Norfolk International Airport

willy

4 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

Absolutely. Im not sure if you can tell, but I was really reallying to avoid directly saying that. I did not feel like starting a war just incase any of them happened to get defensive over it. 

Truth is, they do throw alot of shade over us. If you read the comments that are directed towards us, you can see that its usually somthing about flights, size, and how nice the airport is. However, I think they forget we are one of the only Middle Sized Hubs in the state. 

I dont want to throw shade back at them, because RIC is a nice airport too. However, I will say that it looks like they are a little envious of ours. 

I agree with you completely. I definitely do not want to start a forum war!

Now, back to us just talking about ORF!

12 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

So going back to the airport. What actually needs to be done(project or otherwise) to get international flights? I know having one seamless security area and that's going to be fixed soon. But what else?  

Firstly and most importantly, we need to combine the security. After that, airlines will be able to connect a international to a domestic and vice versa.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

So going back to the airport. What actually needs to be done(project or otherwise) to get international flights? I know having one seamless security area and that's going to be fixed soon. But what else?  

It has to be a demand thing. I know Virginia Beach does a lot of international marketing (I've seen some of their ads in foreign languages, which is cool), and I think having stronger international recognition as a tourist destination is a big one.

The other side is ramping up business/non-tourism travel to international hub cities like Toronto. I live in Erie, PA right now and our airport is technically international and we had flights to Canada a long time ago. I don't think it will take a lot to upgrade the facilities other than make sure they can cater to a reasonably sized commercial flight. I have no idea what the facilities in gate 1 look like.

• Like 3

I don't think there's anything physically preventing us from having international flights other than an airline seeing it as a good business opportunity. I think right now the changes we need to make are more to incentivize airlines to make routes, and that's where I think the one security area and terminal improvements really help us

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BFG said:

I’m surprised no one has tried Toronto or one of the islands, or even Mexico. With Half Moone offering cruises you would think ORF would shoot for at least the Caribbean. 

Southwest has a decent amount of Caribbean destinations and with Spirit starting up at ORF soon, I'm hopeful that there will be enough demand for at least one of those carriers to start up flights down there!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

ORF will be receiving $5.4 mil from the Federal government. It will be put towards a new moving walk way. 

https://www.warner.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/pressreleases?ID=3FF489C2-E955-4466-9A02-049324FE17DE

So as I understand it, they removed the old one just to rebuild it years later? 

Well the old one was just that ... old to the point of needing constant maintenance or breaking down regularly. It was one of the first in the country if I remember right. Why they didn't replace it right then I'm not sure but probably something with funding. Plus I believe the airport has a better leader now than then. 

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, vdogg said:

As of last year, the Norfolk airport overtook the Richmond airport in terms of passengers, he said during a presentation on Wednesday. Norfolk tallied about 4.12 million passengers while Richmond had about 4.07 million. He explained there is friendly boasting as the numbers go up and down between the two.

I feel like this board might secretly be driving local news conversations. 

Another interesting article about Newport News Williamsburg Airport future viability. 

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/newport-news/can-passenger-travel-at-newport-news-williamsburg-airport-survive-long-term-economist-expresses-doubt/

On 3/1/2023 at 9:48 AM, Urbanlooker said:

Well the old one was just that ... old to the point of needing constant maintenance or breaking down regularly. It was one of the first in the country if I remember right. Why they didn't replace it right then I'm not sure but probably something with funding. Plus I believe the airport has a better leader now than then. 

Woah! ORF finally beat out RIC in passengers? Thats definately a surprize to me. What are the drivers that caused this? Tourisim?,Buissness?, Military? 

Edited by mintscraft56