World Leader etiquette

Snowguy716

I laughed at the video. I think Bush gets a little too comfortable around other world leaders.. especially German ones.

Germans aren't the "slap the butt, kiss a baby" type of people, especially in national politics.. although I do think Angela Merkel is a bit more open and a little more laid back than the previous slab of stone that occupied the seat (Schroeder).

I don't think Bush went too far.. although I've always felt weird when people do that.. I'm personally not a touchy-feely person and I'd probably be just as surprised as Merkel was, although I'd just laugh it off.. which she did.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given what a fool he had already made of himself at the summit (lecturing Putin and getting a good rebuke for it, and swearing with food in his mouth like an asshole in front of that open mic), I was quite surprised when he then turned around and groped Merkel. Just adds to the global impression the United States is being run by a crude cowboy.

Merkel (German Chancellor) really doesn't look too happy about this.

George Bush Gropes the German Chancellor

Based on this response I would say he went way too far with it.

Come on, Bush and Merkel are famously friendly. If I recall correctly, they hit it off pretty well when she visited earlier this year (unlike Schoeder and Bush, who barely talked at all).

Now, about the clip. If someone suddenly started giving me back rub, I'd probably jerk away from them at first as well (you don't know who it could be). However, as the picture below, which you can see in the clip, shows, she either didn't look so unhappy about it or was laughing it off real well:

merkel.1.jpg

I can't say I would have done the same thing, but it's no real bother to me if he wants to do that to a leader he's pretty friendly with (a joke shortly after Angela was elected, I heard, was that she would be in bed with the President--more of a stab at her friendliness to US policies than anything else).

I laughed at the video. I think Bush gets a little too comfortable around other world leaders.. especially German ones.

Germans aren't the "slap the butt, kiss a baby" type of people, especially in national politics.. although I do think Angela Merkel is a bit more open and a little more laid back than the previous slab of stone that occupied the seat (Schroeder).

I don't think Bush went too far.. although I've always felt weird when people do that.. I'm personally not a touchy-feely person and I'd probably be just as surprised as Merkel was, although I'd just laugh it off.. which she did.

Very well put, Snowguy :)

yeah who cares. If there's one positive thing I can say about Bush (holy sh!t did I just say that?!) it's that he's always laidback and "real" when it comes to being in public. I bet he'd be a cool person to hang out with, he seems like a lot of fun. Too bad he's proving to be incompetent as a president.

Some people need to lighten up.

Politicians have a tendency to think too much of themselves. Bush is being himself and not acting like he's some stuck up rich guy.

He's stuck up and rich?

When I think of a good ol' boy, I think of someone who comes from humble beginnings and works hard in life to make an honest living. By that definition, Bush hardly qualifies. He was born and bred with a silver spoon in Connecticut. He summered in Maine. Texas was a place his dad moved the family to to take part in the oil boom. And, he never made a buck of his own on all of his failed oil ventures and the Texas Rangers.

When I think of a good ol' boy, I think of someone who comes from humble beginnings and works hard in life to make an honest living. By that definition, Bush hardly qualifies. He was born and bred with a silver spoon in Connecticut. He summered in Maine. Texas was a place his dad moved the family to to take part in the oil boom. And, he never made a buck of his own on all of his failed oil ventures and the Texas Rangers.

He's a rich "good ol' boy," regardless of how he made his living or where he lived.

Does his mere presence not emit the vision of a "redneck" to you? Rich or not, when I hear him speak and see his mannerisms, he strikes me as a rich redneck. And there is such a thing, by the way... the south is full of them. Take almost any NASCAR driver for example.

He's a rich "good ol' boy," regardless of how he made his living or where he lived.

Does his mere presence not emit the vision of a "redneck" to you? Rich or not, when I hear him speak and see his mannerisms, he strikes me as a rich redneck. And there is such a thing, by the way... the south is full of them. Take almost any NASCAR driver for example.

He isn't a good ole boy, but that's his political schtick. He's a loser who was never able to make a business work and would have been bankrupt several times over if it hadn't been for his rich family. He's taken his business success and forced it on the rest of us; now our budget deficit is horrible.

He isn't a good ole boy, but that's his political schtick. He's a loser who was never able to make a business work and would have been bankrupt several times over if it hadn't been for his rich family. He's taken his business success and forced it on the rest of us; now our budget deficit is horrible.

Fair enough. :)

Archived