Living Dowtons? How far would you walk to work?

ghostOFtheSuwanee

Sorry....Downtown, not Dowtons....it's been a long week and I was educated in religious schools.

With all the new construction going on downtown, I was wondering how it's going to impact traffic. If you lived downtown and worked downtown, how far would you walk to work? Let's say you are living in that "skyscraper" at where the library used to be on Monroe Street and you worked in the Capitol. Would you walk or drive? What if you worked at the Turlington Building (Just Read). Would you walk there? Would you walk to the Civic Center? Is the backfilling of the downtown going to increase or decrease traffic?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living downtown, my distance to walk is different in the summer as it is in the early spring, winter or fall. Those living in the new Tennyson (where the library use to be) would be foolish to drive to the Capitol. It would take way longer to walk than it would to drive. The same is true for the Turlington. It also depends on what you must wear to work. A suit and tie would lessen the distance for me. But as a general rule: I'd walk up to ten blks in the summer and 15 blks the rest of the year.

Then of course there are those folks that will drive from their garage to the end of the driveway to pick up there paper. :D

I'd think that those living downtown will slightly increase downtown's traffic especially in off peak hours b/c we have to travel out for goods and services since there are not many available in our area.

Living downtown, my distance to walk is different in the summer as it is in the early spring, winter or fall. Those living in the new Tennyson (where the library use to be) would be foolish to drive to the Capitol. It would take way longer to walk than it would to drive. The same is true for the Turlington. It also depends on what you must wear to work. A suit and tie would lessen the distance for me. But as a general rule: I'd walk up to ten blks in the summer and 15 blks the rest of the year.

Then of course there are those folks that will drive from their garage to the end of the driveway to pick up there paper. :D

I'd think that those living downtown will slightly increase downtown's traffic especially in off peak hours b/c we have to travel out for goods and services since there are not many available in our area.

Yesterday afternoon I walked from the Capitol to Kool Beanz. It seems that the traffic lights on Monroe were timed exactly to my walking speed. Every traffic light I got to turned red just before I arrived.

The next time I do that walk, I'm going to wear a tin foil hat. They are obviously out to get me. (Cue up creepy music and out)

Truly they should bring the Downtown Trolley back as a response to this exact type of conversation.

NewStar, any chance we can get it back for the new residents downtown? I think it ran a perfect route for persons living in the downtown area. And if I were a professional I'd be thrilled to ride it.

I live Downtown as well and will walk to the Market on Saturday mornings, coffee at Cool Grindz (if I can catch it when its open :P ), Po Boy's, any event or parade happening downtown as well. However, as poonther mentioned, I have to drive to get most of my goods and services. A small scale Pubix downtown would be a dream come true for me. Although the Governor's Crossing Publix is a mini-dream for me since it's on my to and from work!

I like TJ's trolley idea. Seems like a nice fit for our downtown area.

I live Downtown as well and will walk to the Market on Saturday mornings, coffee at Cool Grindz (if I can catch it when its open :P ), Po Boy's, any event or parade happening downtown as well. However, as poonther mentioned, I have to drive to get most of my goods and services. A small scale Pubix downtown would be a dream come true for me. Although the Governor's Crossing Publix is a mini-dream for me since it's on my to and from work!

I like TJ's trolley idea. Seems like a nice fit for our downtown area.

The Trolley makes sense now. Alot more than it did 5-6 years ago when it ran a route between the State office complex, and the Governor's Mansion. I wish NewStar could respond to the concern we have here. What needs to be done to get the trolley running downtown again?

I walk from Alumni Village to innovation park for work, so walking around downtown isn't too bad. I walk from the bus station to my bank (which has an office down town), the courthouse, and city hall (I wish they still had the utilities down there). Of course I can't drive, so I have no choice. :)

A year ago (+/-) I got called for county jury duty. The letter indicated that the only free place to park was a county owned lot on the west sided of the Library. It was a 7 block walk, uphill, to the Courthouse from the lot. The thought of it was not appealing, but as luck would have, the weather was pretty good that day, so I parked in the assigned lot and made the hike. I thought it would give a brief feel of city living. It was pretty cool - discovered many new, inconsequencial, cool things. Doing it every day? probably not.

As a side note, if you have never been called for jury duty, you show up Monday morning with 100+ other prospective jurors and then juries are seated for trials that will take place that week. Of the multitudes that called for jury duty with me, mine was the ONLY car in the lot.

I can remember walking from Smith Hall to the Civic Center, back in my college days. I actually enjoyed it -now of course I had to stop by the ole video arcades (bowling alley) to get my game on!!

If I'm ever fortunate enough to get a place in the "new downtown" Tallahassee, I wouldn't have any problem walking from Monroe/Gadsden Streets to the Civic Center or the New Performing Arts Center. I absolutely love busy downtowns with lots of pedestrian traffic.

JBarber brings up a very good point. You learn a lot about your surroundings, area that you live in just by taking the time to walk around. Driving through Tally's downtown is a wholly different experience than just taking the time to walk around admiring the quaintness, quiet Southern charm, etc...I would like to see downtown eventually have more retail, dining, cafes, etc...so that you have some stops to make on your downtown journey, but I feel thats coming on our horizon. We deserve it :)

I don't live downtown but I do walk to work, which is a bit over 1/2 mile from home (from the corner of Virginia /Dewey to the corner of Woodward/Park). That's about my limit of how far I'd walk, and the summertime is a good indicator of stamina. Right now, 1/2 mile of walking is my comfort, but of course in cooler months I'd walk further. In this weather I have a limit of how much I can sweat before it becomes yucky!

I do like to walk though. I've walked from my house to Governor's Square, and I live across the street from FSU!

If I lived in the Tennyson or in one of those condos in Kleiman, I'd walk to Frenchtown for work (If the County ever moves into the Renissance Building :P) in a heartbeat. At 3 bucks a gallon, plus dealing with downtown traffic, I could stand a 10 minute walk.

Would having a shower available at your workplace make it easier for you to walk/bike to work?

Actually there is a shower at my work. It is in the ladies bathroom. I don't use it because it is out in the open. You'll have to bring you clothes in with you to not be seen. Also, I have never seen anyone else use the shower.

Actually there is a shower at my work. It is in the ladies bathroom. I don't use it because it is out in the open. You'll have to bring you clothes in with you to not be seen. Also, I have never seen anyone else use the shower.

I'd like to know which brilliant architect planned that. I wonder if he/she mostly works on prisons or jails or high school locker rooms? Either way, I don't want them planning a building for me.

I'd like to know which brilliant architect planned that. I wonder if he/she mostly works on prisons or jails or high school locker rooms? Either way, I don't want them planning a building for me.

The whole building is screwy. I still get lost in it after working here for five years and it really isn't all that big.

Archived