoking in restaurants and bars. As an ex-smoker, I think bars and restaurants should be totally non-smoking. There's a certain local brewery that has great beer, but we choose not to go there because it stinks so badly from cigarettes. I've also met a few people moving here from the West Coast who can't believe that anyplace that serves food here still allows smoking. It does make me feel like we're in dark ages.

There is no state-wide ban on smoking in restaurants and bars. As an ex-smoker, I think bars and restaurants should be totally non-smoking. There's a certain local brewery that has great beer, but we choose not to go there because it stinks so badly from cigarettes. I've also met a few people moving here from the West Coast who can't believe that anyplace that serves food here still allows smoking. It does make me feel like we're in dark ages.

They are actually claiming it's the total opposite. State law prohibits local ordinances which would ban smoking in restaurants, bars, and hotels.

The state must want us all to die of lung cancer.

They are actually claiming it's the total opposite. State law prohibits local ordinances which would ban smoking in restaurants, bars, and hotels.

The state must want us all to die of lung cancer.

Whoa! Why would the State tell local governments whether they can BAN smoking in bars and restaurants? You're right. Good thing those big State guys are looking out for our health.

I like this quote:

Rita Shears says she feels like she's got a target on her back everytime she lights up. "Oh yeah. I get dirty looks. Get people that walk by and hack."

All I can say is, "No friggin way, they hack?" Luckily I've been exposed to the smoke since day one, I'm pretty used to it -- but hacking, toughen up you non-smokers.

Now if only they'll dedicate a night to some form of trance =p

they do. thursdays is Sugar. Which is primarily dance.

Auburn, which is formally Monkey Bar in the lower level of The B.O.B., will be opening soon and will primarily be dance music on Friday and Saturdays. I have been spinning down there for a few months now and have been incorporation more and more dance every week. But GR is not ready for an all-dance-all-the-time club.

BTW, you are correct, svs, Crush is now non-smoking. Starting tonight. I guarantee, it's gonna be wall to wall downstairs and I won't be able to see through the cloud of smoke!

smokefree.jpg

state-wide ban huh? I think it's time to contact my representatives...

I am glad that the mayor is in on this, it's about time that ppl start to clean up their act downtown...

And like one person earlier in here said someone from another part of the country couldn't believe that we still had public smoking...

There are probably quite a few people that come to GR from different cities to visit and what not and can be turned off by everyone smoking by doors and such...that doesn't make us look like a good town to visit (of course I'm not saying that's what every person that comes to GR thinks, but you never know?)

I have a little sympathy for the smokers in the sense that they feel like they are being targeted...but I used this sentence on my parents, and I'll use it on the smokers, "I don't want to risk my health over your bad habit."

I'm in full tilt support of a smoking in public places ban in GR and the better option of a state wide ban. There is nothing worse than having a good meal spoiled by some nubskull lighting up and depreiving me of my share of life giving oxygen. There are places I'd like to go to and eat but don't because they have a smoking section. Trust me. The smoking section could be sealed off from the rest of the world with the same concrete used to encase nuclear reactors. But no matter what measures taken to contain the smoke in the smoking sections, it does not help. Anybody that is puffing away on a cigi-butt is going to send the fowl stinch of second hand smoke over to the non-smokers rather the smoker means to or not. As a NON-smoker, I have the same right to breath clean smoke free air that any living being dependant on respiration to live is entitled to. So I say let's go smoking ban.

"But where can I smoke if the non-smoking nazi's have there way?"

Here's your answer. Drive down I-196 at seventy miles per hour. Roll down your window. Take your Bic lighter and your pack of Cancer sticks and huck those offending objects out your window and go cold turkey. You'll make everybody else happy, won't have to worry about a smoking ban while adding ten to twenty years to your life span. It's a win win win proposition.

I'm in full tilt support of a smoking in public places ban in GR and the better option of a state wide ban. There is nothing worse than having a good meal spoiled by some nubskull lighting up and depreiving me of my share of life giving oxygen. There are places I'd like to go to and eat but don't because they have a smoking section. Trust me. The smoking section could be sealed off from the rest of the world with the same concrete used to encase nuclear reactors. But no matter what measures taken to contain the smoke in the smoking sections, it does not help. Anybody that is puffing away on a cigi-butt is going to send the fowl stinch of second hand smoke over to the non-smokers rather the smoker means to or not. As a NON-smoker, I have the same right to breath clean smoke free air that any living being dependant on respiration to live is entitled to. So I say let's go smoking ban.

