Professional Sport Team/Arena

rusthebuss

And scm as much as I love to irritate you because you loathe me so, I am reading those papers published by Dennis Coates (still at UMBC) and Brad Humphreys (now at Illinois). I wish they put more statistics and an in-depth explanation of their methodology rather than a summary of results, speculation as the reasons behind the results, and brief overview of the methods. I also found that my local library has Andrew Zimbalist's book as well as a pro-stadia book by Rick Horrow (can you imagine). There are a couple others at the library but unfortunately not the one by Kevin Delaney. Finally, despite the Cato Institute referencing these researchers/professors, I refuse to listen to what they say because they are politically motivated and will spin the researchers' results for their own interests.

What is the Cato Institute's political backing? Its hard to read anything anymore and get facts because it's always politically motivated.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the Cato Institute's political backing? Its hard to read anything anymore and get facts because it's always politically motivated.

They're libertarian. They say so in their mission statement. They believe in limited government. In their perfect world, the Department of Education and HUD among others would be eliminated since they don't fit the libertarian philosophy. Funding for public institutions such as libraries and museums would also go. In their view, private enterprise can do the job much more efficiently than the public sector. As such, if sports is so lucrative then the owners should pay for their own stadia. I agree with that when it comes to baseball or football stadiums as they few have uses beyond that team's sporting events. However, arenas are like concert halls, convention centers, and other civic buildings in that they have uses outside of sports. But, in Cato's view, if it doesn't make money, then no taxes should be used.

They're libertarian. They say so in their mission statement. They believe in limited government. In their perfect world, the Department of Education and HUD among others would be eliminated since they don't fit the libertarian philosophy. Funding for public institutions such as libraries and museums would also go. In their view, private enterprise can do the job much more efficiently than the public sector. As such, if sports is so lucrative then the owners should pay for their own stadia. I agree with that when it comes to baseball or football stadiums as they few have uses beyond that team's sporting events. However, arenas are like concert halls, convention centers, and other civic buildings in that they have uses outside of sports. But, in Cato's view, if it doesn't make money, then no taxes should be used.

Thinks for the info. I'm at work and don't have the time to do the research right now. I guess when I get home I shall do some research on their philosphy.

Archived