Nonstop flights from Osaka and Singapore planned

Bears

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a couple places to take pics, they aren't necessarily great. One is on the east side of the runways, north of the new TANG and cargo area, problem is it's below the grade of the runways. Another is by FedEx, there is this parking lot right beside the east-west runway that is empty during weekends.

Prob here is when will the plane be taking off? Unlikely it would be during the day (although that would be coool). And by what I've heard, they will be parking the 380s closer to Airways than the east side.

Maybe they could create an "official" park on the west side.

Well, you have three years left to make plans.

Maybe even longer. The A380 is plagued with technical problems, and recently the head of Airbus resigned over charges of corruption when he sold his stock in the company just before the news was announced about the A380 debacle. And the British just this past week essentially pulled out of Airbus.

And for its part, Boeing has announced an updated 747 that will cost less/pound to carry freight than the A380.

747-8-Freighter-Intercontinental.jpg

There are a couple places to take pics, they aren't necessarily great. One is on the east side of the runways, north of the new TANG and cargo area, problem is it's below the grade of the runways. Another is by FedEx, there is this parking lot right beside the east-west runway that is empty during weekends.

Prob here is when will the plane be taking off? Unlikely it would be during the day (although that would be coool). And by what I've heard, they will be parking the 380s closer to Airways than the east side.

There are some vacant lots along Airways, between Raines and Shelby Drive, where they cleared away houses due to the noise. There's one in particular where you can park, and it has a nice view of the western parallel runway (36L/18R). I have parked there before without being told to go away, but I never tried to take pictures.

The A380s will park on a new ramp that is being constructed north of Winchester Rd., between Swinnea and Tchulahoma. Unfortunately, a tall concrete wall has been constructed that will make it difficult to see anything while driving down Winchester.

I just noticed the airport in my town has an offical Airplane viewing park. This is a great idea for the vacant lots cdarr mentioned. That space is big enough for viewing areas on the airport side and playground, walking trail, and a picnic gazebos on the other side seperated with a clear soundbarrier wall.

There are some vacant lots along Airways, between Raines and Shelby Drive, where they cleared away houses due to the noise. There's one in particular where you can park, and it has a nice view of the western parallel runway (36L/18R). I have parked there before without being told to go away, but I never tried to take pictures.

The A380s will park on a new ramp that is being constructed north of Winchester Rd., between Swinnea and Tchulahoma. Unfortunately, a tall concrete wall has been constructed that will make it difficult to see anything while driving down Winchester.

Where is the intermodal station supposed to go? Its said that its going to be on Brooks Road and Airways on a 9 acre site. If my memory serves me correctly, the north side of this intersection is already developed and the southside is directly under the final landing approach for the Fedex runway.

I dunno if you'll be allowed to take pictures of the hub itself because Fedex probably has some corporate secrecy rules. Dunno if this applies to the parking lot, but I doubt they have security guards watching for picture takers off the hubs property. Also, if that vacated neighborhoods roads are still intact and not gated off, I don't see why you couldn't park there and take pictures.

I dunno if you'll be allowed to take pictures of the hub itself because Fedex probably has some corporate secrecy rules. Dunno if this applies to the parking lot, but I doubt they have security guards watching for picture takers off the hubs property. Also, if that vacated neighborhoods roads are still intact and not gated off, I don't see why you couldn't park there and take pictures.

Not long after 9-11, I read in the newspaper that an older couple was taken into custody by the Airport Police because they were parked along Tchulahoma beneath the approach to Rwy 27, taking pictures. The cops let them go as soon as they confirmed that they were just plane spotters.

New photos are being posted on airliners.net from MEM all the time. Most of themare taken by the same guy, who apparently is a FedEx employee because he posts numerous close-ups of FedEx aircraft taken from the ramp. But he has also posted pictures taken from the same spot on Airways I was talking about, so you can probably get away with picture-taken over there. Unless you look like you're from Tehran...

Archived