Walker Master Plan Update

francishsu

Walker has been updating their 1998 Master Plan the past year. They divide Walker into four areas, and then focus on one sub-area in each where the plan needs updating. There's quite a bit of information to digest. The latest changes focus on Standale, and how it should be redeveloped to serve as the downtown center for Walker.

Master Plan Update Information for Walker

Related information:

GR Press: Dreams of downtown Standale

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

doh! they kinda killed that idea by letting Meijer build that big box on wilson dontcha think?

What's ironic is that the GR Press article says that the addition of Meijer was a catalyst to taking a fresh look at Standale as the future downtown.

If you look at the proposed Land Use map for the Standale downtown, it's basically Lake Michigan between Wilson and Kinney. Meijer would actually be just outside the downtown, being on the SW corner of Wilson and Lake Michigan. ;)

I've only browsed a few of the documents. I was entertained by parts of the sub-area #1 document (e.g. Orchard Park and neighboring properties) where they summarize the feedback from residents when presented with images of how the village center could look.

Being a near Walker lifer, I feel they really need to work on Alpine from 3 Mile south to the GR line. Most of it looks just terrible.

I don't think the Planning department is going to propose any significant change to that corridor. Probably would be a monumental task to try to reinvent Alpine.

I did not see any mention of mass trans besides the current bus route... If the M-45 corridor grows it would make sense to be open and availible for a possible stop. M-45 goes from downtown all the way to 31 very close to the lakeshore with Standale and GVSU on the way. With the growth of GVSU and the rest of the corridor very urban neighborhoods/centers could be developed.

They call it a long term dream, so it might be a very worthwhile thought.

In order for them to accomplish what they want for "downtown Standale", they would basically have to up and move all the buildings toward the street. If they want buildings at property line with parking in the back, it's a little late for that.

You can also make the street wider or...

Conceptual Standale "Downtown" Sketch

It's been a while since I've driven that stretch, but I believe many of the parking lots are not that deep. In the case of something like the L-shaped strip mall at the NE corner of Wilson and Lake Michigan with the large parking lot, they propose converting most of the lot into buildings.

It sounds like they want to do the right thing here, but that roundabout in the center is kind of silly.

Take another look, snoogit, it's not a roundabout. I think it's great. Now they just have to find some developers who are willing to redo the entire area.

Take another look, snoogit, it's not a roundabout. I think it's great. Now they just have to find some developers who are willing to redo the entire area.

Isnt that a roundabout in that circle thats got the 2 in it? (so its not the center of the page, but the center of those three buildings in the NW corner.)

That circle In the NW corner is labeled as "Traffic Circle?" Looks a little strange on the map, perhaps, but it's also not going to be very visible.

At the ends the downtown, the half circles are labeled as "Gateway". Would they put some sort of arch or something? and in the center is "Four Corners w/New Signal and Crosswalks". I'm not sure what they mean by that..

I did not see any mention of mass trans besides the current bus route... If the M-45 corridor grows it would make sense to be open and availible for a possible stop. M-45 goes from downtown all the way to 31 very close to the lakeshore with Standale and GVSU on the way. With the growth of GVSU and the rest of the corridor very urban neighborhoods/centers could be developed.

They call it a long term dream, so it might be a very worthwhile thought.

Wish they'd implement contiguous sidewalks further down LM Drive. Plenty of sections (near the orchard, Lincoln Lawns, GR city line) where there's a dusty track worn in the grass. I've seen peds using the roadway, too.

[and they call themselves "Walker"!!]

Well, good luck to the city of Walker. I have no idea how they expect to remotely pull this off. We cant even do something like this in GR without some developer sueing the city over not being able to have a huge parking lot out front, and giant flood lights to light up the front of his building. Walker will have to demolish almost everything in Standale to do this. And on top of that they will have to get the strip store culture to actually have parking behind their shops, and to part with their signs on poles.

Wyoming tried this and ended up worse off than when they started.

Well, good luck to the city of Walker. I have no idea how they expect to remotely pull this off. We cant even do something like this in GR without some developer sueing the city over not being able to have a huge parking lot out front, and giant flood lights to light up the front of his building. Walker will have to demolish almost everything in Standale to do this. And on top of that they will have to get the strip store culture to actually have parking behind their shops, and to part with their signs on poles.

Wyoming tried this and ended up worse off than when they started.

Here comes another local DDA superhero action figure. We could call him Walk Man.

[Jay Fowler sez that this will never ever ever happen in his DDA]

Archived