Ten Years Ago this Month

ironchapman

Ten years ago this month, the Centennial Olympic Games took place.

10 Years Since Atlanta Olympics Ceremony

Remembered for some operational snafus, out-of-control street vending and a security lapse that led to the Centennial Olympic Park bombing, the Atlanta Olympics are still the most heavily attended Olympics, with more than 8 million tickets sold.

Events in Atlanta marking the 10th anniversary this week include the opening of the new museum dedicated to the Games at the Atlanta History Center and The Centennial Olympic Games Museum.

What are your thoughts? Is anyone here going to do anything to celebrate the Atlanta Games' 10 year anniversary?

As for myself, I intend to visit the museum, but I don't think I'll be able to do much else.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 years ago I was working at Moreland Ave & had to get to work at 7:00. Many businesses had altered work schedules due to the expected traffic. Additionally, many took MARTA to work - the result, the freeways were nearly empty.

What I do remember are the crowded MARTA trains though, as crowded as any NYC train - it was unbearable. But incredible that despite several issues, the transportation network worked. Speaking of which, that would have been my voluntary duties, but my workplace wouldn't cooperate for the neccessary 2 months off.

I attended 2 events, baseball & the other was some field game that took place at Clark Atlanta - I don't remember anything about it. Spent a lot of time wandering around downtown then - it was just bizarre thinking about that occuring in Atlanta of all places. Since then, I remember a lot of the temp businesses that popped up & would reminence as I walked by. Like the old Greyhound terminal or one of the numerous warehouses to the north of Centinneal Park - of course now all gone.

I'll try to visit the museum on a future trip to Atlanta - this weekend we're driving to Boulder.

I was so little then, I wish I could remember more. I remember seeing the Marathon from my Grandfathers apartment building overlooking Peachtree Road, and I remember walking around downtown with my dad and seeing so many foreign people that looked strange to me. I remember my friends talking about it and of course, I remember the bomb. My aunt and uncle had left the park 30 minutes before it happened.

When I think of how big of a deal the olympics are, I just can't get over that the world's attention was focused on just a little southern city that most people out of the US had never heard of.

I remember there was a lot of resentment down this way because of Augusta not being allowed to host any golf tournaments (even though Augusta National had offered). I remembered thinking that Columbus, Athens and other places all had events but Augusta was skipped as usual. But it didn't matter in the end. I was starting my junior year in high school and everyone wanted to make that 2 hour trip up I-20. Not that any of us had tickets or anything; we just wanted to be a part of something big. Of the hundreds of times I've been to Atlanta, I never made it up there in 96--I still regret it. There was an excitement in the air that I don't think I've experienced since that time. Obviously, Atlanta had always been a big deal to us, it's our City, but just seeing it every night on television, hearing Dan Rather or BBC or whatever saying Atlanta over and over, showing the thousands of people partying in Buckhead and the crowds all over the city, it was overwhelming. For a little while, Atlanta was truly the center of the world. But of course I never made it up there, which is why I say that Atlanta needs to go ahead and host another Olympics sometime in the near future and this time let us have the golf tournaments. :thumbsup:

Were the golf tournaments sponsored by ACOG? Golf hasn't been an Olympic sport since the early 1900s. Seems like Augusta could have put on a tournament if they wanted and people would have shown up just because it was Augusta National. Perhaps golf was a unofficial demonstration sport during the '96 Olympics. I'm not trying to disagree with you, I just don't understand what ACOG had to do with golf tournaments.

I loved the Olympics while they were here.

In 1990, I had only just turned 8 when they announced Atlanta the host city. I don't remember the announcement itself, however my parents and 3/4th's of my Family Do. They waited by the TV just like everyone did, and as when ATL was named, the phone ran non stop, and our house was filled with excitement. My parents screamed with joy, and our neighboors ran outside and popped fire crackers.

I was only 13 at the time. We didn't go to any events, but we were at Centennial Park 3 days those 2 weeks, one of which, a day before the bombing. I remember the crowds, the jammed streets, and not with cars either, and the fun everyone was having. I've got a picture of me splashing in the fountian with my younger sisters at the time, but this was of course before digital, and the photo is stored away with thousands of others.

We took MARTA from (at the time) Hightower, and the trains were packed. People were standing, almost at train capacity.

It really was a special time. I doubt we will ever see Atlanta host them again in our lifetime, or maybe, who knows. Los Angeles hosted them twice, and I heard they are bidding again for 2016.

Were the golf tournaments sponsored by ACOG? Golf hasn't been an Olympic sport since the early 1900s. Seems like Augusta could have put on a tournament if they wanted and people would have shown up just because it was Augusta National. Perhaps golf was a unofficial demonstration sport during the '96 Olympics. I'm not trying to disagree with you, I just don't understand what ACOG had to do with golf tournaments.

AubieTurtle, you're correct. I should have been more clear. I'm trying to remember, but best as I recall, Billy Payne petitioned the Olympic committee to have golf at the 96 Olympics. Mr. Payne, a member of the National, had already secured the Augusta National as a venue if golf was included. It was expected to pass. Both Republicans and Democrats from metro Augusta were very supportive of golf being brought to Augusta. The city of Atlanta, however, led by Bill Campbell, sent the IOC a letter stating that Augusta National's membership was not diverse and did not represent Atlanta. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Atlanta Olympics and will always be proud of Atlanta for what it accomplished; it was just kind of bitter-sweet for Augusta though.

Archived