Here's your answer. Drive down I-196 at seventy miles per hour. Roll down your window. Take your Bic lighter and your pack of Cancer sticks and huck those offending objects of your window and go cold turkey. You'll make everybody else happy, won't have to worry about a smoking ban while adding ten to twenty years to your life span. It's a win win win porposition.

Amen! :yahoo:

Here's your answer. Drive down I-196 at seventy miles per hour. Roll down your window. Take your Bic lighter and your pack of Cancer sticks and huck those offending objects out your window and go cold turkey. You'll make everybody else happy, won't have to worry about a smoking ban while adding ten to twenty years to your life span. It's a win win win proposition.

Wait, that's littering. :lol: Although I like the spirit of it. I can't imagine how poor people continue to smoke a pack a day at $5.00/pack. Save yourself $150/month and just quit. It is really that easy, I know from personal experience. Sure, the first two weeks are weird and you have to change your routine, don't know what to do with your hands, feel like crap, and all sorts of other withdrawal symptoms. But after two weeks, you're out of the woods, and you'll never believe that you ever smoked those disgusing things in the first place.

Every time I hear about reports of the concentrations of chemicals, radioactive materials, earth elements in cigarettes I get confused. How on earth can these substances make their way into the production line? Are they sending the product through an irradiation line, are they mining tobacco these days?-- I can not believe the production process for cigarettes contains these toxic substances.

I have dealt with smokers through my whole life and I've been a second hand smoker since my birth. I think the one thing I learned from the experience is that we are dealing with ADDICTS. It's a harsh realization, but it's the reality.

Every time I hear about reports of the concentrations of chemicals, radioactive materials, earth elements in cigarettes I get confused. How on earth can these substances make their way into the production line? Are they sending the product through an irradiation line, are they mining tobacco these days?-- I can not believe the production process for cigarettes contains these toxic substances.

Yet another entry to add to my long list of reasons why I don't smoke.

As a business owner I would prefer that the government not be the one to make business decisions for me. If left alone businesses will always do what the market tells them to or they won't survive. We made the choice based on our size and clientele (also personal preference) that our restaurant and bar be smoke free.

We did however obtain an outdoor bar permit to allow customers that smoke the option of sitting there. This has helped our bar sales go up. I think too often we look to our government to regulate things that really will resolve on their own.

:good::good::good::good:

I hate second hand smoke. I hate being around it. It ruins my dinner. I hate walking through the congregation of 30 smokers outside the door to get in. Hate it. Hate it. I hate being at an outdoor event where one smoker polutes the whole area. I choose not to smoke so don't expose me to your crap. I would absolutely LOVE a smoking ban. EXCEPT...that's not the government's job.

Get your friggin' hands off the back of the entrepeneurs!!

they do. thursdays is Sugar. Which is primarily dance.

Auburn, which is formally Monkey Bar in the lower level of The B.O.B., will be opening soon and will primarily be dance music on Friday and Saturdays. I have been spinning down there for a few months now and have been incorporation more and more dance every week.

Ah! Why did nobody tell me this!

Well, looks like I may have a bit more competition for my Friday 13th party in October than I planned for.

As for smoking, I do like the idea of places becoming non-smoking, but smoking simply can't be banned everywhere altogether. People who are really addicted will have to light up somewhere, some time, so it would seem if any business -- especially a bar -- were to prohibit smoking, it should either be easy for a smoker to step outside and smoke (which will help make a business look unattractive to people driving by) or a special area in which people can smoke and not affect everyone else.

I'm bringing this one back from the dead but just wanted to let everyone know that I've heard that The Crush is now going non-smoking on Sat. nights. Hopefully they'll be able to enforce the rules there eventhough you can smoke in the rest of the building.

A guy I work with at McFaddens girlfriend works at Crush and he said the whole building is going to be smoke free on Saturdays. Just what I heard

As for smoking, I do like the idea of places becoming non-smoking, but smoking simply can't be banned everywhere altogether. People who are really addicted will have to light up somewhere, some time...

People are addicted to crack too and for some reason we haven't allowed them their own areas to smoke inside public places. Perhaps it's because the purveyors of crack are not officially contributing to the GNP like our friends who make products laced with harmful nicotine. Face it, it's all about money - cigarettes, no matter how harmful they're found to be, will continue to be produced and peddled. Unfortunately, at some point the amount of money made off cigarette production will be eclipsed by the cost of caring for people with health issues due to prolonged smoke exposure.

With that being said, I fully support a smoking ban in GR! Or at the very least those of us who feel strongly about it should voice our opinions to establishments we like to frequent (if they're not already smoke free)and maybe then more businesses will choose to be smoke free, taking away the need for government involvement.

Archived