$250 million investment for Greer

Spartan

There is a $250 million deal could bring 2,000 jobs in the Greer area. This is pretty huge. Not to mention that there are $250 million worth of other potential deals. Thats $500 million in potential investment on the west side of Spartanburg County!!

Here are some quotes:

"The development would be located in the western-most part of Spartanburg County, in the vicinity of Highway 14 and I-85. The site is near Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System's Village at Pelham."

"The development in question is called "mixed-use," a master-planned community like those that are found elsewhere in the country."

We are talking about this Spartanburg County development in the following places:

Greer Updates

Economic Development in South Carolina

Sugar Tit sticks it to Greer

Lets keep most of the discussion here.

The Greenville News also has an article on this development.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am guessing they are hoping to attract large manufacturing companies or corporations to settle among the master-planned community near the airport.

Here is a quote from the Greenville News: "It's not a manufacturing or industrial site or company, and I don't discuss projects that are in progress," said David Britt, vice chairman of the Spartanburg County Council and chairman of the county's economic development committee. "I would label it as in the infancy stages."

I guess that means it won't have manufacturing or industrial jobs. :unsure:

This is great! :yahoo: I had quite a time finding it though... "do i look in Spartanburg because it's in Spartanburg County or Greenville because it's in Greenville's sprawl through Greer?"

Anyway, I guess if Greenville and Spartanburg HAVE to grow together (toward each other and eventually meet- in terms of development) then this is definitely the best way for it to happen. So glad that this will be a master planned development of sorts.

to clarify---Not that growing together is necessarily bad, but when two cities at such a distance grow together, then it usually screams sprawl... which is bad. :)

Hi, I am new here but have been lurking for several months. I found this website as I was doing research on the Village at Pelham.

I live within 2 miles of the Village at Pelham and have been amazed at the growth in theis area.

While reading the Greenville News article, I wondered If our land is being "aquired" for this new development.

I hope it is something that will increase our property values.

Based on the comments by the director at the Village at Pelham, I think it will be something health oriented or TND.

The problem with residential added to the commercial is the Environs zone. If you have ever been on HWY 14 near 85 when a plane is landing, you think it may land on top of you! :o

Fortunately, we live outside of the majority of close airplane traffic and do not have to deal with it.

Thanks!

My husband and I just drove around to see just where 500 acres together could be aquired and if it is very close to the Village at Pelham. The only areas would be between 85, 14 and the water waste treatment plant. I can not imagine any thing residential in that area as there is always a slight smell.

I really am stumped as to where the 500 acres could be unless it is all commercial like a Greenridge development.

Beyond the waste treatment plant is the intersection of 14 and Pelham where they are building the Bloom supermarket and there would not be 500 available acres together in that area.

I wonder if the Village of Pelham is used more as a point of reference and the actual site may be closer to the new Brockman-McClimon exit.

What is it that you don't really like about New Urbanist developments? Architecture, design, affordability, etc.?

I think one thing that always goes unmentioned about new urbanist developments... diversity. There isn't any. Most new urbanist developments are simply suburbs laid out slightly differently.

Some may trumpet that they have multi-family housing on site, but for economic purposes, it's not much different from a traditional suburb. Show me non-residential space in a new urbanist development, and I'll show you space that is one of the following:

1. Vacant

2. Not service-oriented (convenience stores, restaurants, etc.)

3. Heavily subsidized

There are places where new urbanist developments can meet its intended goals... but it is typically only part of a larger planned transit-oriented development... or as infill development. In a suburban setting, it is nothing more than a pretty suburb.

Don't get me wrong. New urbanist subdivisions are great... and definitely better than the traditional suburb... but they aren't some kind of new suburban ideal. They still do little to alleviate inefficient development patterns and auto-dependency.

One thing I find very interesting is that if the development could bring 2000 jobs to the area and is the biggest project since BMW, where is Mark Sanford?

Carroll Campbell helped bring BMW to the Upstate.

If this project is such a big deal than Mark Sanford could use it as a tool for re-election.

One thing I find very interesting is that if the development could bring 2000 jobs to the area and is the biggest project since BMW, where is Mark Sanford?

Carroll Campbell helped bring BMW to the Upstate.

If this project is such a big deal than Mark Sanford could use it as a tool for re-election.

Very true. What an opportunity for positive publicity.

There several key differences here from BMW that makes it impossible for Sanford to do that.

* The project has not been announced and is not "definite" at this point. If it didn't pan out, that would backfire on him.

* These 'jobs' may just be the ANTICIPATED jobs when the office park or whatever this is comes. These aren't 'real yet. If that is the case, there is no Company CEO to pose with.

This sounds like a Verdae-type thing. Housing with office parks and retail interspaced. A master-planned community, not a true industrial announcement like BMW was.

My Mark Sanford comment was meant to be slightly sarcastic. I realize Carroll Campbell had to compete with other states for BMW and add incentives in order to "win" BMW for SC.

I find it hard to believe that if a project that big is coming to Greer, Greer would be so hush hush about it. Granted it is in its infancy, but bringing possibly 2000 jobs is a big deal.

• 4 months later...
This project has yet to be 'officially' announced. Reports so far have been either in general or loose lips. Certain elected officials have a bad habit of speaking to the press about information they have received in private economic development meetings. Sometimes these leaks can slow things down.

• 2 months later...

Archived