Norfolk International Airport

willy

3 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

I can't find anything about Norfolk turning down a Piedmont hub. In 1987 Norfolk Southern considered making a bid to purchase Piedmont, but it was eventually sold to US Airways.

The closest I found was Piedmont pulled out of then-Patrick Henry Airport and focused more on expanding services in Norfolk. That was July 1979; doing a little digging, CLT opened its new Piedmont terminal around '82. Looks like BWI and Dayton, Ohio became the other two Piedmont hubs, so I'll leave it you to decide how much Norfolk could've grown in the last 40 years.

https://www.newspapers.com/image/231860036/?terms=piedmont norfolk international airport hub&match=1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Come on guys, you all have to be excited about this!  Breeze Airways is expanding again at ORF - more west coast destinations!

From Norfolk, VA, to:

• Jacksonville, FL** (Fri and Mon, starting May 27, Nice from $49* one way, Nicer from $89*; Nicest from $99*);
  • Los Angeles, CA** (Thurs, Sun and Tues, starting June 30, Nice from $99* one way; Nicer from $189*; Nicest from $199*);
  • Savannah, GA** (Fri and Mon, starting July 1, Nice from $49* one way; Nicer from $89*; Nicest from $99*; summer seasonal route); and
  • Las Vegas, NV** (Thurs and Sun, starting August 4, Nice from $99* one way; Nicer from $189*; Nicest from $199*)

https://www.wdrb.com/news/national/breeze-airways-is-adding-35-routes-from-10-new-cities-this-summer/article_cc26d1b5-205d-5cd8-b7d3-953e3d617ccf.html

• Like 3

From Norfolk, VA, to:

• Jacksonville, FL** (Fri and Mon, starting May 27, Nice from $49* one way, Nicer from $89*; Nicestfrom $99*);
  • Los Angeles, CA** (Thurs, Sun and Tues, starting June 30, Nice from $99* one way; Nicer from $189*; Nicest from $199*);
  • Savannah, GA** (Fri and Mon, starting July 1, Nicefrom $49* one way; Nicer from $89*; Nicest from $99*; summer seasonal route); and
  • Las Vegas, NV** (Thurs and Sun, starting August 4, Nice from $99* one way; Nicer from $189*; Nicestfrom $199*).

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220308005600/en/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Come on guys, you all have to be excited about this!  Breeze Airways is expanding again at ORF - more west coast destinations!

From Norfolk, VA, to:

• Jacksonville, FL** (Fri and Mon, starting May 27, Nice from $49* one way, Nicer from $89*; Nicest from $99*);
  • Savannah, GA** (Fri and Mon, starting July 1, Nice from $49* one way; Nicer from $89*; Nicest from $99*; summer seasonal route); and
  • Las Vegas, NV** (Thurs and Sun, starting August 4, Nice from $99* one way; Nicer from $189*; Nicest from $199*)

https://www.wdrb.com/news/national/breeze-airways-is-adding-35-routes-from-10-new-cities-this-summer/article_cc26d1b5-205d-5cd8-b7d3-953e3d617ccf.html

You had me at L.A. Great news. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, walmartjamesbond said:

Yup!! Just before this announcement Breeze worked out our catering issue that I mentioned previously!

The A220 is coming to ORF, and it’s going to be here to stay. Breeze needs more gates. We currently use B16, B17, and B18. However, we share B17 and 18 with Frontier. It’ll be interesting to see what their plan is! I’m guessing at least 2 A220s will be based in ORF to start. 

Next base opening is Provo in Utah, Near Salt Lake City.  Definitely wouldn’t be surprised if we end up getting that route. 

Fantastic news!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Urbanlooker said:

Great news! Maybe we need to start work that third terminal? And definitely need to get a second runway somehow someway! Hopefully ORF can continue to expand and Breeze along with it possibly becoming a full on hub! 

Hopefully we'll get new info at the State of the City next month.

