Leipzig Germany

Mobuchu

So I was fortunate enough to spend about 8 days in Germany for my vacation. It was my Oma and Opa's 50th Anniversary so my family and I went over to celebrate with them. They live in Leipzig so that is where I spent most of my time, although we made some day trips to Berlin, Dresden and to a small castle not far from Leipzig.

Let me first say that Germany is beautiful!!! The arcitecture, the cities, the countryside, the history, etc, all of it. From an urban perspective you always hear of NY, Chicago, London, Paris, and all the Asian cities. But some of these smaller European cities have great mass transit, shopping, streetscapes, and great urban living. The streetcar system in Leipzig is probably more extensive then most bus systems in midsized cities in the US. I was also amazed at how many people use bicycles. Dedicated bike lanes for just about every major street as well as their own signals, and actual bike parking lots since they get such great use. Also didn't see one single friggin SUV the entire time I was there, blew my mind (then I walked out of Charlotte Douglas airport when I came back........sigh :( )

I will probably make a thread for Berlin and Dresden, but here are a couple pics of Leipzig. For more, check out my Pbase site at the bottom of my post.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Most of the city center or "old city" is closed to cars and is filled with shopping, cafe's, bars, and restaurants.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

I was lucky enough to watch the World Cup final Germany style...

The first half we watched at a Cafe', the streets were lined with flat panel TV's outside every bar and restaurant for everyone to watch.

large.jpg

The second half we watched with thousands of others in this square with a huge jumbotron.

large.jpg

And a quick pic of Rudelsburg Castle, not far from Leipzig.

large.jpg

Anyway, I would certainly recommend Germany for anyone looking to make a trip to Europe. Its really opened my eyes, and has made me want to travel more to other countries (dying to see Prague, coudn't make it this trip).

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Truly, I wish more Americans traveled, they might finally wake up...

Oh, by the way... I see, you live in Charlotte/NC!

if you like german TV in englisch and german language, The "TAGESTHEMEN"

they braodcasting out of South Carolina almost every night at 11:30 PM or 12:30 midnight

around that time german news called "Tagesthemen"

but, in Charlotte/NC you cannot pick it up, ...to far from SC

but around gastonia on I 85 there is on Exit 9 or 6 or so a little "mom & Paps" Truckstop, I'll think it is a TEXACO with a "American dinner" Restaurant, and there I was able to pick that up and watched German news in german language, when I was in that area !

but you have to go on I 85 "up the hill" in order to pick that up and close to south carolina border line.

I'll think, it was channel 29 and i was able to pick it up with my regular TV antenne in the truck.

The name of that channel should be "South carolina education TV" or similar

In spartanburg is the BMW Plant, and they have german TV in South Carolina

Grettings

Oh, by the way... I see, you live in Charlotte/NC!

if you like german TV in englisch and german language, The "TAGESTHEMEN"

they braodcasting out of South Carolina almost every night at 11:30 PM or 12:30 midnight

around that time german news called "Tagesthemen"

Hmmmm, not sure Iv'e heard this. I dont speak German, although some in my family (who were born there) do. We do have a German channel on digital cable, but I dont order it.

Leipzig city center was probably one of my favorite parts of the trip. Its a great city filled with shopping, vendors, pubs, and lots of great eateries. Cant wait to go back...

Hmmmm, not sure Iv'e heard this. I dont speak German, although some in my family (who were born there) do. We do have a German channel on digital cable, but I dont order it.

They're broadcasting that "Tagesthemen" in 2 languages (English and German).

The german digital cable channel is a pay channel I believe.

well, It was 2002 and 2003 when I was last Time in that area ( NC & SC Carolinas) and things may have changed, but 4 years ago, you were able to pick it up!

Leipzig city center was probably one of my favorite parts of the trip. Its a great city filled with shopping, vendors, pubs, and lots of great eateries. Cant wait to go back...

Leipzig is beautiful though!

First time I was there in 1985 to the "Messe" (Tradeshow).

They have the Tradeshows twice a year.

When ever I was there, I'd like to hang out in the "Esplanade" Nachtbar (Nightclub).

I don't know, if that Nachtbar still exists?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Great pics of Leipzig. I have been throught he city several times on the train and had to make a couple of connections there from time to time. I never got to explore it during the day on foot, so your pics were a real treat. Thanks for providing the link to this thread in your Berlin thread.

Saxony is a beautiful region, but I have to say the local accent was nearly impossible for me to understand. I always heard Bavarians had the hardest accent for non-native speakers to follow, but I have to say folks down in Saxony have them beat (at least for me). However with that said, I usually had the best conversations with the folks in the eastern regions of the country, such as Berlin, Rostock, and Frankfurt-am-Oder.

Archived