This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WSSU accepted into Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

5 posts in this topic

WSSU offically becomes the 12 school in the Greensboro based, MEAC conference. MEAC chancellors and presidents voted, unanimously, to accept WSSU early last week. the school still has 4 more years in its transition period. during that time, athletic director Chico Caldwell plans to add baseball and a few womens sports.

Commissioner Dennis Thomas of the MEAC said: "We are elated to welcome Winston-Salem into the MEAC family. Obviously, we think that WSSU is an outstanding academic institution with an excellent athletics program."

New MEAC Conference:

Coppin State

Delaware State

Florida A&M

Maryland-Eastern Shore

Morgan State

Norfolk State

North Carolina A&T

*North Carolina Central - 2007

South Carolina State

*Virginia State - 2010?

*Winston-Salem State - 2006

Savannah State was scheduled to join this year with WSSU, but the board postponed their decision indefinitely. so many are speculating that one other school will join to give the conference 14 universities and eventually forming two divisions...North and South. Central will be the 13th. Now the Virginia State rumors surface. some are saying that the school plans to make that jump in 2010.

So, WSSU, NCCU, and maybe VSU are leaving. whats the future of the CIAA?

I think the CIAA is looking to expand southward, as its move to Charlotte, which is closer to SC and GA, would indicate.

any D-II HBCU's in SC and Ga? maybe Barber Scotia and Claffin could join if they ever get an full athletics program. Benedict possibly?

Benedict has a pretty new football team, and their new stadium is almost complete. Claflin needs to get a football team. The only other school I can think of is possibly Voorhees. In GA, I'm not sure. I don't know what conference Fort Valley or Paine are in.