Welcome

We now have this section to specifically talk about living a better lifestyle for the good of us all. Since sustainablity and going green goes hand and hand with good urban design it would seem to be a good idea to have a place at UrbanPlanet for these topics. Please let us know what you think and what suggestions you might have for making this another great section.

Thanks,

--Marc

• 4 months later...

Although I am not an environmentalist, I do believe that wasting resources, inefficiency, polluting and accumulation of discarded material makes no sense at all and it takes very little brain power. Therefore I join the movement for sustainability, pollution prevention and recycling for this reason. It takes a little more effort to do the right thing and a little more intelligence to find solutions, but it is a worthy goal and one which is attainable and must be persued for the betterment of all.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a "treehugger" in the sense of those ELF nuts, but as a conservationist who understands mankind needs to be mankind (not some concrete and tar monster), I hope more city planners will expand on the greenspace and respect Mother Nature more - instead of learning over and over and over who rules the Earth.

It's truly sad that in larger cities a zoo or a park is all nature they'll see (other than on TV). The beauty of fishing; the resourcefulness of hunting; and harvesting a bumper crop out of fresh vegies out of your own kitchen and yard waste.

Planning a nice garden this spring, totally organic (and not using manure...e. coli is jumping species now), if for anything to save $40 a week on fresh vegies and put all the grass and leaves to proper use. In the future, we're moving to solar and/or wind power (already completely converted from gas). Be good to get paid by Georgia Power for a change!

Conservation is not only good for the environment; adds to your health; patriotic to be self-reliant; it can even pay! :D

Edited by GAOnMyMind

Unless GA Power does it differently from the companies I'm familiar with, they will not pay you for excess power unless you do some serious investing in other equipment. To do it right, you need equipment to condition the power to 60Hz, and have remote cut-offs so you won't feed juice back into a dead line. Not having this equipment will, at best, be harmful, and at worst, it can be lethal to lineworkers. Same applies to backup generators as well.

Unless GA Power does it differently from the companies I'm familiar with, they will not pay you for excess power unless you do some serious investing in other equipment. To do it right, you need equipment to condition the power to 60Hz, and have remote cut-offs so you won't feed juice back into a dead line. Not having this equipment will, at best, be harmful, and at worst, it can be lethal to lineworkers. Same applies to backup generators as well.

• 2 years later...

Hi

I wana know urban Planet History. Anyone can tell me !!!!!!!!!mellow.gif

You can see the history of the site in this thread:

Please direct all future comments about the history of the site to that thread as this thread is about The Treehugger's Lounge forum specifically.

• 7 years later...