I-49 North from Shreveport

bigboyz05

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here man, same here! :D

And then eventually we'll see I-49 South, the project extending I-49 from Lafayette to New Orleans finished, and that will be even better, for me at least.

I don't have any new updats on the progress of I-49 North, but I'm sure Brian will be able to fill you in. :thumbsup:

To be honest, I don't know much right now. Since Katrina, I haven't heard much about it. I did notice a little more land being cleared along Hwy 71 last weekend, but I don't know if that's what it was for or not.

I'm ready for it as well. But yes, as Nate said, we have to get this stretch finished as well as the stretch from Lafayette to New Orleans.

To be honest, I don't know much right now. Since Katrina, I haven't heard much about it. I did notice a little more land being cleared along Hwy 71 last weekend, but I don't know if that's what it was for or not.

I'm ready for it as well. But yes, as Nate said, we have to get this stretch finished as well as the stretch from Lafayette to New Orleans.

I remember reading shortly after Katrina that the funds that were guaranteed for the I-49 extension would not be diverted to any other use - even disaster relief. To me that says they're still considering it high-priority for the state.

Was is confirmed that they were going to have I-49 curve west of the city? Last I read, they were going to upgrade (and rename) the 3132 loop and extend north from its I-20 terminus. Then the existing spur of I-49 that goes into the central city would be renamed I-149.

I remember reading shortly after Katrina that the funds that were guaranteed for the I-49 extension would not be diverted to any other use - even disaster relief. To me that says they're still considering it high-priority for the state.

Was is confirmed that they were going to have I-49 curve west of the city? Last I read, they were going to upgrade (and rename) the 3132 loop and extend north from its I-20 terminus. Then the existing spur of I-49 that goes into the central city would be renamed I-149.

They never did confirm, but ever since they considered the loop possibility, they have been back in the news saying they'd like to work on getting it built through the city. I seem to recall either a black preacher or politician saying he'd like to see it built through the city but that he needed to inform the black people that it would be a positive thing rather than a negative. The extremely poor black community through central Shreveport is obviously concerned that the government is out to make them homeless when, in fact, that's not the case.

They never did confirm, but ever since they considered the loop possibility, they have been back in the news saying they'd like to work on getting it built through the city. I seem to recall either a black preacher or politician saying he'd like to see it built through the city but that he needed to inform the black people that it would be a positive thing rather than a negative. The extremely poor black community through central Shreveport is obviously concerned that the government is out to make them homeless when, in fact, that's not the case.

I hope they can convince constituents to agree to the central city route. It it would be so great for the city! Meanwhile, aren't they clearing out land near the Arkansas border?

I hope they can convince constituents to agree to the central city route. It it would be so great for the city! Meanwhile, aren't they clearing out land near the Arkansas border?

Last I heard they were. The thing is, the clearing they were doing isn't visible from Hwy 71... so it's really hard to tell what they've done.

I just wish they'd get on the ball. Arkansas is light years ahead of us on I-49.

Last I heard they were. The thing is, the clearing they were doing isn't visible from Hwy 71... so it's really hard to tell what they've done.

I just wish they'd get on the ball. Arkansas is light years ahead of us on I-49.

Don't be so sure. I don't think the Arkansas part of I-49 will get built for 2-3 decades. It's expensive and the terrain's mountainous through Western AR. The Ft Smith bridge alone will likely cost $100 million.

Don't be so sure. I don't think the Arkansas part of I-49 will get built for 2-3 decades. It's expensive and the terrain's mountainous through Western AR. The Ft Smith bridge alone will likely cost $100 million.

I was actually focusing more on the Texarkana-Arkansas state line stretch. That stretch in particular is most important to me, because of the frequency of my trips from Shreveport to Texarkana. They're light years ahead of us on that stretch, as it's mostly complete. I can drive from Shreveport to just about 5 miles north of the state line and get on the future I-49 corridor, put the pedal down to 90, and be in Texarkana in no time flat it seems.

I've read about the terrain issues in northern Arkansas, for instance the cost of building the tunnel up that way. I am thankful Louisiana at least has the Shreveport-Lafayette stretch completed, though, as I use I-49 south from I-20 to 3132 intracity stretch every single day and it's so nice.

I was actually focusing more on the Texarkana-Arkansas state line stretch. That stretch in particular is most important to me, because of the frequency of my trips from Shreveport to Texarkana. They're light years ahead of us on that stretch, as it's mostly complete. I can drive from Shreveport to just about 5 miles north of the state line and get on the future I-49 corridor, put the pedal down to 90, and be in Texarkana in no time flat it seems.

