Norfolk International Airport

willy

3 hours ago, BFG said:

Due to Coronavirus, there are fears amongst Peninsula leaders that airlines could pull away from NN/Williamsburg International and fly out of ORF. While I'd love to see more flights from Norfolk, I want it to happen organically, not because of an economic catastrophe. If you live in NN, that's a good 30-40 drive into Norfolk, assuming the tunnel isn't backed up. That wouldn't be fair to residents, esp. with no light rail.

https://www.dailypress.com/news/transportation/dp-nw-newport-news-airport-concerns-20200408-imfjzpjdineg7mqpnhh6sdogea-story.html?fbclid=IwAR0ihDLA1s4wyMbM8db7fFg3VoAb9jxDYnQvUPvvl9xmEv60cz1a3zxj-oA

Not a lot of options out of that airport. Most of the folks I know that live on that side of the water just fly out of RVA.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 9:20 AM, Virginia City said:

The HR Executive Airport would be the perfect place to build a larger airport.  The main runway runs east to west so taking off to the south isn't needed. It's also right at the conversion point of 64, 264, 664 and 58.

That makes the most sense for the region, the current airport in Norfolk could then either be turned into a private aircraft and small jets field or completely redeveloped.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, urbanlife said:

That makes the most sense for the region, the current airport in Norfolk could then either be turned into a private aircraft and small jets field or completely redeveloped.

Really don't expect this to happen any time soon. ORF is already working on redeveloping and it's pretty rare for the main airport of a metro area to be overtaken by a new and unrelated entity. There's only a handful of examples in the last 30 years in the U.S.

• Like 1

With traffic being down so drastically, is it going to affect future expansion plans, or will it be understood that Covid-19 was a special (unexpected) exception? I've seen a couple articles predicting that less airport traffic may become the new normal...not to say ORF shouldn't expand, but maybe a more modest upgrade is all that's needed, if larger airports like LAX or LaGuardia shouldn't expect to pull the numbers they did before.

Considering, that the future trends of the area seem to be urban/and suburban infill (not sprawl (yes, I know there is still sprawl going on in the suburban cities.)),the currant airport is centrally located (regarding population), and the future decline of automobile use(in favor of multi model transportation), also the feasibility of alternatives such as HSR, and high speed ferry service; I dont see a new airport being taken seriously for many, many decades(if ever). I do see ORF expanding drastically to keep up with the inevitable population increase in the future. If Suffolk somehow had a major population boom, and surpassed Norfolk, or Virginia beach (which is unlikely), then maby a new airport would make sense where the Hampton roads executive airport currently sits, but as of present day, that is highly unlikely. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cjnfkvb said:

Considering, that the future trends of the area seem to be urban/and suburban infill (not sprawl (yes, I know there is still sprawl going on in the suburban cities.)),the currant airport is centrally located (regarding population), and the future decline of automobile use(in favor of multi model transportation), also the feasibility of alternatives such as HSR, and high speed ferry service; I dont see a new airport being taken seriously for many, many decades(if ever). I do see ORF expanding drastically to keep up with the inevitable population increase in the future. If Suffolk somehow had a major population boom, and surpassed Norfolk, or Virginia beach (which is unlikely), then maby a new airport would make sense where the Hampton roads executive airport currently sits, but as of present day, that is highly unlikely. 

Please show me where ORF can drastically expand because if you look at a map it really can't get any bigger. Do we fill in the lake? Get rid of the Botanical Gardens? It is surrounded by neighborhoods and military bases.

Most airports in large metro areas are on the outskirts so they can have little impact on the local population i.e. expansion, jet noise, crash areas.

17 hours ago, Virginia City said:

Please show me where ORF can drastically expand because if you look at a map it really can't get any bigger. Do we fill in the lake? Get rid of the Botanical Gardens? It is surrounded by neighborhoods and military bases.

Most airports in large metro areas are on the outskirts so they can have little impact on the local population i.e. expansion, jet noise, crash areas.

The biggest ORF can ever get will be the size of airport that San Diego has since both airports have similar restrictions.  If ORF got rid of the South Lot and the East Lot, it would be possible to expand into a new terminal or two in that space depending how it was designed which would open up for more airlines to fly in and out of Norfolk. As for any major expansions beyond adding a new terminal wing would happen up in Richmond if they expanded their airport to be more on par with the size of Ronald Reagan International, but anything larger than that, I think Hampton Roads is just gonna have to deal with taking the road trip to Dulles International to for major flights.

On 5/22/2020 at 12:12 PM, Virginia City said:

When I say "drastically expand", I am refering to the adition of a terminal, or two, and maby a second runway. That in my opinion would be drastic.  We would never get an airport like atlanta. They already have plans to add a third terminal, and there is space for a 4th, if they clear some buildings around miller store road. also, there plans for a parallel runway do indeed call for a portion of lake whitehurst to be filled in. I can see cargo traffic being transferred to other airports like the Hampton roads executive airport, to make even more space. As for the jet noise, and crash areas, that is somthing we already deal with, even if the airport wasnt there. Living in norfolk, I am constantly bombarded with jet noise, train noise, ship noise, traffic noise, gunshots, and sirens. Locate an airport on the outskirts of a major metropolitan, and you get alot more nimby resistance, because karen wants here suburban peace and quiet.(no ofense to anyone actually named karen). The noise, and other problems are an accepted fact for people living in the center of any major metro. The main point that I am trying to convey, is that I don't see our leaders investing in a new passenger airport, until they have milked every drop they can get from orf, and phf.

• Like 3

Airport board approved two new corporate hangars for Dollar Tree to store its jets. 

https://www.pilotonline.com/inside-business/vp-ib-airport-hangars-0608-20200529-qcdiqsah5zgczl35rfvrudyyn4-story.html

The corporate hangars are another incentive for larger companies to come to the area, Bowen said.

“It is part of the economic development equation for attracting and retaining businesses in the commonwealth,” he added.

• Like 1

So...someone with more expertise in this area, help me out here. They’re saying it’s an incentive bring businesses here; is this a result of Norfolk Southern leaving and will it be enough, considering NS needed more direct flights to major cities?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Southwest will offer daily nonstop service (except Saturdays) from Norfolk to San Diego through January 5,  2021. This is great news for for those west coast travelers. It would be great if service is successful and it continues.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/southwest-offers-daily-nonstop-service-from-norfolk-international-to-san-diego/

Edited by urbanvb

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2020 at 1:04 PM, zeppelin14 said:

Is this the long-term parking garage? Does this mean the new concourse is next?

I’m not sure about the time table, but I just want there to be a bunch of natural light. I went to Birmingham, Alabama this week, and their airport isn’t much larger than ORF, but it’s nice inside. 

399DC41C-2A18-45BA-98A4-55147FC797D5.jpeg

6FD0C97C-5C07-41FC-A96F-6A1234468C6A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...