Norfolk International Airport

willy

On 10/7/2022 at 8:06 PM, BFG said:

Just saw this on LinkedIn…the FAA promoted ORF to a medium hub, putting them in the same category of airports as Austin and Nashville. 

6745C00C-7D13-4245-9376-3F5A45686836.jpeg

Ooooooo!

What exactly does this do for us? More focus put onto expansion and funding of our Airport? Only the title? More flight options to come? 

Also, side note, are we the only Medium Hub in VA or is Richmond also with us on this?

Well, only one step away from being a Large hub now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BFG said:

I think RVA is medium as well. They actually outdid us in boardings for a couple years. Us getting new airlines like Spirit should help. 

ORF comes in at #65, RIC at #67!

ORF is last on the Medium Hub list while RIC is second on the small Hub list.FAA

Edited by Merrittk92
  • Like 3

On 10/8/2022 at 11:59 PM, Merrittk92 said:

ORF comes in at #65, RIC at #67!

ORF is last on the Medium Hub list while RIC is second on the small Hub list.FAA

Oh goodie! I wonder if RIC will be joining us in the next few years? Maybe Surpass us too, idk. But from what I can tell, this is a start. All we gotta do is climb up the ranks. 

1: Expand the Runway or make Double runways. 
2: Expand the terminals and make a new terminal. 
3: Make Norfolk get actual international flights.

• Like 1

This seems like great news. Norfolk is such an interesting case having technically three airports in the region. Thousands of people fly out of NAS Norfolk which is the east coast hub for Europe and Africa (Seattle being the west coasts for the Pacific) with domestic flights and international. Then across the water you have Newport News, I feel like what ever numbers we see on ORF are not encompassing the whole region, I think this parallels how if all the cities were combined our population stats would propel us up some lists. I think ORF achieving great numbers despite so much immediate competition is a great indicator for what is to be expected in the future. 

Edited by Si7i
  • Like 2

Hopefully ORF can keep it up. They're definitely on track to pass 4mil for the first time, if I'm not mistaken. The city/region/FAA should definitely find some solution to get that parallel runway. Overall though there has been a lot of service expansion and additions so passenger numbers should continue to climb. Maybe in the next 5 years we can be looking into an expanded terminal or terminal C? 

Recently RIC refurbished their international/customs area in hopes to get international flights. I wonder why ORF hasn't drawn up plans for an international area? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BFG said:

349K passengers at ORF in September, up 13% from Sept. 2021. Total passengers in 2022 is 3.1M. 

https://www.norfolkairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/September-2022-Media-Release.pdf

My “Wild A$$ Guess” is that when all is said & done for 2022, ORF comes in at just over 4.2 million.  Anyone else care to guess? ;-)

• Like 2

I was always curious as to why Norfolk’s city code was ORF and not something along the lines of NOR, NRF or NFK. Now I know! 

Thepointsguy.com

Why there are no 'N' airport codes in the US

Have you ever wondered why none of the New York-area airports (or any others in the U.S.) use codes beginning with the letter "N"? The answer involves a branch of the U.S. military.

To distinguish naval air stations from others around the country, the U.S. Navy exclusively uses the letter "N" at the start of domestic IATA codes. Because of this arrangement, commercial airports that may seem like a natural fit for having IATA codes beginning with "N" — such as Nashville International Airport (BNA), Tweed New Haven Airport (HVN), and Norfolk International Airport (ORF) — start with other letters.

However, this rule does not apply in other countries, so you'll see the letter "N" at the front of IATA codes for airports like Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS) in the Bahamas and Narita International Airport (NRT) in Tokyo.

Edited by Merrittk92
  • Like 3

On 10/14/2022 at 12:10 AM, Merrittk92 said:

My “Wild A$$ Guess” is that when all is said & done for 2022, ORF comes in at just over 4.2 million.  Anyone else care to guess? ;-)

I think 4.2 million might be right on the money. The real numbers will be in 2023 after Breeze and Spirit fully launch their new services. Thinking we can surpass 4.5 million easy.  Looks like there is active construction at ORF on concourse B, anyone have any idea what it is for?

I’ll go with 4.17M, so basically 4.2 haha…

Over the summer the airport averaged a 14.5% increase year-over-year. I think the percentage comes down a bit in October with a surge in November and December compared to 2021, as it’s the holidays and there’s still people who haven’t seen their families since the start of the pandemic. 

I conservatively estimated a 7.5% increase for October, and 10% during the last two months. 

6 hours ago, walmartjamesbond said:

Looks like there is active construction at ORF on concourse B, anyone have any idea what it is for?

New gates for Breeze maybe?

I keep reading about “construction at ORF!” but no says where they saw this “construction”.  Was it on the ramp?  Was it in the parking lot?  Was it inside the terminal/concourse?  Where is this “construction”??

knowing where the construction is can give us a good idea of what it is about. Also..for God’s sake someone please take a picture!!! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Merrittk92 said:

I keep reading about “construction at ORF!” but no says where they saw this “construction”.  Was it on the ramp?  Was it in the parking lot?  Was it inside the terminal/concourse?  Where is this “construction”??

knowing where the construction is can give us a good idea of what it is about. Also..for God’s sake someone please take a picture!!! 

Post above said concourse B. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

More than 360K passengers in October ‘22 and another record-breaking month. Overall we’re at 3.46M passengers for the year.

Knock on wood, with the holidays around the corner and there being people who haven’t seen their families in two years, I see no reason why ORF doesn’t break 4M this year. 

https://www.norfolkairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/October-2022-Media-Release.pdf

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BFG said:

More than 360K passengers in October ‘22 and another record-breaking month. Overall we’re at 3.46M passengers for the year.

Knock on wood, with the holidays around the corner and there being people who haven’t seen their families in two years, I see no reason why ORF doesn’t break 4M this year. 

https://www.norfolkairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/October-2022-Media-Release.pdf

I will wager that 2022’s # is closer to 4.2 million! 
:tw_glasses:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, walmartjamesbond said:

New Breeze Route:

• Norfolk (ORF) to Los Angeles (LAX) - 2x weekly starting May 19

This will be on another A220. I’ve read reports of two more new routes coming in the future. I would guess San Diego and Provo.

I love it! LA is one of my favorite cities to visit but the last time I went I had one layover going and 2 (!!!) layovers coming home. This will save so much time traveling.