Norfolk International Airport

willy

Passenger traffic increases are great. Along with these numbers, and the plans that I saw somewhere for a new terminal to be built where long-term parking currently sits, I do think ORF will expand soon. The talk of international flights makes it obvious that the new terminal will be for the international flights.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

About 325K in April 2019, compared to 287K in April of last year.

January-April of this year saw 1.14M passengers, compared to 1M during the first four months of 2018, a 14% increase. Keeping that in mind, ORF is on pace to reach about 3.4M this year, but I imagine a heavy summer could push this to four million. I think it helps that the airport offers more round trip flights now, compared to last year.

http://www.norfolkairport.com/sites/default/files/April 2019 Media Release.pdf

Edited by BFG
  • Like 2

I’m flying out today and the terminal definitely seems busier than I’ve seen in recent years. I think 4M passengers will happen and put us much closer to other mid-sized airports and a new terminal. 

B9E46950-8E34-401E-9471-7DFBB34B4A2B.jpeg

• Like 1

One thing they should definitely do if, and when they decide to add a third terminal, is that they should find a way to conect the three terminals within the steral zone. That way the airport can add more shops, and restraunts, and diversify there offerings. Parhaps they can add a food coart like Baltimore,  if they choose to become a hub.  The easiest way, would be to lose a couple gates closest to the main terminal(they would add more than they would lose by building the third terminal), then they could just build a couple sky walks between the three terminals.

• Like 1

Interesting that the airport is averaging double digit percentage jumps every month this year, but only expects about a six percent increase. Numbers going up are good no matter what; it's just curious that ORF gives such a conservative estimate going into the summer. Are some of the seasonal nonstop routes ending this fall?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BFG said:

Interesting that the airport is averaging double digit percentage jumps every month this year, but only expects about a six percent increase. Numbers going up are good no matter what; it's just curious that ORF gives such a conservative estimate going into the summer. Are some of the seasonal nonstop routes ending this fall?

Yeah, the 5.7% increase refers to flight departures, while the "double digit increase" refers to passenger count. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing I notice that ORF lacks compared to other airports: not too many fast food options. I’m all about supporting local, but I think the terminals could use something other than a BK in the main area. Charlotte’s airport actually has a food court, and I’ve seen places like Popeye’s, Chick-Fil-A, Cinnabon, and Wendy’s in ATL. 

Navy says no to second runway at ORF.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/article_9b115e38-b30f-11e9-a078-e739124ab574.html

I'm still taking this all in, so there may be some hot takes here. I know the airport is gonna give in to the Navy because military takes top priority in this area, but it's really time to stop depending on the military so much. The article mentions that helicopter-related operations would have to relocate to another city because of this, and part of me wants to say "let 'em". I'm really not a fan of the Navy holding the airport's future growth hostage here.

When I go to other airports and see how far behind we are, to be a region of two million, it's very frustrating. Either let them go or start looking for new places to build an airport.

• Like 1

The military provides stability in hard economic times, but it does nothing but hamper growth in good times. Norfolk, VA. Beach, doesn't matter. No where is safe from the Navy's stamp of disapproval and it is getting quite ridiculous. The whole region needs to come together and decide on a significant economic plan that doesn't rely on the military. It'll take decades to make it happen, but it's time we start the process of going our separate ways. We've simply outgrown each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Virginia City said:

If I were the city I would call their bluff.

Likewise. A lot rides on this, and I think the increased traffic could help make up for the slack, esp. if the area is working to promote tourism. 

• Like 1