Boiling Springs Developments

lynturner99

Pizza Inn is open, though they don't have a sign up yet. ;-) I wouldn't have guessed that they would have been done before the Copper River Grill. They just didn't seem to be making much progress there for a while, and then WHOOP, there it is!

Also, it seems like the Chick-Fil-A will have an entrance coming from Rainbow Lake Road as well as the strip mall that holds the Game Stop and Papa John's. Hopefully they'll tie another entrance back to either AppleBee's or that road that runs by Bojangle's/Wendy's/Arby's so that I can drive around those places without having to get on Hwy 9 or Rainbow Lake Road unless I'm coming in or heading out. So minor a point that I won't be disappointed, but if they do pave it that way, it'd be a nice little bonus. Not sure why the strip mall with GS/PJ didn't already connect to B/W/A, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

Pizza Inn has its sign on now. Copper River Grill opens tomorrow at 11!!! Woo-hoo! I won't be able to try it out until I get back from AR this weekend though. But I caught one of the guys prepping for Monday yesterday and so I grabbed a menu. I was going to scan it in and post it, but as it turns out, they already have a website. Saves me the trouble!

http://www.copperrivergrill.com/

I'm most looking forward to the Kodiak Chicken. That sounds rather yummy. ;-)

lol

No, I think huck was refering to the menu items. I've only eaten at J. Jr's once or twice, so I don't remember the menu all that well and what parallels there are between the two.

The investor of the restaurant drew his inspiration from an Alaskan lodge, apparantly when he was vacationing in Alaska. Or so the marketing stuff says. It really does like nice, though. There's a lot of use of stone and lumber, which I love. But rest assured, it doesn't look gimmicky. ;-)

On the flipside, it seems they went with regular salmon instead of Alaskan Salmon. What's up wit dat?

Man, I'm really craving some pecan-crusted salmon now. Every time I think of salmon, that's what i think of. I might have to go to Fatz too this weekend. It's not on their menu, but sometimes they'll make it if you ask for it. Yum, yum, yum, yum.....

I see :)

I always liked J Jr's but I think the consolidation with the more successful Fatz Cafe was a better move. Fatz was definitely better, plus their location on Reidville Rd is much closer to my parent's house in Spartanburg than the one in Boiling Springs. :)

• 2 months later...

Boiling Springs Updates

1. Chick-Fil-A is open (has been for the past few weeks) and has been pAcKeD each time I've driven by there. I ate their once, and for fast food, it was certainly good. Hot, fresh, fast and tasty. They connected an entrance from Rainbow Lake Road and the strip mall (Game Stop/Papa John's). No connection to Applebee's! I was really hoping for something that would join all these roads together because traffic is building up in this area. Oh well.

2. I ate at the Pizza Inn a few times since it opened. I was pleased. They rotate through pizzas rather fast when they're busy (which is often). But that's a good thing because you're getting a lot of different pizzas.

3. There's a used car dealership that has gone up. I think it was Dave Edwards that opened it, but I can't remember.

4. There's some big barn looking building that's going up in that area. Not sure what it's going to be, but it looks kinda like a Cracker Barrel. I saw a sign out front that said 'something, something food equipment' so I'm guessing it'll be a restaurant.

5. Jade East (I hope I'm remembering the name right) is going up at the new shopping center next to Copper River Grill. Judging by the name, it'll be yet another china delivery restaurant.

Speaking of the shopping center... Anybody have a clue what else is going up in that shopping center?

I'm so happy with the way Boiling Springs is growing! I'm just thinking of how many businesses that have come in over the past year or so. Game Stop, Papa John's, Copper River Grill, Pizza Inn, perhaps Cracker Barrel, Jade East, FireHouse Subs, Hub City Coffee and probably more whose names escape me.

Well, you have just identified some key problems with Spartanburg County's planning policy. More connectivity would have reduced some congestion, perhaps not by much, but it would have certainly helped. I've talked with planners, and they know what works, the problem is that some of the key council members are under the thumb of developers. I have a suspicion that's why the Mr Rutherford left (former Director of Planning for the County). He dared to suggest that developers be sustainable and actually follow the plan. Hmm....

Anyway, I am just curious- are you really happy about how Boiling Springs is growing? Or are you happy that the volume of businesses in that area is increasing? I, for one, am not happy about the way Boiling Springs is being developed.

Thanks for the updates! I'm not trying to be critical of you, but I am just trying to get a better idea of what you think about it.

Also, how is that trip to space thing going?

I know you're not being critical.

I guess to rephrase I'm happy that we're getting more businesses, but I do have this gut feeling that it's woodruff road all over again. Woodruff Road used to be just a connection from one part of the town to the other. Then it got a red light... Then some businesses.... Then some more businesses... But no real thought process to how the roads connect. So no, I guess I'm not too happy about the way it's growing, but I am very happy to just see growth in the first place. When I moved here 3 years ago, I was uncertain of whether it would grow or stagnate, but there's still businesses coming in. That's exciting for me because the more businesses that I have near my house, the more I save on gas and the higher my property value goes up. :thumbsup: So in short, it's bittersweet. I like it, but I don't like the way it's happened.

I've been told not to talk about the space trip. I don't have to remove my posts, but I'm not allowed to talk about it anymore. :( But I'll give you some even more exciting news than that to make up for it. I'm going to be a dad!!! This will be our first baby! :yahoo:

I understand. I assume everything is still a go then ;) Congrats on fatherhood though. Thats got to be exciting!

