Norfolk International Airport

willy

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Merrittk92 said:

More very encouraging news from Breeze. I really believe it’s not a matter of if ORF gets International flights but when! 

Breeze to go International sooner than expected?

4846CF1D-6D64-4FA9-B6C1-39C339D6C1C6.jpeg

I will be so happy not to have to go to Dulles any more to get to Europe (much cheaper flying out of there instead of starting in Norfolk and connecting). 

• Like 2

Also, as of October, ORF has seen 2.7M passengers in 2021. They likely passed 3M last month, and it looks like they'll finish the year close to where they were in 2019, before the pandemic hit. For them to have started the year off slowly, they picked up very nicely. I imagine we'll soon hear about the expansion and upgrades they put on the backburner last year, esp. with Breeze's success.

https://www.norfolkairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/October-2021-Media-Release.pdf

• Like 3

I've posted a lotta ORF updates this week. :P

https://www.facebook.com/NorfolkInternationalAirport/posts/6584776874930144

This is from the airport's Facebook page...updated shots of the parking garage expansion. Looking at the aerial, I see the perfect setup for the expansion. Put the third terminal on the short-term parking lot, and move the main entrance 90 degrees so that the doors line up parallel to the street. I outlined everything in yellow.

orf.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BFG said:

I've posted a lotta ORF updates this week. :P

https://www.facebook.com/NorfolkInternationalAirport/posts/6584776874930144

This is from the airport's Facebook page...updated shots of the parking garage expansion. Looking at the aerial, I see the perfect setup for the expansion. Put the third terminal on the short-term parking lot, and move the main entrance 90 degrees so that the doors line up parallel to the street. I outlined everything in yellow.

orf.jpg

You are right BFG I think that is the best expansion option. It is nice to see that they are following their master plan exactly. I think the Norfolk Airport Authority has some ambitious plans with a lot riding on them getting a second runway approved.  I think it depends on regional leadership pushing for the airport vs little creek. But do not feel as though we will see leadership like that for some years. 

E415AFF8-8C38-4B48-9FCB-BA75AFD763FA.jpeg

3EF05AE1-C5D2-4619-9567-3AF5DD174522.jpeg

Edited by Si7i
  • Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, the airport authority outlined a 20-year plan back in the mid-to-late-2000s. I dunno how much the Great Recession impacted any of that, but we're in about Year 15 or so...I'd expect some announcements in the next few years, esp. with Breeze. We got close to some major announcements before the pandemic started.

35 minutes ago, Urbanlooker said:

According to their FB page ORF saw more than 116% increase in passenger traffic in November, making it the busiest November on record. 

Screenshot_20211211-211048_Facebook.jpg

They need to pull the trigger on expansion now while they have momentum and capacity. I feel like with this increased traffic and overall regional population growth, this area is set to take off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2021 at 6:49 PM, vdogg said:

I will be so happy not to have to go to Dulles any more to get to Europe (much cheaper flying out of there instead of starting in Norfolk and connecting). 

Calling it now, Norfolk to stansted. Which will be really confusing to the locals, because the OG Norfolk County is about an hour drive from there.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ronsmytheiii said:

Calling it now, Norfolk to stansted. Which will be really confusing to the locals, because the OG Norfolk County is about an hour drive from there.......

I will never again fly into Stansted. They billed it as a "London" airport, but London proper was damn near an hour away. Had to take a bus the rest of the way in, which was crowded and anything but timely. We need to connect to Gatwick if anything else.

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

I will never again fly into Stansted. They billed it as a "London" airport, but London proper was damn near an hour away. Had to take a bus the rest of the way in, which was crowded and anything but timely. We need to connect to Gatwick if anything else.

Ah, well I would have advised taking the Stansted Express train into London instead, but truth be told Stansted is closer to Cambridge than London. https://www.stanstedexpress.com/

I also like to joke it is a shopping mall with an airport at the back, UK airports wont tell you your gate until 15 minutes before boarding to maximize the amount of time people shop in the main concourse area.

15 hours ago, ronsmytheiii said:

Ah, well I would have advised taking the Stansted Express train into London instead, but truth be told Stansted is closer to Cambridge than London. https://www.stanstedexpress.com/

I also like to joke it is a shopping mall with an airport at the back, UK airports wont tell you your gate until 15 minutes before boarding to maximize the amount of time people shop in the main concourse area.

Unfortunately, at the time we landed (early morning), It was not an option. It's possible they've changed the schedule now, as this was some years ago, but not an experience I look forward to repeating. Gatwick on the other hand was wonderful. Gatwick express was 30 minute straight shot into the heart of London. I'd love a Gatwick Norfolk connection, and with our ties to the royal navy and NATO, direct Norfolk/London flights actually make sense. I feel there's some untapped demand there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BFG said:

The airport bounced back nicely last year…321K in December and a total of 3.3M on the year. Can’t wait to see what news awaits in 2022, esp. from Breeze Airlines  

https://www.norfolkairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/December-2021-Media-Release-002.pdf

Is this any increase from pre-pandemic levels?

8 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

Is this any increase from pre-pandemic levels?

2019 we were just under 4M, somewhere around 3.8 or 3.9. I'd say this is on par with 2017-18. If not for the slow start to last year, I'd guess we see 4M in 2021.

• Like 1