Columbia has landed a movie!

krazeeboi

How cool is this? The S.C. Film Commission announced Friday the movie "Death Sentence," starring Kevin Bacon, will be filmed in Columbia and surrounding areas. Production will begin in late summer or early fall. Columbia has landed the role of Boston in the film.

"Death Sentence" is based on a novel by Brian Garfield. Bacon will play John Hume, a father who becomes fed up with the judicial system and seeks revenge against a punk gang that killed his son. The book's plot was set in Boston.

The movie will be directed by James Wan, who also did "Saw," and will be produced by Hyde Park Entertainment and Baldwin Entertainment Group.

And there's a bonus: The production company Hyde Park Entertainment will film a second, unnamed movie in South Carolina.

Wow. :shades:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's awesome. I've always like Kevin Bacon. I don't know how Columbia is supposed to stand in for Boston, the extras will have to wear Red Sox gear instead of Gamecock gear. :D I remember when "A Time to Kill" was shot in Canton, Ms, and we used to see Sandra Bulluck and Matt McConaughey about town. Fun times.

It seems to me that Cola will be a stand in for Boston, just like Toronto is used as a stand-in for NYC sometimes. I'm new to Columbia, have other films been shot here? BTW, I can't imagine the logistical nightmare of filming in Boston, esp. with new tunnel problems they're unfortunatly having right now. The traffic there is insane in the best of times.

Check out the list of movies that have been filmed in SC:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/15097397.htm

It seems to me that Cola will be a stand in for Boston, just like Toronto is used as a stand-in for NYC sometimes. I'm new to Columbia, have other films been shot here? BTW, I can't imagine the logistical nightmare of filming in Boston, esp. with new tunnel problems they're unfortunatly having right now. The traffic there is insane in the best of times.

The difference is that Toronto and NYC have much more in common than Boston and Columbia. Central Boston has much higher densities than Cola.

I'm not sure how they're going to work that out either, but they will somehow. Other parts will also be filmed around the state.

The Post and Courier reports that the same entertainment company will be shooting another film right up here in good 'ol Rock Hill. This area isn't a stranger to movie filming/production either; "Carrie: The Rage" was shot on Winthrop's campus and "The Patriot" was shot in rural parts of York County.

Boston and Columbia are very different.....the people, the trees, the animals/insects, the houses, the traffic, the culture, the diversity, the style, the food, the climate, the festivals, the shopping, the accents, the attitudes.......i wonder what made them choose columbia.......probably was cheap to shoot in cola!

I'm not sure how they're going to work that out either, but they will somehow. Other parts will also be filmed around the state.

The Post and Courier reports that the same entertainment company will be shooting another film right up here in good 'ol Rock Hill. This area isn't a stranger to movie filming/production either; "Carrie: The Rage" was shot on Winthrop's campus and "The Patriot" was shot in rural parts of York County.

lots of red brick and warehouse architecture in both places

When it comes to shooting a film, the only thing that really matters is the physical environment, not all that other stuff. That's why they're the movie producers and we aren't. :)

Thats exactly right. And there is nothing in Boston that even comes close to resembling Columbia... there are some parts of Cape Cod that do though... but that is different.

lots of red brick and warehouse architecture in both places

Where in Cola? maybe I've missed something....

Here's a few of my shots from Boston. The first one might look alittle like Columbia, but thats about it.

DSC00572.jpg

DSC00580.jpg

DSC00562.jpg

Yeah you could pull the first picture off (if you get enough people on Main), but the other two? Nah. Charleston or Richmond come to mind with the second picture.

I can't wait until the movie comes out to see how the producers pull it off. I'd also like to know what other sites in the state will be used.

I am interested to know how Columbia will play Boston. I've been to both places... they aren't really alike at all. It must be indoor shots, or rural shots. They made it sound like it was going to be in the city though...

There are plenty of scenes in Columbia that could pass for Boston on the screen.

When it comes to shooting a film, the only thing that really matters is the physical environment, not all that other stuff. That's why they're the movie producers and we aren't. :)

I agree. Money and creativity can make anything happen in the film industry. These days it is easier than ever to convincingly fake what you want. What really helped to draw the producer of this film was the recent added incentives to the film industry, which were intended to attract such productions. Hopefully this trend will continue to grow in the state. :)

BTW, a discussion relating to the film industry in SC was just started yesterday in the main SC forum, if you'd like to share any updates/info.

^Yeah, it would be cool for Columbia to play the "sleepy Southern city" role (without all of the negative Southern stereotypes).

How about the Southern city at the cutting edge of the fuel cell movement and the home of the up and coming Gamecocks? :D

• 2 months later...

They're filming the movie today. I work in the Palmetto Center, and they're filming right downstairs. We watched them film a scene with Kevin Bacon walking down the street and the cops are after him. I saw about 10 takes of the same scene, then got a little bored. But was still very cool.

Archived