Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrSportsGuy

Question about suburban "hi-rise" apartments

9 posts in this topic

I've always wondered why (at least in the GR area), all apartments more than 3 stories are for senior housing. Why is this?

That's not always the case. For example, Viewpointe Apartments at 28th & Breton is taller than 3 stories and not senior housing.

But I'd guess that many seniors looking for an apartment would expect an elevator. Do buildings > 3 stories require one? If so, maybe you'll find a higher percentage of apartments > 3 stories being senior housing.

I don't know, it's true for Lansing also, with the exception of a handful of 4 floor student apartments.

Eh? The Oakwood Manor (547 Cherry SE) is seven stories, and it's not senior housing.

Plaza Towers devotes several of its lower floors to apartments, and they're not senior housing.

I'm sure others will be along with other examples of exceptions to your perception.

It's not just in the suburbs. Senior citizens high-rise towers have been kind of an American phenomenon. A few things that factor into this is that these are often for lower income seniors, many seniors don't want to be in charge of a whole house anymore, they get to be around other's their age, among many of factors.

That's not always the case. For example, Viewpointe Apartments at 28th & Breton is taller than 3 stories and not senior housing.

But I'd guess that many seniors looking for an apartment would expect an elevator. Do buildings > 3 stories require one? If so, maybe you'll find a higher percentage of apartments > 3 stories being senior housing.

mass residential buildings under 3 floors do not require an elevator, anything above that and you have to have an elevator. Its a big reason why you dont see too many >3 story apartment buildings other then downtown.

My aunt lives at the high-rise off of Clyde Park and 36. As one metioned there seems to be a phenomenon od thriving senior ghettos in these low to moderate priced facilities. There was recently a great interview story done by some locals on WGVU about the seniors in one of the Kalamazoo midrises. Its an interesting community center for like age individuals.

Eh? The Oakwood Manor (547 Cherry SE) is seven stories, and it's not senior housing.

Plaza Towers devotes several of its lower floors to apartments, and they're not senior housing.

I'm sure others will be along with other examples of exceptions to your perception.

He's talking about the suburbs, not in the city. Maybe we don't have suburbs dense enough to support mid-rises for anything other than seniors.

All of those senior high-rises (actually mid-rises) were built at about the same time and I believe all were part of a MSHDA (Michigan State Housing development Authority) subsidy program. The state threw money at developers to encourage those buildings.