Another Case against the Disposable Society

monsoon

I learned to drive in a 65 Beetle, and yes you could easily work on it but that was good because it require a lot of maintenance every 3500 miles. I drive a 01 Mercedes now and it only requires an oil change every 13K miles and routine maintenance every 26K miles. It drives much faster than the beetle, gets better gas mileage, and pollutes less. I much prefer the computerization that makes this possible, and my independent mechanic down the street has no problem working on the vehicle when I need it. I only go the the dealer for warranty work.

You are right on about the older vs. newer cars. While older cars were simpler to work on, newer cars offer so much more in efficiency, pollution control, and safety. I would much rather be in almost any passenger car built today in a significant accident than a car of the 60's. My first car, a 68 Bonneveille, as good of a car as she was would not have been a good car to be in an accident. Metal dashboard with minimal padding, a rigid steering wheel, and no shoulder belts. Not to mention that passenger safety cages hadn't been though much about yet. Give me a modern car any day.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, believe what you will about classics. I will admit that they are not for everyone. I will say again that I NEVER had any trouble with my Mustang, nor my Dad with his except tuning that freaking Holley carb. That's his first Holley and both our last Holley...they can't hold a tune worth diddly squat. My Edelbrock carb came spot on from the factory and I never had to touch it. We ditched points though for a solid state system, fully maintenance free and as a bonus, we got improved throttle response, midrange torque, and gas mileage. I'm only driving a late model right now out of convenience. Once I get the funding for a restoration, I'm back to that sweet carbureted lifestyle :) I'm hardcore like that. Right now, I'm thinking '58 Chevy wagon...

New cars are just...plastic and computers. No personality, no soul, no imagination. Hard to work on. Suspension too stiff. Too many expensive electronics to break. You can buy one anywhere. They just don't cut it for me. I like to be different...it's part of why I handwrite assignments, dress like a '50's greaser, have a '56 Schwinn and have more LP's than CD's.

New cars are just...plastic and computers. No personality, no soul, no imagination. Hard to work on. Suspension too stiff. Too many expensive electronics to break. You can buy one anywhere. They just don't cut it for me. I like to be different...it's part of why I handwrite assignments, dress like a '50's greaser, have a '56 Schwinn and have more LP's than CD's.

Even though I believe newer cars are better in many regards to their predecessors, you are right. Not many new cars have "personality" or "soul." (except maybe the Mini Cooper) Older cars just ooze those attributes. BTW, you would appreciate this, I have come across a red '66 Pontiac GTO that I might just buy. I happened to be in one of our stores the mgr. had a pic up on his desk of it. Well, he's getting married and they're allready expecting and he's decided to part with her instead of his bike. Keepin' my fingers crossed!!

(if I got her, I'd fix her up to show car status)

:thumbsup:

Very nice! I've always liked the Goats, they have some wonderful proportions, and as I recall, performed mindblowingly back in the day. I recall reading one period review of a lightly modified GTO and it was holding its own against a stock Ferrari on the track and dragstrip.

And restoring it is most of the fun :) my Dad and I have restored 4 Mustangs and are looking for another project now, too. We've seen a couple of Chevelles, a '54 Buick, and a '56 Chevy wagon, but nothing that's struck either of us as being 'just right' yet.

Archived