5th & Main, etc.

it's just dave

There's some serious digging going on at 5th and Main. Huge hole in the works. Lots of noisy machinery this morning.

East End Lofts rising.

East Park Community Center moving right along, addresses Woodland St. nicely.

New gourmet grocery/restaurant in the Walnut Exchange Building opening this fall. Pretty cool.

Looks like Portland Brew is about ready to open next to Rosepepper on Eastland.

Martin's Corner is looking pretty spiffy. Nice to see "sold" signs all over the place.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave -

If you ever out and about, I think another east nashville photo tour is due with all the new construction going on in the area.

thanks for the updates...i think 5th and main is going to completely change that area

Dave -

If you ever out and about, I think another east nashville photo tour is due with all the new construction going on in the area.

thanks for the updates...i think 5th and main is going to completely change that area

Ditto that. Dave - do you have any knowledge about what is going on with some of the properties along Gallatin? I notice that there are a couple of commercial properties on Gallatin (north of Eastland) that now have fences around them or that otherwise seem to be in "in transition" - just hopefull in the right direction. And I think that there are several existing commercial properties along Main Street that are for lease. Have the rents already starting going up that are pushing out marginal business and bringing in better ones?

The other thing that I am waiting for on Gallatin is the new Auto Diesel College campus.

I haven't been to Middle Earth in a while. That's my term for the area between North Inglewood, where I am, and Eastland or so. Usually, I access downtown through Shelby Park and Davidson St. or Ellington. Guess, it's time to venture into the area and see what's going on. I was at the Wal-Mart grocery the other day and wondered how different the NADC area will look once they start expanding. Some things sure need to go. NADC is a school we should really be proud to have in Nashville because of its national draw. It'll sure be nice to dress up the existing area for the students.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
There's some serious digging going on at 5th and Main. Huge hole in the works. Lots of noisy machinery this morning.

East End Lofts rising.

East Park Community Center moving right along, addresses Woodland St. nicely.

New gourmet grocery/restaurant in the Walnut Exchange Building opening this fall. Pretty cool.

Looks like Portland Brew is about ready to open next to Rosepepper on Eastland.

Martin's Corner is looking pretty spiffy. Nice to see "sold" signs all over the place.

^ Why is 5th&Main important? First, it's replacing an aluminum warehouse and parking lot with street-fronting retail and office space. Above and around the retail is five stories of scores of residential units, some affordable, some market rate. Second, this is the first project of this type in Nashville -- it might be a trend-setter. It's developed by the Home Company which also developed Row 8.9n, which received significant national publicity. Third, the success of sales to date proves that the demand exists for this type of product. It's important for the same reasons any decent-quality, thoughtful development is important. It is intended to contribute to the improvement of the built environment.

5th & Main is to be another "mixed use" project - predominantly residential, with some retail/restaurant on the first floor. The big hole that's been commented on will provide underground parking for both the retail/restaurant tenants and the residents in the two main buildings. There are also 11 townhouses separate from the two main buildings, but they have their own individual 2-car garages. A large portion of the parking complex roof will end up being covered, which then becomes a plaza behind the two buildings, providing outdoor seating and a landscaped outdoor area.

The big news here, although I can't find explicit reference to it via Google or the like, is that the owners of Germantown Cafe have committed to opening a restaurant in the complex! Not a Germantown Cafe clone, I've been told, but if it's just as good with a different concept, I'm perfectly happy! This should do a great deal for the neighborhood, in general, as all as the project, in particular.

I hope this isn't perceived as soliciting - I'm not a realtor or a developer. But I am a future resident of 5th and Main! I have a contract on one of the smaller townhouses, so I'm watching the project with more interest than most.

I believe that they'd decided to make the two main buildings a floor taller than originally designed - more interest than they'd originally anticipated, and the design still worked for the site. I took a look at the renderings - they look like 4 floors above the retail. I believe it's now 5. But ... I could be mistaken.

Also, there are numerous phases to this development. Some 4-5 story flats north of the townhouses (maybe rental and/or condos) as well as additional units towards N. 6th St. So a pretty big investment in East Nashville over the next few years. (First move-ins are to be optimistically the end of 2007 - I'm thinking more early 2008, myself.

Happy to provide any info I can!

Thanks for the update, and welcome to the forum, Hope! My host in Nashville took me on a tour yesterday and I saw this hole with the two cranes overhead. I can't say how much I think this will inject life into that corridor of East Nashville. BTW: East is really something. It's such a beautiful area of town and so close to DT. I was amazed at the renovations going on there. Fatherland is a gem. And that Carnegie Library with the school across the street will look great with the new park in the middle. When will that start?

As I get older and more aware of what makes great cities... the more I realize it's not the talls downtown and how many shopping malls. It's places like East Nashville and the Richland and Cherokee and Woodlawn areas of West Nashville. I'm coming back soon... and next time I'm bringing the wife.

Archived