Second & Congress Hotel Complex

eastsider

The Finley Company, the owner most of the 200 Block of Congress Avenue (NE corner of Congress Ave. and Second St.) has reached a deal with White Lodging Services Corp. to develop a multistory hotel. Plans for the project are still in the early stages and no details were given. Finley has told their current tenants of the property the their leases will not be extended when they expire next February. The current tenants include Las Manitas restaurant, Escaelita del Alma Learning Center, and Tesoros Trading Company.

The Austin Chronicle: My Migas, My City

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this is a significant development. I was expecting a sigle mixed-use tower with hotel-residential. But three hotels with 1,000 total rooms :shok:

I'm also shocked to see the details so soon. From the Chronicle article, I figured it would be early 2007 before any details came out.

Very exciting development. Its unbelievable at the amount of development going on in DT. Even of only half of these projects that have yet to start go through our skyline will be unbelievable. And honestly the tall projects I think are the ones that will be built.

The Statesman article has been updated with a little more information.

The 150 room Springhill Suites by Marriott will be 15 stories tall.

The Renaissance Hotel with 200 rooms will be 11 stories.

Yesterdays version of the article gave the height of the Marriott Convention Center Hotel at 26 stories with 650 rooms.

its definatly not the best design in the world. I think they could do better not only in the design but maybe even incorporating the existing properties into the overall building plan. There is plenty of room on that lot and if anything all they need to do is build higher up instead of being so bulky and large.

• 1 month later...

The CEO of Marriott was in Austin yesterday and stated that Las Manitas should move to make way for the new Marriott project. The owners of the restaurant are working with the city to see if they can remain in that location. The lease for Las Manitas expires in December.

J. Willard Marriott said Las Manitas should move, noting that its owners own a different building on the block.

"Why should you hold up a several hundred million dollar investment because of a small little restaurant?" Marriott, chairman and chief executive of Marriott International Inc., said during an Austin visit Thursday. "The restaurant can relocate and should relocate."

Austin American-Statesman: Las Manitas should move, Marriott CEO says

Archived