Norfolk International Airport

willy

ORF is closing the airport late nights due to resurfacing. 

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/maritime-and-transportation/article_d1229d88-9a7f-11e8-be24-af809fd61c08.html?spMailingID=14025709&spUserID=Mjc1NDQ4MTE0MTY4S0&spJobID=1460729831&spReportId=MTQ2MDcyOTgzMQS2

The article state flights in the air during the renovation will be sent to Richmond and bussed to ORF. Wouldn’t Newport News be a lot closer?

Edited by urbanvb
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

By my math, they've had about 2.7M passengers through the first 3/4 of the year, with two major holiday periods coming up. I think 3.5M is a strong possibility for the year, maybe even closer to 4M, which would be a great selling point for the airport.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I flew into ORF from DFW on Saturday and I am currently in the TSA security line to fly back so here's my thoughts on the airport as a whole. The security areas are nice and modern seeming and so is the lobby area prior to the security checks. However, the airline check-in area needs a lot of work it seems quite small and set back in time from the rest especially how you have to carry your bags to the x-ray scanners. They need to get more of the full body scanners for the security check. The terminals are nice but small they should definitely be at least another 20 or 30 feet wider not because there's so many people walking but because everytime there is a flight everyone waiting around the gates take up the walking area and heaven forbid there's 2 flights taking off near each other at gates right beside each other.

IMO I think they should definitely find a way to get the parallel runway and maybe even look into a 3rd terminal especially if we keep getting additional carriers and flights.

Edited by Urbanlooker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It will actually be built next to the existing parking garages, where they have already built the 9 story stair and elevator tower attached to arrivals.  All of the long term parking lot will go away leaving it open to expand the current apron and possibly add a third terminal in that area.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 8:27 PM, BFG said:

I wonder what needs to be studied. To be able to fly out of ORF across the Atlantic seems like a no-brainer. Right now I think you have to go to DC. 

To be able to offer international flights, they need ICE to agree to man a customs office for incoming flights.  They also need a separate corridor to keep arriving passengers separated from the rest of the airport until they clear passport control and customs.  The airlines need to know that the market it there, and will be there reliably for the long haul.  It is not economically feasible to fly smaller jets across the Atlantic.  They usually fly 767s or 777s.  Can you fill that plane up once a week?  Will Norfolk's runway support a plane that big?  

I suspect the international flights the mayor is proposing are to the Caribbean, not Europe.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, virginia pe said:

They also need a separate corridor to keep arriving passengers separated from the rest of the airport until they clear passport control and customs. 

You can use a shuttle system to disembark passengers and send them to a separate area for passport control, they do that here in Europe for a lot of smaller airports (and in Europe, the vast majority of flights are international)

{quote]It is not economically feasible to fly smaller jets across the Atlantic.  They usually fly 767s or 777s.[/quote]

Airlines are actually interested in smaller, longe-range aircraft that would fit well in Norfolk. Look up the Airbus A321LR/XLR or the future Boeing NMA/797. Even existing Boeing 757s are being repurposed for international flights, I recently flew back to Dulles from England last October on Iceland Air using two 757s with an aircraft change at Iceland. If Norfolk can shave cost off a flight compared to flights in the beltway, might open up a lot of traffic to ORF.

• Like 1