I-49 North from Shreveport

bigboyz05

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's up with this crap? The use of the state surplus to fund projects (I-49 should be included) has been blocked by Don Hines, D-Bunkie. Apparently he is mad that the state would not fund a private sugarcane syrup mill in his hometown that his family would have financially benefitted from. If I remember correctly, his son-in-law owns a sugarcane farm that this mill would be buying sugarcane from, so Hines was pushing for the state to back this mill. Now because the state would not do so he is blocking the use of the surplus. What a jerk. We can see who's interest he has at heart. A unanimous vote is needed to use the surplus and this moron was the only opposition vote.

Hines blocks use of surplus

What's up with this crap? The use of the state surplus to fund projects (I-49 should be included) has been blocked by Don Hines, D-Bunkie. Apparently he is mad that the state would not fund a private sugarcane syrup mill in his hometown that his family would have financially benefitted from. If I remember correctly, his son-in-law owns a sugarcane farm that this mill would be buying sugarcane from, so Hines was pushing for the state to back this mill. Now because the state would not do so he is blocking the use of the surplus. What a jerk. We can see who's interest he has at heart. A unanimous vote is needed to use the surplus and this moron was the only opposition vote.

Hines blocks use of surplus

• 4 weeks later...

This article from today's Times mentions several highway construction projects in SBC. Near the bottom of the article, a small progress report on I-49:

"Another major project, prep work for Interstate 49 in north Caddo Parish, will go on in the woods away from the view of drivers on state Highway 2 near Hosston.

The I-49 work represents more than half of the $225 million earmarked for projects in a seven-parish area of northwest Louisiana for the budget year that begins July 1.

"There's a lot going on (with I-49), but you can't see it from the highway," Goza said. "We have two projects for it going on right now from the Arkansas line to Mira-Myrtis Road."

Exciting stuff!! Read the article -> Construction-related traffic headaches to continue in 2007

This article from today's Times mentions several highway construction projects in SBC. Near the bottom of the article, a small progress report on I-49:

"Another major project, prep work for Interstate 49 in north Caddo Parish, will go on in the woods away from the view of drivers on state Highway 2 near Hosston.

The I-49 work represents more than half of the $225 million earmarked for projects in a seven-parish area of northwest Louisiana for the budget year that begins July 1.

"There's a lot going on (with I-49), but you can't see it from the highway," Goza said. "We have two projects for it going on right now from the Arkansas line to Mira-Myrtis Road."

Exciting stuff!! Read the article -> Construction-related traffic headaches to continue in 2007

• 3 weeks later...

A recent article in The Forum Newsweekly mentioned that Rep. Roy Burrell is trying once again to revive Shreveport's inner-city connector (ICIC) to keep I-49 going through the inner-city like it SHOULD.

In the article, Burrell is quoted as saying, "Through extensive research on interstate projects in other cities, I have discovered new ways they build interstate systems now. They're building more accessible, more artistic parkways that can be more of a reflection of the community. If the I-49 connector is built correctly, it could facilitate economic development, boost growth opportunities, create jobs for inner-city residents, allow traffic efficient access in and out of downtown Shreveport - adding to the overall ambiance of the city."

Once I-49 is completed to Kansas City, it will fork off to become I-29 going to Winnipeg, and I-35 going to Duluth, MN. This gives Shreveport-Bossier easy access to more major U.S. cities like Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines, and Minneapolis, as well as points in Canada. In addition to I-49, I-69 will provide a direct route to both Canada and Mexico through Shreveport, finally linking Shreveport to Houston seamlessly, as well as adding links to Memphis and Indianapolis.

A recent article in The Forum Newsweekly mentioned that Rep. Roy Burrell is trying once again to revive Shreveport's inner-city connector (ICIC) to keep I-49 going through the inner-city like it SHOULD.

In the article, Burrell is quoted as saying, "Through extensive research on interstate projects in other cities, I have discovered new ways they build interstate systems now. They're building more accessible, more artistic parkways that can be more of a reflection of the community. If the I-49 connector is built correctly, it could facilitate economic development, boost growth opportunities, create jobs for inner-city residents, allow traffic efficient access in and out of downtown Shreveport - adding to the overall ambiance of the city."

Once I-49 is completed to Kansas City, it will fork off to become I-29 going to Winnipeg, and I-35 going to Duluth, MN. This gives Shreveport-Bossier easy access to more major U.S. cities like Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines, and Minneapolis, as well as points in Canada. In addition to I-49, I-69 will provide a direct route to both Canada and Mexico through Shreveport, finally linking Shreveport to Houston seamlessly, as well as adding links to Memphis and Indianapolis.

That's kind of the way I feel about it as well, man...

Luckily we are finally picking up speed on I-49, and I truly feel that if Jindal becomes our next governor, he'll get that road completed. He also knows the importance of I-69, so hopefully he'll find a way to make that work as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

From today's Times:

Shreveport-Bosser City Seeks I-49 Funding

"...The $562 million project is $244 million short. Glover, a former state representative, has his eye on the $857 million surplus from the 2005-06 fiscal year to spend. The funding "needs to happen now," he said."...

Glover's really pushing hard for this. He has the right priorities.

Don't hold your breath. They want to build another lake somewhere instead of something that will actually benifit the state or the local area. I mean geez a mens group in Baton Rouge called the "Circle Purple Club" asked for and recieved 50 grand because thier membership was down and needed the funds to stay operational. Gotta love this state's priorities.

Yeah it's plain stupid to see all the "pork" projects all over the state by the legislatures, too long to even list <_< From Crowley and Bunkie, to Natcitoches, Bogalusa and BR and all points in between.

It's also crazy to see how much $prices continue to get "jacked-up" with steel and concrete since the hurricanes and the gluttony of rapidly developing China....way higher than the rate of inflation. This probably would have been enough $ 5 or 10 years ago for this project? There is currently a $14 billion back-log on the roads in Louisiana. It doesn't look like they will ever catch-up in our lifetimes.

State priorities. :rolleyes:

Finish stretch of I-49!!!!

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/7895957.html

Like Mayor Glover said, " now it's intra-state 49, make it Interstate 49"!

Some of the many economic impacts to make Shreveport a transportation hub:

Kansas City Southern Railway is building an $80 million renovation of its rail yard in the city; Shreveport

Finish stretch of I-49!!!!

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/7895957.html

Like Mayor Glover said, " now it's intra-state 49, make it Interstate 49"!

Some of the many economic impacts to make Shreveport a transportation hub:

Kansas City Southern Railway is building an $80 million renovation of its rail yard in the city; Shreveport

:lol: Well that name might piss off the Korean War veterans, as the inner-city portion of I-49 right now is dubbed "Louisiana Korean War Veterans Freeway"... but maybe it's a way to get something done.

Anyway Glover is a former lawmaker so he's a great voice to have running the city. He's a very bright man and he knows how politics work. He's seen the good, the bad, and the ugly and he knows what it takes to get through it all. I have no doubt that his voice is the voice we need to get this freeway completed.

Archived