Largest cities in Louisiana

NCB

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Landsat_new_orleans_nfl.jpg

That is amazing. Good thing the city is sandwiched between Lake Ponchatrain and the Mississippi River or it probably would have looked like Houston; a lot of infustrature, but not a massive grey area on the map. But that's good because it makes the city look more impressive.

I remember after Katrina reading some so called expert saying sprawl has run out of control in the New Orleans area. I don't think he's even been there.

No crap. It's such a dense place. You want to see sprawl? Check out Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc. Heck, even Baton Rouge.... but NOT New Orleans.

Yeah Atlanta, Houston, and even Baton Rouge are the poster children for sprawl. Soon the cow's will have no room to graze. ha

Yes. Add pretty much every large Southern city to that list. Nashville in particular comes to mind, w/ a metro population represented by 13 counties.

BR has some serious sprawl issues for a metro that's yet to clip the 1 million mark. But there's also a nice city core spanning from the river to Essen which continues to densify.

EDIT: Does anyone know what's going with the undeveloped land on Burbank b/t Parker and Brightside? This is valuable real estate. Am I confusing this w/ a BR land reserve mentioned earlier?

I just found this company advertising on the Shreveport Times website. It's a Baton Rouge-based map company who is selling bound copies of Louisiana city maps. This is one complete map book, and I just might have to buy one from them. I've NEVER seen ANY map cover as much of the Shreveport-Bossier area as this one does! It covers from Arcadia, LA, all the way to Marshall, TX, and then all the way up to the Arkansas line which is something I've always wanted to see on a local metro map.

Here's their Shreveport-Bossier map:

http://www.stinsonmap.com/images/wallmaps/...xshreveport.jpg

Here's their website:

http://www.stinsonmap.com/

You guys might want to check out your own metro maps!!

I just found this company advertising on the Shreveport Times website. It's a Baton Rouge-based map company who is selling bound copies of Louisiana city maps. This is one complete map book, and I just might have to buy one from them. I've NEVER seen ANY map cover as much of the Shreveport-Bossier area as this one does! It covers from Arcadia, LA, all the way to Marshall, TX, and then all the way up to the Arkansas line which is something I've always wanted to see on a local metro map.

Here's their Shreveport-Bossier map:

http://www.stinsonmap.com/images/wallmaps/...xshreveport.jpg

Here's their website:

http://www.stinsonmap.com/

You guys might want to check out your own metro maps!!

Here's the neighborhood I lived in. In the E section. I can see the school I went to- Green Park, I lived on the corner of Lynette and Vegas. My grandparents lived in the M section in River Ridge.

neighborhood

just found this company advertising on the Shreveport Times website. It's a Baton Rouge-based map company who is selling bound copies of Louisiana city maps. This is one complete map book, and I just might have to buy one from them. I've NEVER seen ANY map cover as much of the Shreveport-Bossier area as this one does! It covers from Arcadia, LA, all the way to Marshall, TX, and then all the way up to the Arkansas line which is something I've always wanted to see on a local metro map.

Thanks for posting that Brian. Stinson Map Co. has come a long way. They seem to make more improvments with each edition that comes out. You are right, they do cover alot of area too. I can only find a few errors with some of the streets in BR. But it's a very useful mapbook for sure.

I just got off the phone with my dad. He was working on David Dr. I asked him how Kenner and Metaire were and he said terrible, I asked if he meant destruction and he said yes. I then asked him if there are a lot of people there and he said too many.

Too many is definately right. Though I wouldn't say the destruction in most of Metairie and Kenner is "terrible," a lot of improvement has been made and most of all area's are liveable. Most of it doesn't look very bad at all in comparison with New Orleans East of Saint Bernard Parish.

I remember going down to Kenner and seeing a hotel that looked like the whole side got ripped off, but it did look like the people in the neighborhoods had started to clean up.

Was it a pretty big building along I-10? It may have been the Galleria Building in Metairie, that looked pretty bad after Katrina. It's all repaired now though.

I have always been impressed with that building. Being that size that far a distance from the NOLA CBD. A classic when it was built. If I remember correctly another high-rise was going to be built next to it, but it never panned-out.

^ Check that.....5 more towers were planned; 1 out of 6 is better than nothing. Can you imagine six of those in Metairie ??

^ Check that.....5 more towers were planned; 1 out of 6 is better than nothing. Can you imagine six of those in Metairie ??

Yea if the whole plan had panned out, it would have been awesome. Though I'm happy to have just the one, as so many plans like that end up with nothing at all.

I have always been impressed with that building. Being that size that far a distance from the NOLA CBD. A classic when it was built. If I remember correctly another high-rise was going to be built next to it, but it never panned-out.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Six of those would be amazing!

Archived