No Smoking

You agree with everyone that there SHOULD be a smoking ban in public places (not restaurants and bars)?

Heartwell is very big on air quality and the environment. However, I don't see this being the biggest thing the city is working on seeing as how the commission agenda this week is 227 pages long and there are two pages devoted to the smoking ban. They can take on smoking, and at the same time, work to reduce crime and poverty in GR.

Just sayin.

I would be in favor of a smoking ban, if and only if it does not take away from any of the other commuinity quality issues such as litter, the homeless, panhandlers, pot holes, diminishing sidewalks, crime, property maintenance issues in some neighborhoods, drugs, and such.

When you break it down, will it realistically help the city? There is the cost to enforce it, prosecution of violations (even if it is only a civil infraction, there is still a lot that they have to do to process it), prevention, and documentation. All for what?

I have not read the details of the plan, but the only time that smoke bugs me (and I am asthmatic) is when I am in restaurants and bars.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An article about the proposed smoking ban in Grand Rapids. They want to know what the public would like. There is a scheduled public hearing on October 3rd.

"The Grand Rapids City Commission wants the public to let them know what they think about a proposed smoking ban. The commission set October 3 as the date for public comment on the smoking ban in private and public businesses across the city."

The complete article can be read on WoodTV8's website:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5396062

Does this ban mean any public place i.e. walking down the sidewalk? Personally, I think that is a complete waste of taxpayers money. I am all for private business owners making their establishments "smoke free" . .that's great. But outside? That's a little extreme. What's next . . .no loud music out of cars b/c it hurts my ears? Not very many people smoke that more anyway so it hardly seems worth it. Let's focus on more important issues that need taxpayer funding . . .

What's next . . .no loud music out of cars b/c it hurts my ears?

This already exists in the form on noise ordinances, and yes they are enforced. I've had plenty of friends get tickets in many different locations (Grand Haven being the worst).

Not very many people smoke that more anyway so it hardly seems worth it. Let's focus on more important issues that need taxpayer funding . . .

I don't know where or who you hang out with, but I would say that this statement is WAY off. I could probably name 100 people I know without much effort who smoke. Public health is well worth taxpayer money in my opinion.

This already exists in the form on noise ordinances, and yes they are enforced. I've had plenty of friends get tickets in many different locations (Grand Haven being the worst).

I don't know where or who you hang out with, but I would say that this statement is WAY off. I could probably name 100 people I know without much effort who smoke. Public health is well worth taxpayer money in my opinion.

I agree PBJ. If you're downtown AT ALL, you would see the sidewalks and stoops lined with people smoking throughout the entire day. If these people only knew how easy and great it is to quit....

If these people only knew how easy and great it is to quit....

Well, I think it depends for different people. Some people can just say "im quitting" and be done with it. Others have to struggle. But I think you have to really want to quit to do it, especially "cold turkey". I would be happy with a ban on smoking indoors, especially restaurants.

Dad wrote: ...If you're downtown AT ALL, you would see the sidewalks and stoops lined with people smoking throughout the entire day. If these people only knew how easy and great it is to quit....

I thought smoking in general has declined, no? Or, are we just talking about people downtown.

DT, it's easier to see smokers. If you're driving around office parks in the Twps, smoker density is just not there (one or two people hanging around an acre of parking). Occupants of a tall building have to go outside and they'll congregate in one place.

Smoking has decreased. Ever see those old adverts with the happy housewife vaccuming/smoking? It's like seat belt use or drunk driving: major change in attitudes. Tanning is next.

No, sorry, it is not way off. Any establishment I go to downtown there are fewer and fewer smokers . . .maybe the late night college crowd lights up, but I don't get in to that anymore. Smoking is taboo nowadays and the die hard smokers are not as abundant as they used to be......

Dad wrote: ...If you're downtown AT ALL, you would see the sidewalks and stoops lined with people smoking throughout the entire day. If these people only knew how easy and great it is to quit....

DT, it's easier to see smokers. If you're driving around office parks in the Twps, smoker density is just not there (one or two people hanging around an acre of parking). Occupants of a tall building have to go outside and they'll congregate in one place.

Smoking has decreased. Ever see those old adverts with the happy housewife vaccuming/smoking? It's like seat belt use or drunk driving: major change in attitudes. Tanning is next.

I agree smoking has decreased as well, I know of three people already (all older then me) who have died from smoking - related illness, and my own grandmother has emphysema (sic) not from smoking, but from living with two heavy smokers for the first 18 years of her life.

No, sorry, it is not way off. Any establishment I go to downtown there are fewer and fewer smokers . . .maybe the late night college crowd lights up, but I don't get in to that anymore. Smoking is taboo nowadays and the die hard smokers are not as abundant as they used to be......

Smoking may be taboo for some groups, but there are still groups, old and young that will continue to do so and some may even think it is cool and hip. As PBJ says, I don't know when and where you hang out, they may be different, but I have to agree that there are areas where smoking is and probably will continue to be a problem (IMO).

You mention the college crowd and that you don't get into that anymore. Could this be a problem with our soceity today? Maybe when we are younger and in Highschool/College, we are rebellious and think it would be cool to smoke? As we grow older, we become wiser and realize that it wasn't a good thing to get into. Problem is, by the time we realize it isn't a good thing, are we already addicted so much that we cannot quit? My point is, that for people that hang out in the college age crowd, maybe would have a different opinion about smoking than people that don't. :dontknow:

Ah Yes! ....the congregation of smokers that gather around the main entrances of DT buildings to worship the gods of cigi-butts and lung cancer. Breathe deeply, folks, and take in that fowl stench because there is nothing like a thick cloud of emphysema to welcome you in a DT building.

• 3 weeks later...

Commissioner sees hypocrisy in smoking ban

First Ward Commissioner James Jendrasiak believes it's hypocritical for city commissioners to approve a fireworks permit for Van Andel Arena this morning and consider a ban on smoking in public places this evening.

Apparently JJ doesn't realize that fireworks do not have nicotine and tar in them (or any of the other baddies for that matter). Good Lord. What a tool.

First Ward Commissioner James Jendrasiak believes it's hypocritical for city commissioners to approve a fireworks permit for Van Andel Arena this morning and consider a ban on smoking in public places this evening.

Is this the same commish that said GVSU was a problem when the proposed westside apartments was voted down? If it is, why am I not suprised?

Is this the same commish that said GVSU was a problem when the proposed westside apartments was voted down? If it is, why am I not suprised?

That's him. JJ the loose cannon.

Funny, I have never seen a surgeon general's warning on a box of sparklers.

JJ's remarks have validity, that is if they are based on the assumption that smoke and fire can cause harm, as do cigs. I haven't studied the HVACs in the Van, but under the right circumstances breathing in combusted Chlorates isn't good hell it's not just chlorates, but depending on the color of the firework and the situation you can get screwed in the short term...

In the circumstances of exposure and concetration... I'd say just if you enhaled enough of something it's going to kill or harm you.

Fireworks are cool and that they explode, as cigarettes are just ... friggin nasty. I'd rather have develop pulmonary oedema from the firework then a sore throat from a cig... atleast I got to see something blow up. With a cigarette all I got was a face full of nasty.

Also one is exposed to fireworks only once a year at the most. I don't think that's enough time for the fireworks to cause any permanent damage to anybody. But then there are the bear gut having blockheads wearing WWE "wraslin'" shirts that think its cool to do somthing like holding a lit M-80 in their hands.

straws2copy.jpg

GRRRRR theres nothing more I hate then seeing people use bad excuses for not doing something for the common good.

Bad Jim! bad bad bad!!!

Also one is exposed to fireworks only once a year at the most. I don't think that's enough time for the fireworks to cause any permanent damage to anybody. But then there are the bear gut having blockheads wearing WWE "wraslin'" shirts that think its cool to do somthing like holding a lit M-80 in their hands.

Maybe a few times a year in open space and equal presure...

Sure there's an element of exposure in the equation, but any amount gives an effect -- wether immediate or permanent. I think the point was that smoke inside any establishment under concentration proably isn't good for you so why allow the fireworks? If what we are doing is protecting the health of the public against harm (ban smoking) why not carry it further onto fireworks? Thanks what I think JJ was connecting -- the line and where it's crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived