Norfolk International Airport

willy

Okay, I couldn't find the airport thread so I'm dropping this baby here. :wacko:

Weekly flight to England to be offered for much of 2007

From the Virginian-Pilot

"Weekly nonstop flights between Norfolk International Airport and Kent County, England, will begin next spring in time for the Jamestown 2007 celebration."

"Monarch Airlines, a well-known British charter service, will operate the flights using either an Airbus A330 or a Boeing 767ER. The airbus carries 374 passengers and the Boeing, 309."

Lets hope that with the tourist draw & the lure of the new Cruise Terminal that this catches on. :thumbsup:

I would like to make a suggestion. How bout we split this thread and make a norfolk international airport thread and put it into the norfolk section and then a nnwia thread and put in the virginia section. much like richmond and roanoke have there own airport thread.

Okay, I couldn't find the airport thread so I'm dropping this baby here. :wacko:

Weekly flight to England to be offered for much of 2007

From the Virginian-Pilot

"Weekly nonstop flights between Norfolk International Airport and Kent County, England, will begin next spring in time for the Jamestown 2007 celebration."

"Monarch Airlines, a well-known British charter service, will operate the flights using either an Airbus A330 or a Boeing 767ER. The airbus carries 374 passengers and the Boeing, 309."

Lets hope that with the tourist draw & the lure of the new Cruise Terminal that this catches on. :thumbsup:

Your late! :D

So is this Norfolk Internationals first actual international flight? And how much will it cost?

Norfolk had Air Canada, just as Richmond did at one time. But this is the first trans-Atlantic flight. Supposedly, a round trip will cost about $500.

Also, thank you vdogg for organizing this. I didn't realize the importance of this until urbanfan suggested it.

Pete Decker is still trying hard to bring those back. He even visited Montreal not too long ago to do just that.

3-4 different people (plus families, etc. ) from my wife's office (about 50 people) are coming down to VB this summer. This is about twice the normal that go down. Part of it is the higher CAD and the higher price of gas, which is causing some of them to stop further north than they might otherwise go. I think a seasonal daily direct flight with a regional jet (Embraer/Bombardier) from Dorval would be profitable enough for an airline to pursue.

Edited by Glassoul

3-4 different people (plus families, etc. ) from my wife's office (about 50 people) are coming down to VB this summer. This is about twice the normal that go down. Part of it is the higher CAD and the higher price of gas, which is causing some of them to stop further north than they might otherwise go. I think a seasonal daily direct flight with a regional jet (Embraer/Bombardier) from Dorval would be profitable enough for an airline to pursue.

I don't see why they can't do direct Montreal-Norfolk flights because there are tons of Quebec plates here all summer long. As it stands now, there are too many connections and so the flight is spendy and takes too long. Although the same could be said for many Norfolk-NYC flights as well.

I don't see why they can't do direct Montreal-Norfolk flights because there are tons of Quebec plates here all summer long. As it stands now, there are too many connections and so the flight is spendy and takes too long. Although the same could be said for many Norfolk-NYC flights as well.

It may not be so much about the demand as to why we don't have flights, but it may be that we need an airline that wants to commit to it. Air Canada pulled out after 9-11 because Norfolk was not one of their more profitable routes, but that doesn't mean we didn't have enough demand to support a flight in the first place. I would not be at all surprised if Canada flights resumed in the near future.

More on the London-Norfolk deal

from the Virginian Pilot

Norfolk-to-England fares won't be as low as planned

"British airline officials estimated last year that round-trip tickets could cost from $500 for coach to $1,200 for business class.

High fuel costs and unfavorable exchange rates likely will push prices higher, said Tom Mountjoy, executive vice president of CI Travel, the lead U.S. tour operator for the service. Still, officials said prices will be competitive with other European flights out of large international hubs."

"Officials hope the temporary service will be successful enough to land scheduled commercial service between Norfolk and England."

• 2 weeks later...

Give yourself plenty of time to get through the ticket counter and security. I called a friend of mine who is flying from New York to here in DC tommorow and I advised him to get to La Guardia 2 1/2 hours before take off.

2.5 hrs early for a LaGuardia-to-DC flight doesn't make sense to me. AMTRAK would get him there faster!

Observing the 4+ hour lines at Newark :wacko: I cancelled my reservation and took to the road. Little did I expect DelDOT would have I-95 shut down entirely, re-routing traffic onto Del Rt 7. After I couple hrs of sitting in non-moving traffic I started feeling and acting a bit crazy :w00t: . So my drive from Montclair, NJ to Portsmouth, VA (normally 7 hrs, was more like 9 hrs). I was sure to make 6.5 hrs on the return trip, though. And I succeeded :D

• 1 month later...

New Norfolk-England flights on sale Sunday

From The Daily Press

"New direct flights from Norfolk International Airport to Kent, England, will go on sale Sunday for $829 and up.

The flights are slated to operate weekly from May 2, 2007, to October 24, 2007, and are timed to coincide with the main events of the Jamestown 2007 commemoration.

Tickets will be available for purchase online via a new Web site, HopToEngland.com. The new direct service is the result of a partnership between the Norfolk airport and Kent officials."

Has nothing to do with international flights but...

venting, my girlfriend works for Airport Express, you guys i'm sure have seen the news articles, good news is they lost their contract, bad news is nothing's gotten better. She's got $1200 in paychecks waiting to cash with another one coming soon; the owner's bank has closed his account due to frequent deliquency and this is the sixth or seventh bank to do so to him. I'm so excited for AE to lose their contract. This s*** sucks :angry: