Norfolk International Airport

willy

I would have thought Norfolk's runway was too short.

For any other plane, it would be, however this aircraft was designed to be able to land and take off on some of the shortest runways/fields in the world!

why was it in norfolk?

PS: That would have been a sight!... to see that thing landing flying over the interstate!

Oh, and the article linked to above says a "load of helicopters" but it doesn't say what kind or where to or why...

I wonder is that what I heard this weekend over heard what sounded like a plan going down. When I looked up, I didn't see anything, but it was around friday afternoon, like 5 or 6ish. I heard what I thought was a plan flying much too low and/or a plane was about crash. Starting to think it was that bad boy..

I am told it was loading materiels for Blackwater for transit to Afghanistan.

For any other plane, it would be, however this aircraft was designed to be able to land and take off on some of the shortest runways/fields in the world!

why was it in norfolk?

PS: That would have been a sight!... to see that thing landing flying over the interstate!

Oh, and the article linked to above says a "load of helicopters" but it doesn't say what kind or where to or why...

Edited by nywahoo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Lake Whitehurst has been taken back by ORF for the construction of the parallel runway:

Lake Whitehurst is closing to the public. Access to one of the area's top fishing holes will be shut down Nov. 1.

The property on Shore Drive that is home to a parking lot, wide boat ramp and two fishing piers is owned by Norfolk International Airport.

The airport has leased the property to the city of Norfolk since 1990, and the lake is owned by the city, which uses it for water supply.

But the land lease expired last year, and the airport is taking back control of the property as part of its plans for runway expansion.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/09/lake-white...ut-down-fishing

• 2 months later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/southwest-restore-norfolkvegas-route

Southwest Airlines announced Wednesday it will reinstate nonstop service between Norfolk and Las Vegas this summer.

Southwest will resume Norfolk's only daily nonstop flight to Las Vegas and will add back a fifth daily flight to Baltimore.

A third Saturday-only flight to Chicago Midway Airport will also be added

That is a good move on their part. After my last flight with Southwest to Vegas I decided I would not fly with them again unless it was a direct flight. Delta can be had for about the same price if you aren't checking any luggage and their planes can be much nicer.

Last time I flew with Southwest from Vegas it was advertised as a one stop flight in Nashville. What they meant by the that was we fly from Vegas to Houston and pick up more people but you can't get off the plane or use the bathrooms because they are broke, then we fly to Nashville, and you can't get off the plane or use the bathroom, then we fly to Norfolk... They were continuing on to somewhere up north as well, I'd be even more "pissed" if I had been on the plane for another stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Norfolk international should benefit greatly from high speed rail, even if it may not seem like it. Imagine someone from DC taking the train to downtown Norfolk, then hopping on lighgt rail to the airport. At the airport they could hop on a Boeing 787 to mid to large sized cities in Europe and other international cities. The Mid level market will be huge, and ORF really is in a good place to capitalize on it.

Norfolk international should benefit greatly from high speed rail, even if it may not seem like it. Imagine someone from DC taking the train to downtown Norfolk, then hopping on lighgt rail to the airport. At the airport they could hop on a Boeing 787 to mid to large sized cities in Europe and other international cities. The Mid level market will be huge, and ORF really is in a good place to capitalize on it.

:o

• 3 weeks later...

I hope we can get LR to the airport. Connecting the CBD to the Airport via LRT would be great for the city.

If they extend it to the Naval Base, the most likely extension would get near the airport, but I think it would be connected via bus-shuttle. The logistics to get it into the airport and back out again would be costly. The airport really does sit on an island. The following image should be a little clearer. It is taken from the "Locally Preferred Alignment Report for the Naval Base Norfolk Light Rail Transit Alignment Corridor Study" from 1999

NOBPrefAltLRT.jpg

There are plenty of cities that have light rail running close to the airport with a shuttle bus connecting the two together...I cant wait to see VB start on their line, then having the NOB line starting around the same time or soon after the VB line is finished.

Off the top of my head, Oakland and Phoenix use the shuttle bus method for their airport stop, and Seattle was doing that until just recently when they completed their airport extension. Oh and also oddly enough, JFK and La Guardia in NYC also connects to their rail lines via shuttle bus...though I think JFK has a small connector train, but you still have to transfer to another train once is leaves the airport, so it basically operates much like a shuttle bus.

Not great news for NORF, but then again when put in context not too bad:

Passenger counts were down at Norfolk International Airport in 2009 as the recession deepened, yet the numbers were better than the national average. Norfolk saw a 3.9 percent decrease - 3.41 million passengers compared with 2008's 3.55 million.

Nationally, air travel declined 6 percent over the same period, according to the Air Transport Association, which represents most of the country's major airlines. The Bureau of Transportation Statistics has not released an annual tally, but through October, domestic passenger traffic was off 6.2 percent.

"We're beating the national average, and we feel good about that," said the Norfolk airport's executive director, Wayne Shank. "We would feel better with a

positive growth factor.... It does give us something to strive for this year."

Other Virginia airports did not fare well, either. Passenger traffic at Newport News/Williamsburg International fell nearly 2. 9 percent, from 1.05 million to 1.02 million. Richmond International saw a 5 percent drop to about 3.3 million passengers.

Whoa, talk about a hidden gem:

Shank is cautiously optimistic that traffic will rebound modestly in 2010. He noted that Southwest Airlines is adding flights this year to Las Vegas, Chicago and Baltimore, and that another airline has indicated it would enhance service.

Additionally, "other airlines that I can't name not currently serving Norfolk have expressed some interest," Shank said.

Southwest still leads the local air travel market with 26 percent of passengers. Next are US Airways with 23 percent and Delta Air Lines with 20 percent.

http://hamptonroads....norfolk-airport

Edited by ronsmytheiii

• 2 weeks later...

Everything we say on here that we'd like to see costs money. But clearly, there are times when spending money is critical and not just a luxury. (Listen to me, I think the city should do everything!) Case in point: Although the airport has undergone extensive expansions and improvements (positive ones in my opinion), one thing seems to leave travellers with a sour taste. The main corridors surrounding the airport, whether Azalea Gardens Rd, Mil Hwy, Norview Ave, or other places, are kind of beat down and lack the wow factor that visitors need to see upon arriving. I know not every airport in the country has beautiful surroundings, but it's essential that Norfolk (and all of HR) puts its best foot forward for first impressions. Given tax breaks, no-interest loans, or the like, would people owning homes nearby be receptive to a little curb appeal? What about business and shopping center managers?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anybody know what they're doing by the long-term parking garages? I've noticed this going on for a while. They clear cut the trees and I've heard nothing on what they're building. My guess is more parking?

I wish more were being done to ORF than additional parking. Hopefully, one of these days, someone will realize that brown is not a smart color choice for long tubular terminals. It's a real bummer taxiing up to those monstrosities when you're flying in from some place that was all glass and steel. Welcome to Norfolk, enjoy your stay! :sick:

I wish more were being done to ORF than additional parking. Hopefully, one of these days, someone will realize that brown is not a smart color choice for long tubular terminals. It's a real bummer taxiing up to those monstrosities when you're flying in from some place that was all glass and steel. Welcome to Norfolk, enjoy your stay! :sick:

I Disagree, the Norfolk Airport is certainly a unique and lovely airport. Having flown to Charles de Gaulle, Miami International, Orlando, LaGaurdia, JFK, and Rome Norfolk is still my favorite airport. The tan colored pebbles certainly add a unique texture that other airports do not have.