Montana

angel

Hello...

Have a question here. How come Montana is not on the boards? I know it has a population of less than a million as a state and the largest city is Billings which is the size of a second ring suburb, lol. :rolleyes: Yet, there is growth there. Not as fast as other western states. Other major cities in MT include: Bozeman, Missoula, and Helena. Just curious! :whistling:

C

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello...

Have a question here. How come Montana is not on the boards? I know it has a population of less than a million as a state and the largest city is Billings which is the size of a second ring suburb, lol. :rolleyes: Yet, there is growth there. Not as fast as other western states. Other major cities in MT include: Bozeman, Missoula, and Helena. Just curious! :whistling:

C

To be honest overall there hasn't been very much activity from the west as a whole compared to other parts of the country. Take a look at California and for such a large populated state there ins't that much activity even. But things are picking up a little bit so hopefully we'll start getting a little better representation of some of the western states. I also hope to one day see a New Mexico forum. But it's also not a particularly populated state so not sure on the chances. it might not be easy but if you keep posting info about Montana a lot of times it will eventually draw other people.

Exactly.

Not only does Montana itself has a proportionately small population, but the collective West has a very small representation on UP. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this, as I'm sure that many others here in the West share similar interests to those involved in the more popular local boards.

Posting more about Montana will make those Montana development-related Google queries get higher scores though, so certainly keep it up.

Exactly.

Not only does Montana itself has a proportionately small population, but the collective West has a very small representation on UP. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this, as I'm sure that many others here in the West share similar interests to those involved in the more popular local boards.

Posting more about Montana will make those Montana development-related Google queries get higher scores though, so certainly keep it up.

Yep, that's basically how we got the Arkansas forum going. Arkansas isn't really a very big state either but if you keep posting a lot of info and such it does attract people doing searches on google. Despite not being a big metro the Northwest Arkansas forum I believe is in the top 5 forums in the amount of 'hits' it gets. It's not a lot of fun at the beginning but you never know how things may develop unless you try. :D

well the west has started to gain momentum, not in the way it had when I had full time on my hands. But if you look at it now compared to a couple months ago, there is a dramatic difference. I've just kind of dropped the ball recently with not having very much time on my hands. The more you guys help out the better. I think the reason there is not MT forum, is directly due to the lack of urbanity in MT. Of course if there is an interest created, i'm sure something could be done.

:thumbsup: Thanks All for your responses!

I know that there really isn't the urban center like Chicago or even Lansing in Montana. I just know that the west is growing. Montana is not the fastest state in terms of growth, but there are issues in planning and development that need to be addressed. Its a beautiful state but many come out with the attitude of building a vacation home and only that. Much of the cities have beautiful downtowns and what not. I was in Bozeman for a job interview and that town still had the old drug store as we saw many of those go in city neighborhoods and downtowns across America due to the big box deal. Anyway, I certainly to have an interest in keeping an eye out for what happens in Montana.

I have noticed that the popular forums are the ones definitley back east. In fact, I am moving back to Detroit and I see how many people are active there and it is certainly a lot! There is just more change taking place in our cities back east. Its just where more folks live too!

• 3 months later...

I think people out West are less enamored with cities and urban stuff, so a site like this gets accordingly less traffic.

The Bay Area and Los Angeles area clock in at 7.5mil and ca. 15 mil people, making them some of the largest urban areas in the nation and up there in the world, too, yet you see fewer people here, I think for that very reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I disagree, I think we just haven't made a big enough push to establish communities and forums for discussion on here, the growth in the western forums has been slower, partly due to my own neglegence as moderator, but it will pick up. It'll just take all of us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I actually just got back from spending a few days at my company's corporate headquarters in Missoula, MT. I was actually surprised at the nightlife I saw in it's downtown. Not the most urban setting in the country, but it definitely had a bit of an urban feel that I wasn't expecting.

I've heard many good things about Missoula. Its setting on the river also helps to create a pleasing atmosphere. Mostly, however, I hear that it's rather more progressive than many would expect- probably having something to do with the presence of the university. I'll have to visit some time.

• 1 month later...

Missoula to Montana is like Austin is to Texas. It's 10x prettier than most of the rest of the state (most, not all) and 50x more liberal.

The university is probably the only factor in that. It may also just be the general culture of the region as Missoula seems to be more connected to the more liberal Inland Northwest (Spokane, Coeur d' Alene, etc.) than to the rest of Montana.

Archived