Courthouse Plaza-Thurs. July 20

it's just dave

Nothing like a VW and a wide gap in a gate to put me in the mood to snoop. Whoa. Even sans landscaping, this is going to be one of the most dramatic additions to downtown we've seen in a while. And we won't have to wait long. There's something about standing ON this plaza that makes everything look bigger, better and actually very stunning. I can only imagine how this will look when completed, and then, in two or three years. We should all cheer this development as one of the mayor's crowning achievements. My hats off to him for this.

I was amazed at how large the observation tower really is. It's huge. Here's a sneak peek of the perspective from the top of the tower. This makes our little town look pretty amazing.

Hope you enjoy.

CHP1.jpg

CHP2.jpg

CHP3.jpg

----

hey, who shrunk my pictures? not fair.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well gee. Thanks guys. I have a thread in my head. Time to work on it.

One thing to note, the Plaza is still under construction, so I'm sure the city would prefer we didn't take unnecessary chances. It would probably make them happy we didnt visit at all, but this is us we're talking about. It'll be finished soon, but if you must, as did I, visit, watch your step and watch out for nails.

It won't be long until the Stahlman is all lit up and occupied. That will make for a nice, occupied look where there was only darkness before. I can't wait to see the landscaping.

That angle almost reminds me of a midwestern city. The feeling the pic gives off os the same feeling I have when inside the loop in Chicago. I guess it is the mix of new and old buildings. Very interesting shots. I'd like to see some street level activity like coffee shops and the sort to really make the area come to life.

Nice pictures, and that Courthouse Square looks pretty cool. In your pictures it makes it look like we actually have density (although as we know this is incorrect). It's hard to believe that Nashville is built on such solid rock, but we are. I guess that dashes all hopes of a subway someday. (sigh)

I guess that dashes all hopes of a subway someday. (sigh)

Weeeeelllll.... not exactly. In fact, there are benefits to being on the limestone bed. Remember, in most cases, a subway is dug and not tunnelled. Digging the limestone is more blasting than actual digging. Excavation is approximately the same effort. In addition, the rock can be used as reinforcement to superstructures. Manhattan is almost a solid core of granite (I think), and their subways were built before modern technology. The deepest station in our Marta system is built in a deep bed of the same rock as Stone Mountain, and that IS granite. Granite is generally tougher to excavate than limestone, which is more brittle.

Now on the matter of a subway in Nashville, it's unlikely. Rather, plans are being developed for LRT.

Committed? No... Planning for one? It's in the early stages. There are routes and the RTA is having talks. Chin up... you've got to start somewhere. It took Atlanta twenty years to get from talks to the first line opening in the early 80s. Like downtown lofts, it's on its way to becoming a trend for midsize cities. Charlotte has one in development. Memphis has already started theirs. I can see Nashville, Raleigh, the Florida cities and other key Southern cities with a system in 15 years.

• 1 month later...

Archived