N.O. not sinking nearly as much as first thought...

TSmith

While the New Orleans area is sinking, the results of a study released today says that it is not nearly as bad as many think. "Tornqvist's study, which he presented Sunday at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in St. Louis, shows subsidence rates of only about 0.6 millimeters per year."

That's 0.6mm per year, not as much as an inch per year... the number usually circulated by the media.

Also, the study maintains that most of the sinking can be attributed to the first 20 feet of the top soil layer, and not the base.

Here's a link to a quick summary of the study...http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...20/ai_n16159643

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is absolutely fantastic news. I've heard tha national media report that New Orleans is sinking "multiple inches" per year, which is just so untrue and overly dramatic that it's extremely silly.

I know the media is as much our foe as it is friend. Just report the truth and stop exaggerating the reality of what is happening here. For example, on CNN the whole issue with evacuating Americans and of course they have to find a New Orleanian so they can say this person has had to evacuate twice in the last year. I mean anything to make the story juicier and they will do it.

This is extremely good & important news!!

By the way .6 milimeters per year = ~.0235 inches per year

New Orleans will be around much longer than it would have been if the "inches per year" were true, but now, fortunately we know that that was a huge exageration!

fortunately we know that that was a huge exageration!

Yep, and that is the case with many things that the national media reports. The other day I heard CNN report that New Orleans now has a population of around 150,000. :rolleyes: Interesting, considering 7 months ago our population was 180,000, and we are now nearing 250,000. Whatever get's the viewers...

This is extremely good & important news!!

By the way .6 milimeters per year = ~.0235 inches per year

New Orleans will be around much longer than it would have been if the "inches per year" were true, but now, fortunately we know that that was a huge exageration!

That number really puts it into perspective.

Great news!

Archived