5th & Main, etc.

it's just dave

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is to be an Open House, of sorts, at 5th and Main, on June 9 and 10, 1-5 pm. It is for both folks who already have contracts and for the general public. Rumor is it will even have hardhat tours of the complex, even if it is only the concrete shell at this stage of things.

Should be interesting for folks who like to stay on top of the ongoing real estate/development projects in Nashville.

Seems that first move-ins are possibly late 2007, but more likely Q1 2008.

• 3 weeks later...

I was running errans in that neighboorhood on Friday and noticed the construction looked week. The support colunms look like twigs and the floors are very thin concreate. I'm no building expert, but from watching Encore, Viridian, Icon, Hampton, and others go up recently, it really looks like they are cutting corners on this one.

I got some pics on my camera but they didn't come out too well... has anyone else been able to drive by? Anyone else agree?

Well, I attended the 5th and Main open house on Saturday, the 9th. It was late in the day, and pretty quiet. (Just for the open house weekend, the sale center had been moved to the construction trailer that is on the very back of the lot. Otherwise it is still across the street next to the carwash.) According to the Village Realty reps, it had been a successful day.

They did take me up to the 3rd floor of the building running parallel to Main St., to both see what's going on in it, and, by looking out the back, to see where the townhouses will be. (They are to be breaking ground on the townhouses in a matter of days, so I was told!)

big_Courtyard.jpg

If I understand the rendering, we were taken up in the area on the left side of this layout. (Think of the complex as shaped somewhat like the letter C, with three straight sides. And the bottom side is shorter than the top.) Main Street is on the left, on the far side of the building to the left of the concrete plaza, and we're facing Spring St., which is on the other side of the far building. The townhouses are to be on the right side of this drawing. Their backyards are effectively defined by that row of trees on the right. The opening in the bottom left of the drawing is the entrance to the underground parking for both the retail businesses on the ground floor and all of the condos other than the townhouses which will have their own two-deep garages.

There are some nice views of downtown from where we were, but once the building along Spring goes up (it's now only about 1 or 2 stories), the views will be pretty well gone, I think. And it's a bit less than ideal to have it reinforced that the units in this first stage will be overlooking and looking down upon the rooftop terraces of the townhouses. (The townhouses have their garages and some storage at the basement level, and three living levels above, with the rooftop terraces off the top level, on top of the middle floor.) Oh well!

Perhaps most interesting - very few units are left! But there are a scattering of almost all sizes. From the single-room studios to the two-story lofts. There are even two of the larger townhouses available!

The layout of the streets are visible - the road running east and west from 6th toward Spring, and the intersecting street that runs from Main to the trees in the back of the lot. While there is by no means anything resembling paving or curbs or even outlines, it does give a good idea as to what the layout will be.

Happy to answer whatever I can.

• 4 weeks later...
Indeed, things are starting to clean up along Gallatin Road in small but noticeable ways. One of the old gas stations near Gallatin and Chicamauga (across from the Eastland Kroger) has been cleaned up and turned into a scooter store, East Side Scooters. Lots of stores are replacing their signage, and the pawn shop is repainting its exterior and possibly doing more renovations. And two adjacent houses zoned commercial on Gallatin that used to house marginal business are bewig sold by owner. I am glad to see that things are cleaning up on my end of the street, I just wish that some of the actual buildings would be torn down and replaced altogether (such as the two houses with bars over the windows and ad-hoc porch support beams). Of course, Main Street seems to get better every day. 5th&Main structure is up past the second story in some places. Keep it coming!

• 6 months later...

Wondering what is going through people's heads now that 5th and Main is within maybe 6 months of completion?

There's been a good amount of positive buzz in the press, that this project should be one of the success stories of new construction in 2008. Lookswise, it's growing on me.

From a neighborhood perspective, it has been somewhat disconcerting to have the mission-like facility across Main Street. I believe it's part of the church there. I know, not in my backyard. I have nothing against the facility, per se, just that there are frequently large numbers of men hanging out on the street in the area. Often times in various states of intoxication. Can be a little unnerving. I know, that's what happens when you move into an "up and coming" neighborhood!

Here's a picture from the 5th and Main site, but it's a few months old. They have much more of the exterior work done, as well as the townhouses are much farther along. (The townhomes are the framed items running up and down, to the right of center.

To get your bearings, Main St., which turns into Gallatin Road, is the road on the left. Downtown is straight ahead toward the top of the page, which is James Robertson Parkway. Spring Street runs off to the right, with the ramp to Ellington Parkway just ahead. The exit ramp FROM Ellington Parkway southbound hits the top right corner of the complex. Spring turns into 5th off to the top left at the intersection.

5andMain.jpg

People liking the looks of the project? Do they think it will succeed?

I think they are near sell out and I look for Phase 2 to get the go ahead. This is about the only affordable housing in the DT area right now.

I think 5th& Main is going to be one of the highlights of growth. This is a smart project.

Now the intoxicated folks hanging around, I would say to you that the same thing is right DT on Church street. A cost of living in an urban setting.

I am really excited to see this one open.

I pass this one frequently and am really pleased with the impact the building alone has from all angles. Being so close most of the time, it'll be nice to have another "Germantown Cafe" style restaurant, even a Starbucks in the area. I believe it will be a catalyst for many things to come. The building itself will be striking; it already is. It's hard to miss from almost any vantage point. Bring on Phase Two!

And besides, there's just as many intoxicated men hanging outside the clubs of Demonbreun. They just look better. Then they drive. I look for good things for the east side in the years ahead.

I drove by this yesterday, and I gotta say I don't really get this one. Other than one side having a great view of downtown, it's not much of an urban living environment. It seems like the only thing within decent walking distance is a gas station and a church or two, and its proximity to two major highways is just noise without much benefit (unless those living there are commuting OUT of downtown).

I drove by this yesterday, and I gotta say I don't really get this one. Other than one side having a great view of downtown, it's not much of an urban living environment. It seems like the only thing within decent walking distance is a gas station and a church or two, and its proximity to two major highways is just noise without much benefit (unless those living there are commuting OUT of downtown).

Archived