Gross Metropolitan Product of SC Metros

monsoon

From the 2006 Role of Metro Areas in the USA Economy we have the latest GMP of the metro areas of SC.

Metro,GMP, change/year

1. Columbia - $25B, +6.8%
  2. Greenville - $21.6B, +5.3%
  3. Charleston/N.Charleston - $19.6, +8.8%
  4. Augusta-Richmond County, GA-SC - $17.6B, +7.3%
  5. Spartanburg - $9.5B, +5.6%
  6. Myrtle Beach - $6.9B, +9.5%
  7. Florence - $6.5B, +4.8%
  8. Rock Hill - $5.2B
  9. Anderson - $4.8B, +6.7%
Total for all of SC is $136.1B

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that Rock Hill is behind Florence.

It makes sense when you think about it. McLeod helps Florence out a great deal as well.

Skyliner, it appears as though these are metro figures, but Rock Hill's listing would be puzzling since it is included in Charlotte's metro. All of the other cities are the centers of their respective metros however. I wonder what Sumter's figures would be?

It makes sense when you think about it. McLeod helps Florence out a great deal as well.

Skyliner, it appears as though these are metro figures, but Rock Hill's listing would be puzzling since it is included in Charlotte's metro. All of the other cities are the centers of their respective metros however. I wonder what Sumter's figures would be?

The way it was written led me to think it was only the amount in change and percent in change. So the first number is actually the total GMP for the metro? Interesting and surprising. :unsure:

^The report listed the Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC metro in the SC section with that amount. So I would assume that the figure given was for York County. Under that same reasoning, I wonder if the figure given for the Augusta-Richmond County, GA-SC would be for Aiken and Edgefield counties? Doesn't seem like it would be that high. It may be for the entire Augusta metro.

http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/Top100_2006.pdf

And the Rock Hill figure does represent the portion of the Charlotte metro that extends into SC (York County).

As for the portion of the Augusta metro that extends into SC (Aiken and Edgefield), the figure is $4.91B.

Interestingly enough, only the Charleston and Columbia metros were given economic performance summaries. Not sure what the reason behind that was.

Ok, thanks. That is not the list I found... that one is much more informative.

to recap for everyone:

Metro,GMP, change/year

1. Columbia - $25B, +6.8%
  2. Greenville - $21.6B, +5.3%
  3. Charleston/N.Charleston - $19.6, +8.8%
  4. Spartanburg - $9.5B, +5.6%
  5. Myrtle Beach - $6.9B, +9.5%
  6. Florence - $6.5B, +4.8%
  7. Rock Hill - $5.2B
  8. Aiken-Edgefield - $4.91B
  9. Anderson - $4.8B, +6.7%
  10. Sumter - $3.4B

• 1 year later...

The Brookings Institute recently released a report with updated figures here for MSAs. The GDP is in millions, and the percent figure represents the share of the state GDP:

Columbia: $26,319 (18.8%)

Charleston: $22,503 (16.1%)

Greenville: $22,250 (15.9%)

Spartanburg: $9,000 (6.4%)

Myrtle Beach: $8,513 (6.1%)

Charlotte (York County): $7,659 (5.5%)

Florence: $6,330 (4.5%)

Source: http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/Pro...hCarolinabp.pdf

http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/Top100_2006.pdf

As for the portion of the Augusta metro that extends into SC (Aiken and Edgefield), the figure is $4.91B.

I can see that becoming $10b in the next couple of yrs. I think the aiken county part of metro augusta will easily move up to #4 or #5 competing with spartanburg because of greenville's CSA. The proximity of spartanburg, & aiken county to larger metros give them a leg up on sc's 2nd tier cities. Myrtle Beach will be around to because it is a resort town.

Aiken has about 60,000 is that higher than florence, sumter, rock hill, spartanburg, myrtle beach, & anderson. I know north augusta population is 35,000. Augusta is having alot more construction in 07 than compared to 06 i wonder if we are ahead of columbia.

You need to check your stats my friend. Aiken is not bigger than any of the above cities in any category except maybe Anderson. Maybe. :) And its not considered a second tier city. Most would consider Spartanburg and Myrtle Beach to be SC's second tier cities, maybe Florence too.

FYI:

-Aiken's population is about 25,000.

-North Augusta is about 20,000.

-Spartanburg is already apart of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA.

• 3 months later...

Here's the latest statistical breakdown of hourly wages earned in South Carolina's MSA's.

http://www.wltx.com/datacenter/story.aspx?storyid=59650

Here is it by wage and average income

All Occupations:

1. Spartanburg MSA.......................Employees - 119,830....Hourly AVG - $17.22.... Annual AVG - $35,820

2. Columbia MSA...........................Employees - 340,400....Hourly AVG - $16.85.....Annual AVG - $35,040

3. Greenville MSA..........................Employees - 293,750....Hourly AVG - $16.56.... Annual AVG - $34,450

4. Charleston-N. Charleston MSA....Employees - 277,960....Hourly AVG - $16.52.....Annual AVG - $34,370

5. Florence MSA............................Employees - 84,180......Hourly AVG - $15.45.....Annual AVG - $32,130

6. Anderson MSA...........................Employees - 58,260......Hourly AVG - $14.98....Annual AVG - $31,150

7. Sumter MSA..............................Employees - 37,930......Hourly AVG - $14.38....Annual AVG - $29,910

8. Myrtle Beach-Conway MSA.........Employees - 117,200....Hourly AVG - $13.73.....Annual AVG - $28,560

I wonder how long it will be before the majority of those BMW incomes begin residing in Spartanburg County as opposed to Greenville County. It is sure to eventually shift as Greer and Duncan continue growing around the plant (though Duncan is still quite a distance away).

Archived