• Like 1

Mayor Kenny Alexander said in his remarks at todays press conference that he “Wanted to go to Europe,” and jokingly asked Breeze if they could make that possible. I’m excited for the new planes and nonstop to LA is a dream come true. It is these sort of connections that I hope can increase our status and position as both a place to live and visit from places far and wide and less reliant on drive in tourists from bordering states (OH, WV, PA, MD, DC). I just think that the travel and trade has to go both ways, it can’t be 757 going to LA and Vegas, we need to spark some sort of interest in the west coasters traveling here, especially with the general trend of west coasters leaving for better pastures and bang for their buck. 

Edited by varider
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, varider said:

Mayor Kenny Alexander said in his remarks at todays press conference that he “Wanted to go to Europe,” and jokingly asked Breeze if they could make that possible. I’m excited for the new planes and nonstop to LA is a dream come true. It is these sort of connections that I hope can increase our status and position as both a place to live and visit from places far and wide and less reliant on drive in tourists from bordering states (OH, WV, PA, MD, DC). I just think that the travel and trade has to go both ways, it can’t be 757 going to LA and Vegas, we need to spark some sort of interest in the west coasters traveling here, especially with the general trend of west coasters leaving for better pastures and bang for their buck. 

Hopefully this also leads to more businesses looking at Hampton Roads. The ship sailed on Norfolk Southern due to a lack of direct routes, but this should make us look more appealing. Even Long Island is only a short-ish drive from NYC, although I think we have direct flights to LaGuardia or JFK with other airlines.

Norfolk also has direct flights to Newark, Philly, and Boston. I think we're pretty good when it comes to routes to the major northeast corridor markets.

I have some really good friends that live in LA and so this direct flight is going to be a dream for us. Makes it so much easier to actually get to see each other. I'm also interested in a flight to provo. Southern Utah is absolutely gorgeous, got to go on a road trip all around there some years ago. Would love the opportunity to head out that way on a discount ticket and a rental car to go exploring again.

• Like 4

On 3/8/2022 at 12:53 PM, Urbanlooker said:

Great news! Maybe we need to start work that third terminal? And definitely need to get a second runway somehow someway! Hopefully ORF can continue to expand and Breeze along with it possibly becoming a full on hub! 

Third terminal is very needed and might be likely. About the 2nd runway though, I wonder if the navy will allow it. Last time they shot it down with the excuse that it mingled dangerously with their fight paths or whatever. I guess we will see! 

55 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

Third terminal is very needed and might be likely. About the 2nd runway though, I wonder if the navy will allow it. Last time they shot it down with the excuse that it mingled dangerously with their fight paths or whatever. I guess we will see! 

It sucks we have to be so dependent on the Navy for this. They have such a large presence in our area so you’d think they’d be happy to see the airport expand. Let alone we’re talking about a flight path maybe 75 feet from the current runway…

• Like 4

6 hours ago, walmartjamesbond said:

It sucks we have to be so dependent on the Navy for this. They have such a large presence in our area so you’d think they’d be happy to see the airport expand. Let alone we’re talking about a flight path maybe 75 feet from the current runway…

Here is proof of it: https://www.pilotonline.com/news/transportation/article_9b115e38-b30f-11e9-a078-e739124ab574.html

We tried in 2016: Navy said not necessary.
We pushed in 2019: navy absolutely shut it down by saying no.
If we push again who knows what they will say.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 10:56 PM, BFG said:

At 1:42, the reporter mentions a new PeopleMover replacing the pedestrian bridge. Are we talking another moving walkway, or an actual tram like other airports have? Because if it's the latter, be still my beating heart.

Sadly, it just sounds like it’ll be a moving walkway since it’s “for the pedestrian bridge.” I don’t see a whole tram system being built for a couple hundred feet :(

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lluck002 said:

Sadly, it just sounds like it’ll be a moving walkway since it’s “for the pedestrian bridge.” I don’t see a whole tram system being built for a couple hundred feet :(

Part of me thought maybe it would start at the newly-expanded parking garage, and make its way to the main area. But like you said it’s not that long of a distance to justify the expense. 

The old one was one of the longest in the country, and the upkeep was just to much. I’d be willing to bet this time it will be two separate ones. It will lead to the checkin area / security since they will combine TSA for A, B, and future C. There will be a new Departure and Arrival terminal, similar to Richmond. Super cool to see how this pans out!

• Like 1