Boiling Springs Developments

lynturner99

Boiling Springs is a disaster of suburban sprawl. I avoid the area at all costs. There are (seemingly) no development guidelines or anything to prevent the out-of-control, piecemeal development in the area. Of course, this is not just happening in Boiling Springs, but it seems to be at its worst there. Not to mention the traffic is horrific. Speaking of which, have they finally started to expand Highway 9 in Boiling Springs? And, just as importantly, are they going to include bike and pedestrian friendly facilities in the road construction as well as landscaped medians (as it was proposed a while ago)?

Yes, they've started on the widening project, but haven't really addressed Hwy 9 yet. They redid Old John Dodd Road, which was critical. There's a ton of subdivisions off of Belcher Rd that use that side road to get to Ingles/Schools/Daycares/Churches and you would also be afraid you'd hit someone on it. They've widened and paved it and I'm quite happy. No bike lane there, but I wouldn't expect one on a side road anyway. They've done a lot to Old Furnace Road and it looks good except for one of the mailboxes is pretty much in the middle of the sidewalk. lol Also, the sidewalk doesn't extend to the park (tennis courts, ballfield, etc...) which was only another 7 or so car lengths down the road. Major blunder in my opinion, but maybe there was a lack of agreement between different parties. I wouldn't be surprised. It looks good, and the traffic at the intersection of Hanging Rock Road is a LOT better than it was. Overall, I'm pleased. Can't remember if there's a bike lane or not, but there's a lot of room for bikes. You'd have no trouble passing someone on a bike on that road. But I do hope they've learned some lessons from this part of the project that will apply to the rest of the project. Is Spartanburg (and the Upstate) still the best place in SC for cyclists?

The widening project is on Hwy. 9. The goofy thing is they have started at the hwy.292/Edwards road area and are working their way back down to BS. So now you will go to two lanes at Walmart, then open back up to 4 once you pass the schools, and then back down to two again before you get to the lake. go figure...

• 6 months later...

Hey ive been following the board for many years now and decided to finally sign up and start posting. I was wondering has anyone heard what the new construction is off the b springs exit at the corner of 85 and 9 across the street from BP? I am really hoping for it not to be another gas station, but more of a chain casual dining restaurant.

Hey ive been following the board for many years now and decided to finally sign up and start posting. I was wondering has anyone heard what the new construction is off the b springs exit at the corner of 85 and 9 across the street from BP? I am really hoping for it not to be another gas station, but more of a chain casual dining restaurant.

Is that where that old Ingles is/was?

I went to BS last month for the first time in years. It's still very sprawly, but the quality of the buildings on Hwy 9 seems to have increased substantially. It seems like a lot of the old houses that were used for businesses are now retail businesses. I'm still adjusting to the fact that they have a Walmart and a Lowes up there (even though that was news like 8 years ago).

• 1 year later...

I checked out the Highway 9 widening progress today, and it looks like Phase 1 is finally getting near completion. Several solid medians (to be landscaped) have been put in, and the final coat of asphalt was being laid on one lane. See the photo below:

post-24605-0-57096400-1350602783_thumb.j

I also saw some tree removal and utility pole relocation happening on a different section of Hwy 9 in preparation for Phase 2.

• 2 months later...

Phase 1 of the Highway 9 widening appears to be finished.  The final coat of asphalt is down, both lanes on each side are open, bike lanes are striped, sidewalks are done (separated from the road by ~6 feet), and there are several planted medians (with grass, but no trees).  There could be more planted medians, if you wanted to nitpick.  But overall, it looks great!

post-24605-0-16520700-1355963282_thumb.j

And Phase 2 is definitely getting started.  That phase is supposed to be finished in 2015.  These things take forever...

Phase 1 of the Highway 9 widening appears to be finished.  The final coat of asphalt is down, both lanes on each side are open, bike lanes are striped, sidewalks are done (separated from the road by ~6 feet), and there are several planted medians (with grass, but no trees).  There could be more planted medians, if you wanted to nitpick.  But overall, it looks great!

attachicon.gifhwy9.JPG

And Phase 2 is definitely getting started.  That phase is supposed to be finished in 2015.  These things take forever...

R-S gives this project an enthusiastic thumbs up.  SCDOT did this one right!  I hope Phase 2 will look the same.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of times trees and other shrubs are planted much later than you might anticipate. The current planting season ends In April so there is still plenty of time. It could even be as late as next winter (the next planting season) if they haven't ordered the trees yet.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Here are a few photos of Phase 2 of the Highway 9 widening project.

post-24605-0-95619800-1379470107_thumb.j post-24605-0-24102600-1379470111_thumb.j

As you can see, curbs have been installed.  The part outside the current usable roadbed doesn't seem to be paved yet; I think it's just tar-covered gravel.  According to SCDOT's website, Phase 2 is from Rainbow Lake Rd to Seay Rd.  As of right now, the progress is only from just before Clark Rd / Bible Church Rd to Seay Rd.  The widening work toward Rainbow Lake Rd hasn't really begun yet.  There's a long way to go; construction isn't supposed to be completed until Fall 2015.

• 4 months later...

Here are a few more photos I took last month of the Highway 9 Phase 2 widening project (heading north).

post-24605-0-23023600-1391554756_thumb.j post-24605-0-65915300-1391554757_thumb.j post-24605-0-95042000-1391554758_thumb.j post-24605-0-61787000-1391554760_thumb.j

They had paved the whole width of much of the road (at least the first layer), and routed traffic around what will become landscaped medians.  It looked like 4-5 medians were already evident.  The section near BS Middle and Oakland Elem (3rd photo) looked like the most complete, as it already had sidewalks.  The northern-most section was the least complete, with curbing only on one side so far.

I was impressed by how far along some sections looked.  It will be great when this is all finished!

Edited by westsider28

• 1 year later...

Haven't seen any mention of these two items, so I thought I'd post and see if anyone has heard any rumors.  Plus, it's been forever since my last post, so I'm just glad to be back on the forum again.  :-)

Last year, some land was cleared right at I-385 and I-585.  At one point, I had heard there would be a mini shopping center.  Someone else thought it was going to be a truck stop (man, I hope not).  So there's that.  I think this one might be all rumors.  It's been sitting idle for a long time.

Other thing is that the Ingles near FBNS has had part of it's parking lot roped off and gravel laid down.  So far, there's been no actual construction.  My gut tells me it's going to be a McDonald's, because that's what they did in the Bi-Lo parking lot @ Hwy 9 and Old Furnace Rd.  Can someone please tell me I'm wrong?  lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just drove up there to check it out.  Looks very nice.  I like all the landscaped medians.  Though, SCDOT apparently can't afford trees.  The only medians with trees are the ones near the 2 schools, where I assume the schools bought them.  They also have small bushes along the sidewalks there.

I also saw where they're building the Aldi's and a new Bojangles (yes, they're moving virtually across the street).

Hwy9a.thumb.JPG.c8f4c86a2f1270d07c728130Hwy9c.thumb.JPG.d2457f459719dc6d327cb249BojAldi.thumb.JPG.b97ce116963c06264527c8