Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voyager12

Bear in Cornelius!

12 posts in this topic

Just when you think sprawl has chased all the critters away... Mother Nature surprises you :D What wild animals do you see most often in your neck of the woods? Aside from the neighbor you don't like :lol:

Well, I grew up in Union County so seeing deer, rabbits, opossum, snakes, turtles, and raccoons was almost a daily occurrence. One day though, I was driving to my parent's house in UC and saw something large and white in the road. For some reason whatever it was I was seeing I was having a hard time wrapping my brain around. I knew it was alive but for a second I thought I might be seeing some sort of unidentified creature. As I got closer and snapped out of my surprised daze that comes with seeing something completely unexpected I realized it was a huge white llama. I've also seen stray ostriches in Union County.

A Llama! How cool. Are there still ostriches running around Union? :P The most exciting animals I have seen in Dilworth are raccoons here and there but even they are being priced out of the neighborhood.

There is a big llama that lives on a sheep farm located along McCoy Rd. between Hambright Rd. and Beatties Ford Rd. He/she can often be seen from McCoy road in his job, I think, of protecting the sheep. The llama's name is Dolly.

i.e. Dolly Llama. LOL

Storytime!

This isn't in Charlotte, but I've had a close encounter with a bear several years ago visiting my parents in suburban Asheville.

Our trash can had been overturned and the trash strewn all over by some animal (we assumed it was a dog or a racoon) for several weeks running, and we had been taking various escalating measures to try to prevent it from happening again. Bungeeing the lid didn't work, chaining it to a post didn't work. So we have the trash can locked shut and chained to the post one night and I hear some rusling and banging outside. I get the idea that I'm going to go out there and scare off the dog that's been making such a mess. It's dark enough so that my eyes take a while to adjust. I walk around the corner to where the trash can is kept, and as my eyes adjust, I first see this patch of shiny fur reflecting in the streetlight hovering about seven feet in the air. As my eyes adjust I can see it's a bear on his hind legs with his front paws on the trash can!

I panic and freeze, Completely forgetting what you're supposed to do with black bears (make lots of noise while slowly backing away.) But evidently the bear wasn't looking for trouble, and he looked at me for a second, and kind of dejectedly turned around and plodded back off up the hill.

I grew up on a home on the side of a mountain. Directly behind my parents' house used to be forest for miles and miles; only recently was this mountain turned into a subdivision and platted out for development. (Not cookie cutter homes, thank goodness). The bear must have just been pushed out by all the development.

A Llama! How cool. Are there still ostriches running around Union? :P

Whenever one makes a break from the pen. Ostrich farming is pretty big in Union and Cabarrus Counties.

I guess Stephen Colbert will never come to LKN.

I guess Stephen Colbert will never come to LKN.

Maybe not. His 2 brothers were killed in the horrific Eastern Airlines crash that happened here in Charlotte in 1974. At the time it was the worst airline crash in US history. He would have been 10 at the time and probably has bad memories of the area.

I have seen deer at Sardis Road and Sardis Road N. and

On W.T. Harris Blvd.

No bears out here in the Matthews area.

Maybe not. His 2 brothers were killed in the horrific Eastern Airlines crash that happened here in Charlotte in 1974. At the time it was the worst airline crash in US history. He would have been 10 at the time and probably has bad memories of the area.

Yeah, I had read that once. Very sad. By the way, his dad also died in that crash, I believe.

[i was just referring to his stated 'irrational fear of bears' that is a recurring theme on his show, but I guess now he has two reasons to not come here.]