Norfolk International Airport

willy

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed the construction going on adjacent to the garages? If it is what i think it is, the airport is about to gain another major structure. Albeit a parking garage, but if they are going for symmetry (which is what there plans show) it should be the same size as the other large garage. Imo, the large parking garage on the north side of the baggage claim aria is the most visually noticable part of the airport. I have a feeling that when they are done building it(if thats what they are doing) the airport will look much more impressive. 

23 hours ago, Cjnfkvb said:

Has anyone noticed the construction going on adjacent to the garages? If it is what i think it is, the airport is about to gain another major structure. Albeit a parking garage, but if they are going for symmetry (which is what there plans show) it should be the same size as the other large garage. Imo, the large parking garage on the north side of the baggage claim aria is the most visually noticable part of the airport. I have a feeling that when they are done building it(if thats what they are doing) the airport will look much more impressive. 

They are in fact building another garage right there. 

On 1/14/2020 at 10:29 PM, Cjnfkvb said:

That was part of the plan to remove the existing satellite lot to make room for the future apron and terminal in that spot.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:44 AM, Willy18 said:

Wonder if San Diego has to deal with these type of issues? Their airport and military facilities are just across the bay from each other.  

San Diego is awful to fly in and out of and really hard to find flights at for a decent price. Most people just drive up to the LA metro and fly out of those airports. Hampton Roads could really benefit from having a larger airport on the outskirts of the metro or even between Richmond and Hampton Roads.

1 hour ago, lammius said:

I always thought Craney Island would be a good place for a larger regional airport.  That, or a massive expansion of the "Hampton Roads executive airport" out toward Suffolk

Craney Island is too important to the Port of Virginia to ever develop it for anything else.  Most of the material dredged from the Hampton Roads harbor goes to Craney Island until it is dried out and can be safely trucked away.  Dredging is nearly a continuing operation to maintain the depth required for commercial shipping.  Getting the regulatory permits to dispose of all that material offshore or anywhere else would eat up a lot of time and cost a ton of money.

https://www.nao.usace.army.mil/About/Projects/Craney-Island/

The Hampton Roads Executive Airport is adjacent to the Great Dismal Swamp.  If an airplane taking off to toward the south had mechanical problems, it would have to make an emergency landing in the swamp.  It would take forever to get rescue crews to the crash site.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 4:23 PM, virginia pe said:

Craney Island is too important to the Port of Virginia to ever develop it for anything else.  Most of the material dredged from the Hampton Roads harbor goes to Craney Island until it is dried out and can be safely trucked away.  Dredging is nearly a continuing operation to maintain the depth required for commercial shipping.  Getting the regulatory permits to dispose of all that material offshore or anywhere else would eat up a lot of time and cost a ton of money.

https://www.nao.usace.army.mil/About/Projects/Craney-Island/

The Hampton Roads Executive Airport is adjacent to the Great Dismal Swamp.  If an airplane taking off to toward the south had mechanical problems, it would have to make an emergency landing in the swamp.  It would take forever to get rescue crews to the crash site.

Only some of the material is trucked away. Craney island will eventually be filled in. As of right now it is expected to be at capacity in 2028 at height of 47'.  It could be extended another 15 years to 2043 if they strengthen the Western dike, however that would mean that the height of the Craney Island would increase, which neighboring groups and municipalities have been historically opposed to. The current plan for dredged material after Craney Island reaches capacity is to dump it 17 miles offshore. However, it is likely they will find a new site. 

I believe that eventually something will become of this area, I don't see how they can they can justify raising the height to the point that it becomes useless space. This is absolutely the best location for a regional airport and I hope that it is at least considered. 

• Like 1

Only some of the material is trucked away. Craney island will eventually be filled in. As of right now it is expected to be at capacity in 2028 at height of 47'.  It could be extended another 15 years to 2043 if they strengthen the Western dike, however that would mean that the height of the Craney Island would increase, which neighboring groups and municipalities have been historically opposed to. The current plan for dredged material after Craney Island reaches capacity is to dump it 17 miles offshore. However, it is likely they will find a new site. 

I believe that eventually something will become of this area, I don't see how they can they can justify raising the height to the point that it becomes useless space. This is absolutely the best location for a regional airport and I hope that it is at least considered. 

I can’t say I disagree. However, access to Craney Island from the entire metro would be prohibitively expensive unless the entire plan for the third crossing comes to fruition independent of the airport.

436d3e68b83fbc1d1ad74e67b419087d.jpg&key=dbf23d94e11c460c4b909c58bea66d8322671a7e7a03b7f93d54dbc340e2240e

Also, protected wetland waterfowl and planes don’t mix well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

As international travel is starting to be affected by the coronavirus outbreak don’t be surprised to see numbers trend down a bit this year. It won’t appear in our numbers immediately because we have no direct international flights, but I expect to see that trickle down to the numerous connecting flights we have come through this area. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2020 at 8:22 PM, vdogg said:

As international travel is starting to be affected by the coronavirus outbreak don’t be surprised to see numbers trend down a bit this year. It won’t appear in our numbers immediately because we have no direct international flights, but I expect to see that trickle down to the numerous connecting flights we have come through this area. 

Wait. We have connecting flights that come through ORF? 

3 hours ago, BFG said:

Wait. We have connecting flights that come through ORF? 

Not connecting, but the first leg of the journey. I usually go to the UK once a year. I take the train up to Dulles and fly out of there, though there are options to begin your journey on a certain carrier, fly up to Reagan or Dulles, and then fly to UK (more expensive). Since international travel is banned currently, the flights that are the first part of an international journey coming out of ORF will be eliminated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BFG said:

Gotcha. I'm hoping once this all clears up, we can get a true international destination, although I'm guessing the airlines figure going to Dulles or Reagan is more feasible for the region.

We don’t have runaways long enough for the larger planes required for international flight. We’d need a new runway.

• Like 1

Due to Coronavirus, there are fears amongst Peninsula leaders that airlines could pull away from NN/Williamsburg International and fly out of ORF. While I'd love to see more flights from Norfolk, I want it to happen organically, not because of an economic catastrophe. If you live in NN, that's a good 30-40 drive into Norfolk, assuming the tunnel isn't backed up. That wouldn't be fair to residents, esp. with no light rail.

https://www.dailypress.com/news/transportation/dp-nw-newport-news-airport-concerns-20200408-imfjzpjdineg7mqpnhh6sdogea-story.html?fbclid=IwAR0ihDLA1s4wyMbM8db7fFg3VoAb9jxDYnQvUPvvl9xmEv60cz1a3zxj-oA

Edited by BFG