Norfolk International Airport

willy

What do you mean growing slow? Downtown development has taken off, although it may be somewhat late. The port is on track to become the busiest on the east coast, and Norfolk airport is up another 8% this year even after losing a carrier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its way behind compared to other metros of similar and smaller size.

I'm hoping that with the cruise ship terminal being finished and the possible package deal, flight and cruise package, it will increase our passenger rates even that much more in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup that is probably what will happen. The airport and cruise terminal can be a powerful team, and it only helps that they are fairly close to each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Some really good news for Norfolk International. New air carrier coming to Norfolk. Air Wisconsin is coming into Norfolk which operates in conjuction with US Airways and United Airlines. The really good news is they expect to have enough busines to justify a hanger for repairs and everything which will bring 400 jobs to norfolk. Check the article out here. :D:thumbsup:

Some really good news for Norfolk International.  New air carrier coming to Norfolk.  Air Wisconsin is coming into Norfolk which operates in conjuction with US Airways and United Airlines.  The really good news is they expect to have enough busines to justify a hanger for repairs and everything which will bring 400 jobs to norfolk.  Check the article out here. :D  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't sound like a hanger for repairs of only Norfolk based planes, but rather Air Wisconsin's entire fleet of CRJ-200 regional jets. Air Wisconsin as far as I understand is a financially sound private company. Most regional carriers are financially sound since their deals with the big carriers involves lump sum payments no matter passenger counts or % loading and for the big carrier to pay for some or all of the fuel cost. Air Wisconsin is much better to have than the old TWA reservation center.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that raises my spirits somewhat vdogg! thanks for posting! I'm just a little depressed that Richmond got JetBlue first....they just got AirTran and we just lost Independence. But the few month international flight is interesting....I'm afraid Norfolk might not get it because of the tunnels though...:(

Gov. Mark R. Warner worked with the Richmond business and political communities to recruit JetBlue to the capital , which last year was ranked the fifth most expensive place to fly in the nation.

Here's a good question for "russ", but anyone can answer.

Do you think Warner has been working with Norfolk business and political communities to recruit JetBlue to Norfolk? Do you think he has flew up to JetBlues' HQ to have dinner on behalf of Norfolk Int.? Do you think he ever hosted a luncheon at the Executive Mansion for airline executives for Norfolk?

Here's a good question for "russ", but anyone can answer.

Do you think Warner has been working with Norfolk business and political communities to recruit JetBlue to Norfolk? Do you think he has flew up to JetBlues' HQ to have dinner on behalf of Norfolk Int.? Do you think he ever hosted a luncheon at the Executive Mansion for airline executives for Norfolk?

No and this is what i was trying to tell Coupe but he thinks its just a delousion of some sort on my part. They only fight to keep something in Norfolk or if a company on its own chooses to come to this region he will fight for this area. We are the red headed step child of the state. I said the state pushes all economics benefits into Richmond.

have Norfolk business and political communities asked Warner to help them? Maybe that's how Richmond got his help... by asking. I'm not so sure he had an epiphany one day in which he rose from his chair and said "I must recruit JetBlue for Richmond." Maybe though....

And bringing lower costs to one of the highest fare airports (historically) in the country has great implications for a large swath of Virginia, not just the evil people in evil Richmond.

Not to mention if something like this happened to Norfolk, I'd be happy for you guys.....guess if everyone was the same the world would be a pretty boring place though.

have Norfolk business and political communities asked Warner to help them? Maybe that's how Richmond got his help... by asking. I'm not so sure he had an epiphany one day in which he rose from his chair and said "I must recruit JetBlue for Richmond." Maybe though....

And bringing lower costs to one of the highest fare airports (historically) in the country has great implications for a large swath of Virginia, not just the evil people in evil Richmond.

Not to mention if something like this happened to Norfolk, I'd be happy for you guys.....guess if everyone was the same the world would be a pretty boring place though.

Actually the cities do try to get help from him and alot of times he doesn't. Dude its a well known fact

But Norfolk already has Southwest, and just lost Independence Air. AirTran is in Newport News. Hampton Roads has discount airlines. Richmond had AirTran and nothing else.

Playing victim isn't going to get you the airline any faster.

If it's any consolation, airport giant Newark won't be hosting JetBlue flights until Oct. 19. They'll get to Norfolk soon.

But Norfolk already has Southwest, and just lost Independence Air. AirTran is in Newport News. Hampton Roads has discount airlines. Richmond had AirTran and nothing else.

Playing victim isn't going to get you the airline any faster.

If it's any consolation, airport giant Newark won't be hosting JetBlue flights until Oct. 19. They'll get to Norfolk soon.

The point of the comment by willy is that we lack the state backing that we should get unlike Richmond.

:yawn: you said that last time we had a pointless discussion like this and no one mentioned it being the capital as a reason for anything.

And I believe the governor and Virginia's congressional delegation fought tooth and nail for Oceana to remain open.

Like I said earlier, HR already had low-cost airline options and costs were significantly cheaper than Richmond's (it had no lowcost options to the north which JetBlue is fulfilling, not to mention the major business links between the two cities)....I'd argue that maybe HR would not have priority in this situation given the circumstances.

:yawn: you said that last time we had a pointless discussion like this and no one mentioned it being the capital as a reason for anything.

And I believe the governor and Virginia's congressional delegation fought tooth and nail for Oceana to remain open.

Like I said earlier, HR already had low-cost airline options and costs were significantly cheaper than Richmond's (it had no lowcost options to the north which JetBlue is fulfilling, not to mention the major business links between the two cities)....I'd argue that maybe HR would not have priority in this situation given the circumstances.

HR will never have priority when the two are put against each other. State will always choose Richmond

Also the only reason the state is fighting for Oceana is not to save Vabeach but to keep the state taxes it is receiving from the installation!

Richmond had no discount flights to new england and New York....HR has for years.

Does Baltimore count as New England? Norfolk's only discount carrier, Southwest, does not fly to New England or New York from Norfolk. Sure we have flights to New York and New England on carriers like Delta and Continental, but not discount ones. And true, AirTran does fly to Boston from NN, but that just started recently, not years ago.