Norfolk International Airport

willy

Both Airports in Norfolk and Newport News are doing too well to even think about building an airport out in Isle of Wright.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Both airport are growing at a very healthy pace. Newport News is exploding with growth which isn't very hard considering its easier to grow when your small. The feds have already started a new runway environmental impact for Norfolk International. Mainly because after an airport reaches 60% of its capacity they are mandated by federal provisions to plan a new runway. As of now NIA is at 80% of its design capacity as far as runways are considered. Thus the need for a new runway. What most people don't see is the Norfolk does alot of shipping. So while the concourses arn't completely overcrowded it does not mean that the airport's runways are sufficient. With cruise industry ramping up here and possibly a new airline coming to town things could get quite crowded at NIA.

Newport News/Williamsburg International is also starting a runway study for its campus. NNWI is in the top five nationwide as far as growth is concerned. Public parking garages are getting ready to be started also.

Currently the largest jets that serve Norfolk are 757's by Delta I think. Its sad though that we don't have the demand for larger jets. I hate riding in puny jets. I'm used to the biggies haha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

757's are nearly 3 times the capacity of 737s. But the airport has handled bigger planes. Even though they aren't used by any of the airlines for passengers, the shipping companies like UPS and FedEx use DC-10's and MD-11's when needed. Those planes are capable of carrying up 400 people. Also bigger planes require airlines to fill more of its seats. Competition is so stiff and the market is being accomodated so additionally airlines and seats could hurt the others (but then again maybe not if US airways goes down then the remaining airlines and Jet Blue if they come will keep the market well accomodated.)

Edited by ace707

Why do we have this topic when it would work well under the airport thread? I don't know about everyone else in this forum but it has gotten so overrun with topic threads that don't have longevity and/or fall in other existing threads. Do we really need Hilton news when we already have the Hilton Downtown thread and what's up with threads that have a topic that only speculates but has no real concrete info for it (i.e. New Norfolk Southern Tower, etc.) Can we clean this place up?

Edited by ace707

Why do we have this topic when it would work well under the airport thread? I don't know about everyone else in this forum but it has gotten so overrun with topic threads that don't have longevity and/or fall in other existing threads. Do we really need Hilton news when we already have the Hilton Downtown thread and what's up with threads that have a topic that only speculates but has no real concrete info for it (i.e. New Norfolk Southern Tower, etc.) Can we clean this place up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, calm down there ace it will be alright. I usually give a thread a certain bit of leeway before i start merging it with others to see what type of response it will get and whether it can stand on its own or needs to be moved. All your complaints have been duly noted and where necessary i will make adjustments.

Wow, calm down there ace it will be alright. I usually give a thread a certain bit of leeway before i start merging it with others to see what type of response it will get and whether it can stand on its own or needs to be moved. All your complaints have been duly noted and where necessary i will make adjustments.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha, I'm sorry dude. Sorry if I sounded mad. I not mad or anything, I just thought it was something to take note of. Thanks though for understanding ^_^

YES! It was confirmed by airport officials via email. This is what they sent me when i asked them if it was true that there would be flights to miami.

"Yes! AA will begin nonstop service to ORF - MIA (1 flight daily) on June 9, 2005:

Flight #4215

Dep ORF 7:50am

Arr MIA 10:10am

Flight #4216

Dep MIA 8:50pm

Arr ORF 11:11pm

Service on Embraer Regional Jet"

:D

Currently the largest jets that serve Norfolk are 757's by Delta I think. Its sad though that we don't have the demand for larger jets. I hate riding in puny jets. I'm used to the biggies haha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if it can handle the 757 and DC-10, then it probably should be able to handle the 787 at least. However, like I said before the 747/777/A380 aren't supported and likely won't be because there is no market for them in Norfolk.

YES! It was confirmed by airport officials via email. This is what they sent me when i asked them if it was true that there would be flights to miami.

"Yes!  AA will begin nonstop service to ORF - MIA (1 flight daily) on June 9, 2005:

Flight #4215

Dep ORF 7:50am

Arr MIA 10:10am

Flight #4216

Dep MIA 8:50pm

Arr ORF 11:11pm

Service on Embraer Regional Jet"

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good news okinawa. I am gonna have to merge this with the airport thread but i will have to do so later when i get off of work. Thanks for posting this.

Richmond got Airtran!! I didn't think it was possible with Newport News right next to it, but it happened. Norfolk has enjoyed good news though too. In the past couple months we have added flights to Fort Lauderdale, Chicago Midway, and Miami coming up. Now we just have to wait for JetBlue! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's great news.

I was checking the Norfolk Airport website and noticed on the terminal map that the gates are no longer 1-30, but are A1-A11, B16-B30. Has it changed inside the actual airport?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's interesting... hmm... what happened to gates 12-15? The last time I was at the airport was early October '04 but everything looked the same. The only thing I can think of with the change in gate I.D's is the addition of the letter of the concourse. So when concourse C comes then we'll have gates C31-C45 hahaha

That's interesting... hmm... what happened to gates 12-15? The last time I was at the airport was early October '04 but everything looked the same. The only thing I can think of with the change in gate I.D's is the addition of the letter of the concourse. So when concourse C comes then we'll have gates C31-C45 hahaha

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah the numbering doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think its just to make the airport sound bigger haha! It should be numbered like A1-A11, B1-B15, etc. because when you have gates B15-B30, one thinks "where is B1-B14? :blink: ".

Anyway, what do you guys think of the new arrivals terminal? I've only read about it....never actually been to it yet.

Yeah the numbering doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think its just to make the airport sound bigger haha! It should be numbered like A1-A11, B1-B15, etc. because when you have gates B15-B30, one thinks "where is B1-B14?  :blink: ".

Anyway, what do you guys think of the new arrivals terminal? I've only read about it....never actually been to it yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The last time I took a flight into Norfolk back in 2002 I used the arrivals terminal. It is a very nice addition to the airport!

Thanks Okinawa!

The last time I was in the airport (Nov 04) they were doing tons of work. Is that done yet? I am interested to see how it looks.

I have always liked ORF because the central design is neat and clean, the new arrivals terminal is spacious and not cramped like the old one. And it is a nice size! I could do without seeing Pat Roberston every time I step off the plane but other than that no complaints.

Thanks Okinawa!

The last time I was in the airport (Nov 04) they were doing tons of work.  Is that done yet?  I am interested to see how it looks. 

I have always liked ORF because the central design is neat and clean, the new arrivals terminal is spacious and not cramped like the old one.  And it is a nice size!  I could do without seeing Pat Roberston every time I step off the plane but other than that no complaints.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Concourse C hasn't been started yet to my knowledge. What you saw was probably work on that parking lot near there. What kind of work did you see?

While this is not good news, it does leave room for Jetblue. The airport has said that another carrier (hopefully Jetblue) is going to be announced later this year. JetBlue's name has been tossed around by airport officials several times over the past few years. Also, Indy Air only accounts for 2-3% of the total passengers served at NIA, so it's not going to be that big of a blow.