Business in Memphis

AmandaHugginkiss

Since the Memphis forum appears to be dead (probably waiting on the "proposed" new skyline at East Memphis :P ), I thought I put up an interesting article I found. A LOT of people tend to under-estimate Memphis in the business department; this article is a reminder on how Memphis flys under the radar and manages to keep up with the "Joneses."

Although, the numbers in the article are down from 2003 and 2004, Memphis is high on the list for business.

This is going to burst some people's bubbles ;)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the Memphis forum appears to be dead (probably waiting on the "proposed" new skyline at East Memphis :P ), I thought I put up an interesting article I found. A LOT of people tend to under-estimate Memphis in the business department; this article is a reminder on how Memphis flys under the radar and manages to keep up with the "Joneses."

Yes, we're waiting :D

I was actually thinking about the bill that was vetoed by Bush today about the stem cell research and how that might affect the developing biotech industry. One analyst said there's no place that looks promising in the US for the biotech industry.

And, we can't rely on being a cheap place to do business alone. Companies can now look to India or a country in Southeast Asia if they want cheap. We need an educated population (which has gotten better the past few years). Add that to the booming tourist industry in Tennessee and Mississippi, along with the mega sites in Marion, Tunica, and Haywood and Crockett County, Memphis might see even more development. Our hub status (NWA, Fedex, UPS, Port of Memphis, and a few large intermodal rail hub and rail yards) doesn't hurt the region either. Also, the state just passed that new incentive for the flim industry (remember the studio thats supposed to relocate their regional HQ?). We really are flying under the radar. Our growth is slow, but its certainly gaining momentum.

Also, Memphis may soon be the official home of another Fortune 500 company soon. Right now, all of ServiceMaster's operational headquarters are based in Memphis. That includes Terminix, TruGreen, American Home Shield, Merry Maids, ServiceMaster Clean, etc. But, the "official" HQ is in Chicago, since that's where our Board of Directors and executive offices are located. However, in the past couple of months, the CEO of ServiceMaster, who was a Chicagoan, resigned. The new CEO lives in Mississippi, not too far from Memphis. The speculation around the company (by the way, I work for one of the SVM companies) is that the Chicago office will be closed soon and all operations and executive functions will be combined in Memphis. This would be done in an effort to streamline and eliminate unneeded expenses-- i.e. a half empty office in a high rent area of Chicago, excessive travel back and forth from Chicago to Memphis, higher salaries in the Chicago area, etc.--as part of an effort to cut costs and show a higher return to our investors.

So, Memphis may soon be home to 4 Fortune 500 companies--FedEx, AutoZone, International Paper AND ServiceMaster. I'll keep you posted...

Also, Memphis may soon be the official home of another Fortune 500 company soon. Right now, all of ServiceMaster's operational headquarters are based in Memphis. That includes Terminix, TruGreen, American Home Shield, Merry Maids, ServiceMaster Clean, etc. But, the "official" HQ is in Chicago, since that's where our Board of Directors and executive offices are located. However, in the past couple of months, the CEO of ServiceMaster, who was a Chicagoan, resigned. The new CEO lives in Mississippi, not too far from Memphis. The speculation around the company (by the way, I work for one of the SVM companies) is that the Chicago office will be closed soon and all operations and executive functions will be combined in Memphis. This would be done in an effort to streamline and eliminate unneeded expenses-- i.e. a half empty office in a high rent area of Chicago, excessive travel back and forth from Chicago to Memphis, higher salaries in the Chicago area, etc.--as part of an effort to cut costs and show a higher return to our investors.

So, Memphis may soon be home to 4 Fortune 500 companies--FedEx, AutoZone, International Paper AND ServiceMaster. I'll keep you posted...

That would be great!

That would be great.. I read somewhere last week about (not sure) EA Sports or Gameday (something similar) building an entertainment facility in Memphis. Don't engrave what I say in stone; I was just browsing the net and I came across that. I will try and find it.

Not to mention, the number of freeway or interstate ( whatever you want to call it) systems proposed for Memphis. Giving Memphis more versatility in being the Distribution Center of the U.S. More people will drive through Memphis and maybe decide to stop and enjoy the great streetlevel that Memphis possess.

Update: I scanned my drawing on the computer but I can't figure out how I can post the pictures. They are on my hard drive, can anyone help?

That would be great.. I read somewhere last week about (not sure) EA Sports or Gameday (something similar) building an entertainment facility in Memphis. Don't engrave what I say in stone; I was just browsing the net and I came across that. I will try and find it.

Not to mention, the number of freeway or interstate ( whatever you want to call it) systems proposed for Memphis. Giving Memphis more versatility in being the Distribution Center of the U.S. More people will drive through Memphis and maybe decide to stop and enjoy the great streetlevel that Memphis possess.

Update: I scanned my drawing on the computer but I can't figure out how I can post the pictures. They are on my hard drive, can anyone help?

Well you can attach it to the thread. Under File Attachments, click browse, find the file and click add this attachment.

yeah, regarding those interstates, there are four segments (3 interstates -- I69 north and south, I22 east, and whatever US72 turns into going east) proposed in the immediate Memphis area, and a fourth in Jonesboro (a 55 spur). Unfortunately, all three in the Memphis area go east, so traffic flowing from east to west will face an insane bottleneck crossing the river and into West Memphis.

I'd love to read more about the EA Sports facility, if you find it.

Edit: If you're talking about Gameday Sports, that's a sports complex where First Horizon Fields is out on G'town Pkwy. Essentially it sounds like they're expanding the sports complex to encompass other sports besides the softball and baseball fields. It's more of a Disney Wide World of Sports recreation park than a high-tech arcade.

Although adapting that kind of idea to add some kind of Sony, Gameworks, or DisneyQuest experience would be nice.

Archived