Gillioz Theater

Renovation Efforts coming to an end! :yahoo:

HISTORY

In 1926 M.E. Gillioz, built the Gillioz Theatre at a total building cost of $300,000 dollars. M. E. Gillioz was a road and bridge builder from Monett, Missouri, known throughout the state as a flamboyant character and businessman. He traveled from one construction project to the next in his chauffeured Dusenberg, stopping to swap stories with the workers, and often offering a drink from the fully equipped bar in the trunk of his car.

M.E. Gillioz wanted to build his theatre in Springfield, Missouri to front St. Louis Street, a part of the soon to be designated Route 66, but there was no building site available. Instead he purchased a site on Olive Street, one block away, built his theatre to fill the entire city block and signed a 100-year lease on a 25-foot wide store front on St. Louis that backed up to his new auditorium. This narrow storefront became the lobby to the theatre and remained under separate ownership until the entire package was donated to the Landmarks Preservation Trust.

OCTOBER 11, 1926

The eleventh day of October in 1926 is a memorable date in the history of America. It is the day that a numerical designation was assigned to a Chicago-Los Angeles route and "The Mother Road" was born.

But the designation of Route 66 was not the only landmark happening on that date. The Gillioz Theatre opened that day and it opened on a section of Route 66 known as St. Louis Street in downtown Springfield, Missouri.

Join us for the reopening of the Gillioz. ENCORE 2006, eleven days

of activities including visual art and performance art, film, a public

speaking showcase, computer animation coupled with performance

art, and more. OCTOBER 12-22, 2006

The Heralded Mr. Gillioz

gilloiz.jpgmrgillioz250.jpg

Article346Image8.jpg

front300.jpgstageview300.jpg

upperhall2300.jpgsignfront250.jpg

Southwest Missouri Congressman Roy Blunt and the Springfield Landmarks Preservation Trust will honor President Ronald Reagan by naming the complex that includes the Gillioz Theater and the Jim D. Morris Art Center the Ronald and Nancy Reagan Center. Ronald and Nancy Reagan attended the world premiere of the movie "The Winning Team" in Springfield at the Gillioz on June 7, 1952. Ronald Reagan starred as baseball player and legend Grover Cleveland Alexander in the movie. During the 50th anniversary of the movie's release, Nancy Reagan accepted a position as a member of the Gillioz Theater Honorary Board.

Built in 1926 along Route 66, the Gillioz was the community's premier live stage theater and movie house with its ornate plaster cornice, frieze detailing and fixtures. Styled in Spanish Colonial Revival architecture with Mediterranean, Italian and Moroccan influences, the Gillioz was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. Today, a major renovation project is underway to restore the Gillioz Theater as the centerpiece of Springfield's arts community with live theater, music, movies, dance, entertainment and events. The project includes expansion into the neighboring Morris Art Center to accommodate the theater's offices, modern restroom facilities, a restaurant, art exhibits and a grand ballroom.

For more information on the Gillioz Theater go to.......www.gillioz.org

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is the theatre going to open on time. I love old places like that. Our Auditorium in Eureka Springs was renovated a couple of years ago but it is not nearly the size of the Gilloiz. What is the lastest if you have any information.

Thanks

Steve

So is the theatre going to open on time. I love old places like that. Our Auditorium in Eureka Springs was renovated a couple of years ago but it is not nearly the size of the Gilloiz. What is the lastest if you have any information.

Thanks

Steve

Yes, the theater will open on time.......and with a bang I might add. It will be a 2 week celebration with performances by the heralded Springfield Opera as well as MSU Concert Chorale, MSU theater program, Springfield Ballet, Movies......and much more! I got to see a sneak peak a week ago when it was the last time to see the theater before it opens and WOW I was soo amazed at the detail and revitalization efforts put into this thing. Then again it is a 10 million dollar renovation so I would expect it to be facinating. If you can I would highly suggest coming up to see the opening you will not only be amazed at the theater itself but also the entertainment Springfield has to offer.

That's awesome that such a beautiful historic theater will be reopening in Springfield. There seems to be quite a few historic theaters in Springfield that are operational. It seems to me that Springfield has a higher percentage of entertainment diversity per capita than most cities in the region. Branson has more entertainment, but not really that diverse.

That's awesome that such a beautiful historic theater will be reopening in Springfield. There seems to be quite a few historic theaters in Springfield that are operational. It seems to me that Springfield has a higher percentage of entertainment diversity per capita than most cities in the region. Branson has more entertainment, but not really that diverse.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised of Springfield's art and Theater scene. There are 5 theaters on the

National Register of Historic Places within a .5 mile radius of each other in downtown Springfield alone. That doesnt inlcud the many other places on the list around town. Springfield actually has a more arts, theater, music scene than Tulsa.

Great theater but I hope they can get someone to do some shows there. No line up and what they have planned looks a little weak. The Juanita K. Hammons Center has had some good shows but their general manager left. Does Springfield have a problem with the support of the arts or am I missing something.

Steve

Great theater but I hope they can get someone to do some shows there. No line up and what they have planned looks a little weak. The Juanita K. Hammons Center has had some good shows but their general manager left. Does Springfield have a problem with the support of the arts or am I missing something.

Steve

You're definatley missing something. Springfield has been rated 10th in the nation for best cultural communities. Hammons Hall has had nothing short of phenomenal talent such as Boston Pops, Martina Mcbride, "BLAST", The Producers, Jerry Sienfield, Cats, Stomp, Aretha Franklin.......and countless other show's, comedians, artists that I don't have time to mention. The Springfield Little Theater (Landers Theater) is one of the oldest Performing Theaters in the 4 state area in which showcases local talent, more notably theater majors from the famous MSU (SMSU) Theater Program. The likes of Kathleen Turner, John Goodman, Brad Pitt, Tess Harper......have graced the many stages of Springfield, MO through that program. Then theres the Shrine Mosque and Hammons Student Center which hosts many concerts for the younger crowd. Rascal Flatts, Creed, Stained, 50 Cent, Nelly, Tim Mcgraw, Faith Hill.......Then there's the Greater Ozarks Blues Fest and many many more Events that I could name off all night. Remember that the Gilloiz is still 2 months form opening and they just most likely haven't updated the site. Its hard to fill the more than 8 theaters and music venues in downtown alone.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived