5th & Main, etc.

it's just dave

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McFerrrin Park. That's a neighborhood we're starting to hear more about. Welcome btw. The lofts at McFerrin and Cleveland look really nice. Never thought I'd have seen that there, but really glad it made it.

The Rehab site has been like that for so long you'd think it was the Great Wall of China. Or a huge one-man job. Or exactly what I don't know. I remember when the hospital wanted to build where 5th and Main is going, but a certificate of need was denied. My guess is that sometime in the future the hospital will be acquired by a company with bucks to spend and go from there. It's an odd looking structure isn't it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, all:

I was driving down Main Street heading toward 5&M on Saturday evening and noticed some slight changes that are really encouraging. In addition to the new businesses that are coming in, it seems that several of the existing buildings are putting up nicer signage and that some of the properties are adding landscape-type lighting that reflects well on their facades. Now, a lot of these properties aren't great to begin with, but they did seem to look better at night than I recall. On the other hand, I am frankly disgusted that the old plantation house, which was bad enough being used as a thrift store, burned. What a shame! But otherwise, things already seem to be perking up along Main Street. Has anyone else noticed this?

Skyline Blvd.? Wow, we sure got creative on that one! That just seems silly to me because although Dickerson Pike may have a negative conotation, Skyline Blvd. could be ANYWHERE and people will have no idea what it is. It's just SO generic! I think the fundamental idea is fine, but I just hate 'Skyline.'

PS. Do we really want to name the street to pay homage to HCA?

They could go back in the area's history and find a family that used to have a large home there, something from our history, rename it with the typical 'Pike' nomenclature (i.e. Franklin Pike goes to Franklin, Nolensville Pike to Nolensville, Hillsboro Pike to Leipers Fork/Franklin...etc), something native American, Lafayette?, I dunno give the Civic Design Center a project....they come up with good stuff, but Skyline seems so generic to me. Maybe Dickerson isn't so bad!

Considering the view when driving down Dickerson into town, I think Skyline is an appropriate name. I think the name draws from more than just the hospital. However if a more historical name were to be chosen, my guess is that it would have to do with buffalo. Dickerson Pike's route was once a buffalo trail. Buffalo Blvd.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stori...05/daily29.html

This should have a positive effect on the whole area between Dickerson and Ellington Parkway. Just getting some people traveling on Dickerson -- people that otherwise might never drive on that road -- will open some eyes to how much potential there is along Dickerson. It is so close to downtown and there is so much land ready for development or redevelopment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived