New Building Spec Options

lbl627mo

I would love to see a building much like the Frost Bank Building being built in Austin. I think it is a perfect addition to our downtown landscape. I'm worried all of the new condo complexes look so modern that we lose some of the conservative flair that Charlotte has.

Visit

http://www.dudapaine.com/home.html

and click Commercial and it's the 2nd row down

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see a building much like the Frost Bank Building being built in Austin. I think it is a perfect addition to our downtown landscape. I'm worried all of the new condo complexes look so modern that we lose some of the conservative flair that Charlotte has.

Visit

http://www.dudapaine.com/home.html

and click Commercial and it's the 2nd row down

while i think charlotte could stand to go more modern than anything we've seen... i do agree that the frost bank is dandy looking tower. the spire is majestic. the ground level seems a little sterile, but man - i'd take it.

I like the Frost too. However I feel it is not tall enough for Charlotte's skyline. And at 40 stories or so, it might lose it's charm.........

I agree with your premise that Charlotte needs more classic high-rise architecture. 210 Trade and Wachovia will be modern. Hopefully a new project around the corner might bring back a little more classicism, so that the skyline doesn't become completely modern like Houston's.

That Frost Bank Building is way too short, it looks stubby. Charlotte needs a building like 30 Hudson Street in Jersey City, a few buildings like 7 WTC in NYC, and that big black tower in Seattle.

The Goldman Sachs Buiding is too plain for my taste. I would like to see something more like the New World Trade Center in Shanghai. Modern is not my thing, however, I think this was tastefully done and looks great at night.

newworld.jpg

What is Two Corporate Center, on the very bottom row of commercial? It says it's in Charlotte.

It was BoA's original site plan for their second corporate center, it got shot down, fell through, didn't happen for whatever reason and now they are building the Ritz there. You win some, you lose some.

My choice for a spec tower would easily be the World Tower (The green and black one) in Sydney.

DSC01600.jpg

Again I always say I like classic over comtempory, however, the One Wall Centre in Vancouver is quite amazing. I was just there a few months ago. Impressive.

246785.jpg

144226.jpg

Also, the new Sofitel Hotel building is impressive in NYC. The design could work for commercial space as well. It's great from the street (the entrance) as well as adding to the skyline. I think we have topped ourselves out with high end hotels uptown for a while with the Westin and the Ritz.

206054.jpg

Here's the question....

How long do you think it will take the Omni and Marriott to do a full scale renovation of their hotels. They are just HORRIBLE. I would never recommend anyone staying in them. The Hyatt connected to Wachovia isn't bad but not inthe most prime location (right now). Once the EpiCenter is complete they will get more business.

I can't see something that new age ever flying here in Charlotte. Baby steps.

problem is.. "baby steps" and "modern" don't work together. charlotte has been baby steppin' for a long time now... its time for full throttle - into the FUTURE!

while, i can appreciate the trump tower posted above.... i think it would stick out more than anything in charlotte. in terms of architecture... charlotte is a new city, and we have never embraced the past. we are the city with the invisible history.

aussie, thanks for posting the pic of world tower/sydney. not my favorite angle, but that building is awesome.

Archived