Monroe @ Louis

Why is the Traffic signal on Monroe at the Northwest end of Louis operational right now? Louis street is closed for construction of the GRAM and except for pedestrian traffic or traffic calming I can see no reason for that signal to be operational right now. I think I hit that red light every time I am on Monroe no matter what direction I am heading. The red light for nothing.

Any ideas?

Here are a few picture from May 2004 that I have of that intersection. I'm not sure why i took these pictures.

GRMay2004120.jpg

With a car for some variety

GRMay2004119.jpg

GRMay200426.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is the Traffic signal on Monroe at the Northwest end of Lewis operational right now? Lewis street is closed for construction of the GRAM and except for pedestrian traffic or traffic calming I can see no reason for that signal to be operational right now. I think I hit that red light every time I am on Monroe no matter what direction I am heading. The red light for nothing.

"except for pedestrian traffic or traffic calming"

I'm guessing that would have something to do with it. :)

I doubt its killing them to keep them running, since all traffic lights should be LEDs by now. (each traffic light I think uses less energy then a single 60W lightbulb)

You can tell LED traffic lights by their having a very bright, even light and a "true" color. The LED bulbs they use cost like $60 a piece.

Maybe I'm nuts but I have not seen any LED traffic lights before. Can anyone point out the location of some examples?

These lights have been in use for quite a while now. Maybe you have been used to them without noticing? Here are some things to look out for when you see the traffic lights.

LEDs have:

• A degree of clarity or just look clear and easy to see.

• You can point out the LEDs in most traffic lights by their solid color throughout. Usually the incandescent bulbs fade from the center outward where as the LED lights have a continuous brightness. This is because instead of just one bulb (halogen) there are many diodes or LEDs. When you pull up to the stop line and look up, you will even notice the spaces between each LED, this is a telltale sign.

LED example:

trafficlightstcm1833927ks8.jpg

Archived