I've read about the terrain issues in northern Arkansas, for instance the cost of building the tunnel up that way. I am thankful Louisiana at least has the Shreveport-Lafayette stretch completed, though, as I use I-49 south from I-20 to 3132 intracity stretch every single day and it's so nice.

That stretch from Texarkana to the Louisiana state line is so convenient. It knocks some time off the trip. I did hear that construction of I-49 from Loop 245 to the new I-30 interchange may start this year. When I-49 North from Shreveport is completed it will make commuting into Shreveport so much easier.

• 2 months later...

This article is from a yesterday, but I thought I'd post it here in case someone missed it. Any movement on the I-49 extenstion north of Shreveport is good news, no matter how small.

Louisiana gets a move on Interstate 49 north

That's my thought: ANY news is good news!

Did you see the map with the article, though? They'e still showing the inner-city stretch looping around the city via the existing 3132 and 220 freeways. Insane!! I CERTAINLY hope this gets changed... I truly believe the north Shreveport and Agurs areas stand to benefit greatly from a true north-south inner-city freeway. Not to mention North Market's rush hour traffic congestion would definitely be reduced by this.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, check this out. Apparently the state is projecting a $250+ million surplus and the state treasurer wants to give $100 million of it to the I-49 North and South projects. This story from KTBS says by the state making this payment we could draw another $400 million from the federal government! Wouldn't this be awesome it they could give this money to the I-49 project? I-49 North to I-30, hopefully it's not just a dream! It would mean so much to our city. It would get the Shreveport/Bossier/Texarkana MSA that Brian and bigboyz are talking about on track! Here is the link.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/4629641.html

Hey guys, check this out. Apparently the state is projecting a $250+ million surplus and the state treasurer wants to give $100 million of it to the I-49 North and South projects. This story from KTBS says by the state making this payment we could draw another $400 million from the federal government! Wouldn't this be awesome it they could give this money to the I-49 project? I-49 North to I-30, hopefully it's not just a dream! It would mean so much to our city. It would get the Shreveport/Bossier/Texarkana MSA that Brian and bigboyz are talking about on track! Here is the link.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/4629641.html

This could be excellent news, IF they'll allocate the money. If so, this would complete the road once and for all and eliminate the need to use the Hwy 71 & Hwy 1 links between Texarkana and Shreveport.

Could this spur development between Texarkana and Shreveport? Sure. North Shreveport has always been the area of the city that hasn't grown as fast as others, and south Texarkana is the same way. Shreveport is working on initiatives to get more businesses into north Shreveport and Texarkana is doing the same for the south side of their city. It could be 100 years before we saw a joint MSA, but the shortened drive time between the two cities will definitely be a positive factor. When I commuted from Texarkana to Shreveport every day, there were a few other people who did the same.

I'd also like to see another $30 million of that allocated for the Jimmie Davis Bridge... but I know that's a pipe dream.

No, I was just joking about that MSA thing. I know there is virtually nothing between Shreveport and Texarkana. As far as $30 million for Jimmy Davis Bridge, you're right a pipe dream. I could not imagine our state spending that much money on North Louisiana at once. Normally it takes many, many years to get this much money for our area! For example, how long have we been wanting the I-49 North project completed?

You know, if Shreveport were Dalls, Texarkana would just be on the northern end of our "metroplex" and we'd have nearly touched them by now. Dallas's growth is phenomenal; that's the kind of economic prosperity most metro areas only wish they could achieve.

Yeah, Jimmie Davis and I-49 together... ain't gonna happen. If the bulk of the state's population was between Shreveport and Monroe along I-20 rather than along I-10, it would probably happen. But we just can't look forward to that and I hate it.

I live in South Bossier and JD bridge has always been tough to deal with-16 years ago it was bad and is worse now than ever with all the new subdivisions down this way. But truly I think that I-49 should be completed before the state tackles JD. There has been a slight improvement (a center turn lane) made since I moved down here. I'm sure that down the road (no pun intended) they will have to do something. I thought about suggesting making it flow its 2 lanes into Shreveport in the morning and into Bossier from Shreveport in afternoon rush. This is what happens to the Golden Gate Bridge in SF, to bring the commuters from Marin County into SF and take them back home. But I don't know if anyone would be interested in doing that here. It would be inconvenient for some.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove on the part that is finished just yesterday for the first time (from state line to Texarkana). I've been that route MANY times in my life, and it was MUCH faster!!!

I'm not really sure I understand why people want a route from Lafayette to New Orleans. What about I-10? Isn't that the same route?

I drove on the part that is finished just yesterday for the first time (from state line to Texarkana). I've been that route MANY times in my life, and it was MUCH faster!!!

I'm not really sure I understand why people want a route from Lafayette to New Orleans. What about I-10? Isn't that the same route?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived