Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mobuchu

Berlin

14 posts in this topic

I only had 1 day to see as much of Berlin as possible so we took the bus and subway to most locations and only stayed for a couple min. But here are some shots I got along the way, feel free to add if anyone else has some pics.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

AMAZING!!!! I am visiting Northern Europe next year after I graduate from High School! YAY!!! Ive got relatives in Germany so Ill be able to stay there!

Yep:

Picture 1 = Brandenburger Tor (once devided West berlin and East Berlin)

and the place where Jf Kennedy sagte: "Ich bin ein Berliner".

Pic 2= Die ged

Pics 3, 4, and 5 are of the Reichstag. I think you said the last time you were in Germany was in the 80's? This is the new section of the Reichstag. They kept the shell of the building original and built this beautiful modern dome at the top with a double helix walkway to the top for views. The entire interior of the Reichstag building is brand new. Someone more informed may be able to elaborate on this.

Pics 6 and 7 are of the Holocaust memorial, not far from Brandenburg Gate.

Pics 8, 9, 10....Yes, these were taken from the top fo the TV tower. We did not go to the restaurant, not enough time unfortunetly. (I dont think this rotates, it didn't while we were up there)

Pic 11, I forget the name, new modern buildings - sony center.

Again, we only had 1 day to see as much of Berlin as possible, I would loved to have seen more. Even after using the bus and subway as much as we could my feet were killing me by the end of the day...

These are only some of the pics I took of Berlin, to see more, click on the link at the bottom of my post - "Mo's photos" There are more of the other cities as well.

Pics 3, 4, and 5 are of the Reichstag. I think you said the last time you were in Germany was in the 80's? This is the new section of the Reichstag. They kept the shell of the building original and built this beautiful modern dome at the top with a double helix walkway to the top for views. The entire interior of the Reichstag building is brand new. Someone more informed may be able to elaborate on this.

well, that Reichstag must have changed a lot!

I have these Pictures in memory:

reichstag04.jpg

but I have seen now in the Internet the new Glass Building (Pictures)

Pics 6 and 7 are of the Holocaust memorial, not far from Brandenburg Gate.

That is a memorial?

It looks more like that somebody had disposed some big unwanted stones somewhere.

I do not see the "sense" for that stones in making a memorial.

It looks more like a big huge Labyrinth.

That Labyrinth wasn't cheap I'll bet!

a couple million DM at least.

No wonder, the german Government has no money, when they spend and waste more than they should be.

They should rather jumpstart the own economy and do something against the high unemployment Rate.

Bloedm

well, that Reichstag must have changed a lot!

I have these Pictures in memory:

but I have seen now in the Internet the new Glass Building (Pictures)

Yes, that is the Reichstag. The dome is at the top center of that building, actually you can just barely see a small piece of it in your picture. I have pics of the outside as well, check my website.

That is a memorial?

It looks more like that somebody had disposed some big unwanted stones somewhere.

I do not see the "sense" for that stones in making a memorial.

It looks more like a big huge Labyrinth.

That Labyrinth wasn't cheap I'll bet!

a couple million DM at least.

No wonder, the german Government has no money, when they spend and waste more than they should be.

They should rather jumpstart the own economy and do something against the high unemployment Rate.

Bloedm

Yes, that is the Reichstag. The dome is at the top center of that building, actually you can just barely see a small piece of it in your picture. I have pics of the outside as well, check my website.

ja, I'll think I will see it in person, as soon as I come back to Germany!

Maybe you should read up on this some more, I dont think anyone would think this was a waste of money and the stones have some significance. It is a very creative and original memorial, and there is an underground section as well. I did not have time to go underground though.

I didn't know, that there is a underground section as well.

I can only imagine, how much "steuergelder" (taxpayers money) that memorial had cost.

1-2 Million DM I'll figure,...easy

that money could had spend more wisely, because there is also poverty in Germany and Europe, and the politicians had a built a memorial.... the poor could see that as a arrogant way to say:

we're the politics just dont care about the needs of the common and the poor people

believe me, that memorial does not serve any humanitarian purpose nor feed the hungry

In my opinion, it is not good for the young generations to memorize old stuff, it can only trigger hate, which we do not need in that world.

a simple memorial (1 stone) for a couple thousand DM could serve the same purpose.

Berlin is an incredible city. Thanks for posting Mo. I was there in 2004 for a week and then again last summer for a couple of nights. Incredible architecture, good food, friendly people. We went to the Holocaust Memorial as well. Designed by Peter Eisenmann, it consists of 2,711 concrete slabs through which visitors can wander. The uneven ground and the varying heights of the slabs are designed to create the sense of insecurity, but not overwhelming loss. Regardless of how deep you are in the memorial, you can always see light at the end of the road.

The dome and rebuilding of the Riechstag were designed by Sir Norman Foster of Britain. He won an international competition and it opened to the public in 2002. It is an amazing structure.

Great pictures of Berlin, I'd love to see more.

some amazing shots, thanks for posting them.

Did a great job of getting a lot of great pics and seeing a lot of great things in Berlin all in one day. Hope you get a chance in the future to spend more time in the city and truly get to see and enjoy all it has too offer.

Yeah, one day certainly wasn't enough, but I'm hoping to get back there some time soon.

I have a thread on Leipzig here as well that got lost in the shuffle and is a couple pages back if anyone is interested.