Norfolk International Airport

willy

14 hours ago, vdogg said:

Had to look that up. Honestly not familiar with the area. Confused as to why that's such a popular destination. What's the main attraction there, or do people go there because it's cheaper than flying in to Manhattan?

I would guess. You can take the train straight into the city. When I worked for then most people lived on long island and didn’t want to drive into the city to catch a flight.

• Like 3

November saw 331K passengers, down about 2,000 from November of '21. For the year, ORF's seen 3.79M total passengers. They would only need about 208K in order to break 4M, and not to jinx, but I see no reason why that doesn't happen. Bring on the expansions!

https://www.norfolkairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/November-2022-Media-Release.pdf

• Like 3

This is fantastic news. ORF continues to perform well. I'm surprised they only want to expand concourse A. You would think if the focus is on international flight capacity that building an international Terminal in a concourse C would be more beneficial. This would also give the room to add a customs area. Maybe this will come in the near future though? Anyway I'm excited that ORF is doing so well and continues to perform better every year. 

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 2

Finally. Hopefully we can pull Air Canada and start with direct flights there. I’d like to see some more information on C, but i’m willing to bet they want to modernize A and B first. Ive never even thought about an Airport hotel that’s going to be nice. The crew of the flights who stay over night will be happy!

Edited by walmartjamesbond
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, walmartjamesbond said:

Link to the meeting

Skip to around 7 min

Some additional interesting tid bits after watching that:

-meeting next week with Breeze who have been asking interesting questions 

- load factor is at 81% which is ever so slightly above the national average of 80.7% 

- Spirit might be first to offer international flights? 

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 1

They definitely seem to be gung-ho about international flights within the next year. I'm happy with any destination with nonstop service, although with Half Moone offering cruises to the Bahamas, I would think any of the islands is a bit redundant. 

I don't have access to the council meeting right now, but did I hear the ORF rep. mention Mexico as a possible destination? Could've sworn I read or heard that somewhere.

I also thought ORF had a nonstop to San Diego at some point.

• Like 1

First of all, if that's off the top of your head, I'd hire you for your memory, alone. I fly internationally and to CA for the most part, so ORF has never been of any real utility to me. And, no, Uncle Pete's "Hop To England.Com" campaign didn't entice me either lol.  BK can go, but leave the lobby alone.  I would never use the hotel, but many others would, and it's long, long overdue. I'd like to see more quality food and beverage offerings closer to the gates. People mover is a win.  San Diego for the win! Kudos to the Airport Authority for the  renovations from the past decade. Garage expansion is massive.  I hope we put NN-WMSBRG out of business one day and expand our exceedingly slim advantage over RIC...(despite their marginally better population growth). 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2

I think NN/Williamsburg Airport has its place, even if it's much smaller. As much as I'd love to see their passenger traffic move to ORF and inch closer to the 5M mark, I'd also like to see Norfolk hit that number organically.

Besides, plenty of metros have a secondary smaller airport. In LA, it's Burbank (Bob Hope)...in Chicago, it's Midway...Dallas, Love Field, etc.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 9:37 PM, BFG said:

I think NN/Williamsburg Airport has its place, even if it's much smaller. As much as I'd love to see their passenger traffic move to ORF and inch closer to the 5M mark, I'd also like to see Norfolk hit that number organically.

Besides, plenty of metros have a secondary smaller airport. In LA, it's Burbank (Bob Hope)...in Chicago, it's Midway...Dallas, Love Field, etc.

True, but notice how much larger those metros are than ours. The reason why we have the secondary airport is not because we are large enough for one, per se, it's because of the geographical barrier to entry, i.e., harbor and  the HRBT. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...