Boiling Springs is what it is because largely of Lake Bowen, but also due to access to 85, 26, and Spartanburg's location not too far away. Boiling Springs will definitely continue to grow. I don't see anything stopping it at this point.

Speaking of lake Bowen... There is a lot of dirt being pushed around at the intersection of hwy. 9 and Edwards road beside Lakewinds. I'm hearing that a Publix is on the way.....

That would be sweet! No more Ingles monopoly and having to drive to the eastside for Publix.

• 2 weeks later...

The building going up besides Pizza Hut is going to be the new Ron's Hog Pen, apparently the restaurant outgrew the shops at Wood Creek, and he didn't want to sign a new lease. However, El Patron is in the space at the shops at Wood Creek and is doing well. My wife and I have eaten there several times and highly recommend it. Signs have also gone up besides the Dave Edwards used car lot for a string of shops. Also, heard that Beef O'Grady's will be a tennant in the shops besides Copper River. They have great burgers!

• 1 month later...

this is my first post even though ive been reading the forum for a long time, im from boiling springs and have lived here a good 12 yrs. so i have been here through the explosion of growth, figured i could give an idea of everything that has went up in the past decade. start of from just before the after the new 85 is racetrak,bp,additon to the church, cvs, zaxby's,capri's,fatz, pizza hut, in const. ron's hog pen, parr's and parr 3, grease monkey w/e it is now, post office, days inn, o and at 85 denny's and the hotel next to it and the one across the interstate, some other building are down the days inn road, copper river, pizza inn, ingles,the bank next to it, brusters, the bank next to brusters, the extremely underwhelming dave edwards lot, more of a waste of space than anything, the entire rocky branch plaza, bbt bank, eckerds or i think rite aid now, the bank next to hardee's, sonic, the sherwin williams shop place, another used car lot, the clock, the gas station in the tin building, firehouse subs, the bank next to it which also opened the building firehouse is in, blockbuster, bilo and everything in the bilo parking lot which really ruined the real boiling spring, the small shoppes place behind the corner store, applebee's, walmart and that entire shopping center, gamestop and those shops, chicfila, wendys, bojangles, arbys, tornados, and the new ingles. this list excludes neighborhoods and apartments. basically ive seen bsprings come from a place to ride bikes in the middle of the day on hwy. 9 to what can be an extreme headache during rush hour.

Another welcome to the forum heeldom05. Just so happens that Upstate Forever had an expert address the issue of sustainable growth. One quote I found interesting was "you can decide to either let new development shape the character of Spartanburg or decide if you want Spartanburg to shape the character of new develoment" He also said that a lot of cities in the South seem to have a problem saying "no"

This is the seconed in a six part series concerning urbanisim and sustainable growth.

ARTICLE from the HJ

Edited by hub-city

as much as i like that boiling springs is growing and it has made everything more convenient in the big picture i think its bad for sburg it just takes more attn. away from our city i know myself i dont have any reasons to go downtown besides 2 fer tuesday at wild wings, but i have realized since boiling springs growth started not saying theres any correlation that spartanburg although it once was a city rotting at the core has really become more revitalized, even though the revitalization is good i would still have rather seen more rest. and shops and even clubs open downtown than more 4 story buildings and a removed oversized hotel same thing with our library. back to boiling springs i don't look for things to slow down in bsprings for a while due to the fact of all the empty land just a mile or 2 up from wal mart i think its just goin to be more everexpanding {new ingles}

Well, you've just stated why Boiling Springs is good for Spartanburg. Boiling Springs is a suburb/bedroom community of Spartanburg. Its self-contained enough in that you don't have to leave there, but thousands of people travel to the city for work every day, which is why Hwy 9 has the traffic it does. All of that growth in Boiling Springs means that more peoplea re moving to the area, and all of that can impact the city at some level.

• 2 months later...

there are some new const. projects goin on down hwy. 9 think i know one of them but not sure so will post when i am certain on their purpose. Also maybe i havent seen it but are there projects to reduce traffic on hwy. 9, theres really no way to widen it. one thing i was thinkin of though is maybe widening parris bridge since it runs mostly parallel and putting some connectors up until its connection with old furnace. maybe to divert alot of the traffic that lives in that triangle. lot easier said than done all and all it just seems to be like a really complicated task. i can only imagine if nothing is done what bsprings will look like traffic wise in another 10 yrs. if growth was to keep booming.

heeldom05- I think you have it exactly right. Even if widening Hwy 9 were a simple matter, it would still be extremely expensive and it would not solve the overall problem: one major road in Boiling Springs. Alternate routes of travel are key to the future well being of all who live in Boiling Springs. But I think you'll be glad to know that County Planners are already planning to widen Paris Bridge Rd to Old Furnace to 5 lanes. In fact, of the 8 Long Range transportation projects, half of them are in the Boiling Springs/North Spartanburg area.

Wow, good find. I like the idea of an urban village development in Boiling Springs. It might give that community a more solid "downtown" type of place. But my question is this: who is going to pay $400,000 to $700,000 to live in Boiling Springs?

• Clement Pointe to include:
  • 38 village-style patio homes
  • 29 town homes

$50 million retail section with 75,000 sqft of space for small shops including:
  • 40,000 sqft grocery store
  • 30,000 sqft cinema
  • 8,000 sqft bank
  • 10,000 sqft restaurant
  • 3,600 sqft coffee shop

No tenants to the retail section have signed yet.

Its very exciting to see a movie theater going in up there. Boiling Springs is becoming a full-fledged suburb.